A lesson for would be racists

the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: A lesson for would be racists

Post by the truth »

you bet they will,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Wonder where the guy works. Ive only ever seen a few dozen Jamaicans in kelowna in all my years . Not many of em here .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

my guess superstore maybe
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Jflem1983 wrote:Wonder where the guy works. Ive only ever seen a few dozen Jamaicans in kelowna in all my years . Not many of em here .

I live in Edmonton now. Moved from Kelowna 5.5 years ago.

3 reasons why I stayed out of this thread:

1) There's never a winner in a discussion about racism over the internet

2) As someone who has lived in Vancouver and Edmonton, I laugh when Okanagan residents talk about racism concerns in Vernon or Kelowna... as if 95% of the place isn't white.

3) Maryjane's posts are usually ridiculous and inflammatory and this one is no different. The woman could 100% be terrible and racist, but from what we've been shown/told... it looks like someone else actually labeled the girls in question as thieves. Someone informed the woman in the video that they were stealing. She acted on that, was confronted by some terrible little brats who played the victim and then the woman said something really ignorant/dumb.

Not much of a talking point and not even worth the time it's gotten IMO.
davis123
Board Meister

Post by davis123 »

the truth wrote: , just as i thought ,

Ka-El wrote:Yes, that explains a lot. We know the girls are thieves. No excuse. But "rez" is not "reserve". This really is hard for you, isn't it? Instead of just deciding to make a choice not to use inflammatory language and be a *bleep*, you will go to extraordinary lengths to convince yourself (you're not convincing anyone else) that being racist can be excusable. Sad.

[icon_lol2.gif] Do you hear yourself Ka-El? So 'rez' is Inflammatory language now? So we would expect to never hear anyone using that word, particularly native people, right? What a crock of crap! It's common knowledge that reserve is abbreviated to rez by most people, ESPECIALLY by natives who live on the rez. What's next, people who say BC instead of British Columbia are racist too?

/rɛz/
noun
(US & Canadian) a slang word for reserve (sense 8), reservation (sense 4)
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly................ :up:
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Jflem1983 wrote:Jeez. Its like i died and woke up in Berkley. What a nightmare. God forbid anyone have an opinion that differs from verum. They are for sure racist if they do.

Please save your white guilt for someone who cares.

Lots of people with very different opinions to me are not racist, and nowhere did I say you were a racist. Also, I don't believe in having White guilt, I actively discourage people from feeling personally responsible for the actions of their forefathers because it is a bad way forward, but of course, you will feel free to pretend that I take a position I completely do not. Your inability to actually argue against what I wrote, rather than what you want to pretend I wrote is your problem, not mine.

Jflem1983 wrote:Whats actually funny. Im pretty well traveled. Born overseas. Have indonesian family. Muslim family. But i get held up as a RACIST. Oh well. One would think such a highly educated individual like verum would be above name calling .. guess not.

Your claim to being well travelled, born overseas, Indonesian family, Muslim family, etc. clearly have absolutely nothing to do with whether you are a racist or not. Slave traders from back in the day were some of the most widely travelled of all, but that didn't stop them, so trying to use it as a claim to not being racist is absurd. If you wish to refute what I wrote, please have at it, but please stop pretending I wrote something I did not.

By the way, calling someone a racist is not "name calling" it is labelling someone and when the behaviour fits, you use it. I trust you wouldn't fail to call someone who rapes young girls a paedophile or someone who sets things on fire an arsonist. I have not called you a racist, though I have called some of your behaviour such because that is what it looks like.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

so you get to decide ,who and what is a racist now, seems like you and some on here are the racist ones
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

davis123 wrote: So 'rez' is Inflammatory language now?

:135: When it is deliberately used as a racist insult? Do you hear yourself?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

fvkasm2x wrote: It's complete BS and surreal... that now I have to worry about my status at work because someone misunderstood something and took offense.

Yes, unfortunately we are all being challenged to be a little more aware of what is going on with this issue today, but I really doubt you will have any issues as it sounds from your description that this was a mere misunderstanding on someone else's part that you cleared up. That is the difference. You can thank the right extremists for fostering this polarization by defending and making excuses for racism instead of just accepting it is a very real issue (as evidenced here on these boards) and deciding to be part of the solution instead of the problem. Like you I also tend to avoid these threads for the most part as “debating” with racists more interested in rationalizing and justifying their behavior than having any interest in self-examination or growth is a hopeless endeavor. However, as the expression goes, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” This is indeed an ugly argument, but the excuses for racism cannot go unchallenged.

fvkasm2x wrote: Maryjane's posts are usually ridiculous and inflammatory and this one is no different. The woman could 100% be terrible and racist, but from what we've been shown/told... it looks like someone else actually labeled the girls in question as thieves. Someone informed the woman in the video that they were stealing. She acted on that, was confronted by some terrible little brats who played the victim and then the woman said something really ignorant/dumb.

I agree her posts are usually ridiculous and inflammatory (I think she is having a contest with the fishing guy to see who can start the most ridiculous and inflammatory thread topics), but it seems the initial issue was the girls being told to “go back to the rez”. All these other issues that were introduced and created were deflections from the store woman saying something really ignorant and dumb. If some of the posters here could at least acknowledge that, then the rest of what they say might be taken more seriously.

the truth wrote:exactly................ :up:

and that's the truth 10/10 :up:
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

the truth wrote:so you get to decide ,who and what is a racist now, seems like you and some on here are the racist ones

Please cite where and how I was being racist.
I didn't define the term racist, I just apply it and yes if I see racist behaviour I feel free to call people out on it, which I have done with detail and not with the unsubstantiated hand waving approach you have used. If you can reasonably explain what I have said which is racist, please do. Otherwise, please refrain from calling me racist without cause.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

calling people racists ,also makes you a racist,that simple
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

the truth wrote:calling people racists ,also makes you a racist,that simple

"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- John Stuart Mill
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

mr mill born in 1806, was also a ----political economist, could you of found a more useless example [icon_lol2.gif] [icon_lol2.gif]
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

the truth wrote:calling people racists ,also makes you a racist,that simple

That is quite simply one of the most illogical, stupid things I have ever read in my life. It makes no sense and is a complete non sequitur

Return to “Canada”