Lapdog brutally attacked...

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Lapdog brutally attacked...

Post by Fancy »

Not a fan of muzzles if they aren't required - only for those that have issues.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Fancy wrote:Not a fan of muzzles if they aren't required - only for those that have issues.

Muzzles can bring aggression out in dogs, I'm not a fan of them either. Why have dogs allowed at all if we decide they can only safely coexist if we cage their faces? How about we hold the humans who own and train them accountable instead?
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

dle wrote:I am a strong proponent of leashes AND muzzles for all dogs outside in public places.

Leashes are mandatory. I am curious as to the dogs you've owned and muzzled. How did they cope? The ones I know not so well.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Fancy wrote:
dle wrote:I am a strong proponent of leashes AND muzzles for all dogs outside in public places.

Leashes are mandatory. I am curious as to the dogs you've owned and muzzled. How did they cope? The ones I know not so well.

Two dogs. Only one got the muzzle - AND RARELY - only if we were taking him around a lot of unfamiliar people. They mostly lived in their own yard so wasn't necessary but we introduced them to it for the times they might be out in public. We didn't want our dog to maybe bite a person. One was a Bichon - he never wore the muzzle but was fine with it. He was a snuggly medium-sized bundle of white fluff with zero appetite to bite or snap EVER even at the cat. Chased the cat once in a while when the cat asked for it. The Bichon didn't like paying attention though. One was a Heinz 57 small/med size. He was kind of shy - I NEVER saw him snap or nip - except at the cat - who like I said, asked for it, but there was something about him - he was a bit standoffish or something - I just wouldn't vouch for him. He didn't like the muzzle but he wore it fine in public. MOST of the time the dogs were in their own yard, or out for a car ride to DQ for a softserve so they rarely had to be muzzled. They didn't show any aggressive tendencies but I wouldn't swear that one wouldn't bite if he had a mind to - they were dogs. To get them used to it, for short periods of time in playtime we would do things like put a soft stretch headband around their snouts to get them "acquainted" with the feel of something around their snouts, or just gently hold their snouts closed, never tightly. A muzzle, at least the thing we had, doesn't hold their snouts tightly closed. They never panicked with the headband -if it bugged them they just took it off themselves with a swipe of their paw. It was only to get them used to the very SELDOM periods they might be out in public and have to have something - the soft muzzle - around their face. The muzzle (the one we had anyway) wasn't tight, and it wasn't any kind of "cage" like one poster said, this was a soft leather thing, might even have been something my Dad rigged up, but it looked similar to those walking trainer things, kind of like a horse bridle but with two straps. They could still open their jaws a bit, just not wide enough to bite. Remember, for our dog, the only time the muzzle was ever used was if we were out walking in unfamiliar public so it was seldom. I too could easily have said "my dog would never hurt anyone and doesn't bite" and mean every word of it. It was to protect our dog from POSSIBLY biting a human.

On the subject of leashes, leashes weren't required but we used them because we didn't want our dogs to get hit by a car. They were obedience trained - one was a much more "advanced" student than the other lol but they knew heel, stop on command, sit, lie down and stay. But dogs are fast and if your back is turned they could dart into traffic before you can give a command - leash is safer for them. Back in those days obedience training classes were done with choke-chain - which I hated but was assured it didn't hurt them. It was all about the noise of the sliding chain I was told. I still didn't like them so I didn't "yank" it, I just gave a short tug to make the noise. I wouldn't put anything on my dog to hurt it. They were smart and they learned. All that being said - dogs are still dogs and can be unpredictable - a smell can set them off - a smell can make them want to chase - we didn't want them to run into traffic. There was a lot less traffic back then too but we leashed them.

I guess bottom line, if your dog shows ANY aggressive tendencies, and he won't calmly accept a muzzle or leash, then I don't think he SHOULD be anywhere other than his own fenced yard.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

dle wrote:One was a Bichon - he never wore the muzzle but was fine with it.

Hmmmmmm.........I can guess that he probably would be fine with muzzles if he never wore a muzzle. :up:
You and 71 others Like this post
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

LANDM wrote:
dle wrote:One was a Bichon - he never wore the muzzle but was fine with it.

Hmmmmmm.........I can guess that he probably would be fine with muzzles if he never wore a muzzle. :up:

hahaha! yes, I can see that needs some clarification :D ! He was acquainted with it in case we ever had to use it and it didn't seem to faze him - nothing fazed that one - but we never put it on him for occasional walks around the neighbhourhood. He didn't like to walk too far and preferred his own yard. That was then, this is now, and that being said, the way I feel about the matter today, I think I'd muzzle him too if we were going in public. My belief is that it's just probably a good idea for all dogs these days - even the ones we are 'SURE' wouldn't hurt a flea, like the fluff-ball. That's kind of my point. I "knew" our Bichon wouldn't bite so he wasn't muzzled, wasn't 100% sure about the other so he was. Nowadays, I'd err on the side of caution and muzzle all dogs in public, just in case.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

dle wrote:That's kind of my point. I "knew" our Bichon wouldn't bite so he wasn't muzzled,

The 1 Bichon we knew was too dumb to bite anyone!
Nice dog but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Bsuds wrote:
dle wrote:That's kind of my point. I "knew" our Bichon wouldn't bite so he wasn't muzzled,

The 1 Bichon we knew was too dumb to bite anyone!
Nice dog but not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Yep...snuggly fluff ball...between the ears and on the outside :biggrin:
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Dec 31st, 2017, 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: feel free to troll elsewhere.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

capleton wrote:What good are those small dogs? they are useless, ..

Certainly aren't useless - they are good companions especially for seniors and those that can't handle big dogs. Don't forget all the stratas that only allow certain sized dogs as well.

Return to “Central Okanagan”