Milk dispensers

A potpourri of off-topics.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Milk dispensers

Post by Queen K »

Happy New Year GB, :130: <--------now the beer mugs, THOSE are refillable!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
OldIslander
Board Meister

Post by OldIslander »

GordonH wrote:The another -- NOCA (North Okanagan Creamery Association)

Wow, that brings back memories. Back from the mid-50's to the mid-60's, our family had NOCA milk delivered to our doorstep every morning, in bottles like this:

While modern marketers might question the font chosen by NOCA for their bottles, it is distinctive, and I remember it clearly, 50 years later.... :up:
“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.” Ernest Benn
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

When I was just knee high to a grasshopper, (Saskatoon) I have fond memories of milk delivery door to door, in glass bottles with paper tops. The cream that had risen to the top of the bottle was spooned out and used for coffee or dessert use.

Believe it or not it was by horse drawn wagon. Yes, it is TRUE! The horse knew exactly where to stop next and the delivery guy would nip out of his wagon that had open doors on both sides. I bought peppermints for the horse, a mutual treat.

If that method was used today, the delivery man would be mowed down by nutty drivers.

Oh, as well, he couldn't get around due to unplowed roads. (It IS Necessary to comment on road conditions, right??) [icon_lol2.gif]
Last edited by Catsumi on Jan 1st, 2018, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

^^^Put the empties out by the front door with a note saying how many you'd like. Our milk man also delivered eggs.

Cats knew which days the milk was delivered - patiently waited hoping the bottles would be put on the counter for a minute or two before being put in the fridge so they could take a few licks of the frozen cream sticking out from the top of the bottles.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

My father was a milk man and I had the privilege of working with him on Sundays for a dollar a day! Milk was 33 cents a quart. We also carried cream and eggs. Sometimes there was chocolate milk, orange juice and egg nog. We would just make it home in time to view the offerings of Walt Disney. If it was a snowy weather day and we were going to be later than 6, my father would drop me off at home and then go unload and turn in the cash without me. :)

One winter day when we rounded a corner the basket tipped and out the door 3 glass bottles of milk went and slid down the street! They were rounded up and delivered to their intended destination.

When I was 14, I worked at the dairy filling the glass bottles with milk. It was every day afterschool and on Sundays. It allowed me to buy Poppy Family and Olivia Newton John records.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Ahhwwwaaa,
The good old days, when parachuting was dangerous and sex was safe.
When a screw was just a screw.
When a *bleep*, was a cigarette.
When being gay was just being happy.
When a swing was just a child's ride.

What has this perverted world become?
Bring back the LIKE button.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Never had the need for delivery, had a huge supply of fresh milk nice and cold. With fresh milk came both cream & butter (shake a gallon jar of cream for about 25 minutes you get a softball size of butter).
Fresh milk also provided us with cottage cheese, yogurt & ice cream.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Piecemaker wrote:My father was a milk man and I had the privilege of working with him on Sundays for a dollar a day! Milk was 33 cents a quart. We also carried cream and eggs. Sometimes there was chocolate milk, orange juice and egg nog. We would just make it home in time to view the offerings of Walt Disney. If it was a snowy weather day and we were going to be later than 6, my father would drop me off at home and then go unload and turn in the cash without me. :)

One winter day when we rounded a corner the basket tipped and out the door 3 glass bottles of milk went and slid down the street! They were rounded up and delivered to their intended destination.

When I was 14, I worked at the dairy filling the glass bottles with milk. It was every day afterschool and on Sundays. It allowed me to buy Poppy Family and Olivia Newton John records.

Speaking of memories... the Poppy Family... which way you goin' billy
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

Can I come too...

When there was a glut of milk and it would be poured down the drain, my mother sometimes made cottage cheese out of it.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

With 9 kids underfoot and making everything from scratch, granny didn't worry about having leftover milk. If by chance the cows were in a good mood and feeling generous leaving granny with some extra milk she'd make a milk pie.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Milk Pie? Is it a custard pie maybe?
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Piecemaker »

We ate a lot of custard pie too. A lot...
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

GordonH wrote:

Never had the need for delivery, had a huge supply of fresh milk nice and cold. With fresh milk came both cream & butter (shake a gallon jar of cream for about 25 minutes you get a softball size of butter).
Fresh milk also provided us with cottage cheese, yogurt & ice cream.

Remember those day well. Late 40's, 50's the cows delivered the milk to dad and I and we delivered it fresh to the house. I got to separate it and we used it the same as you, fresh daily. Cream was taken 6 miles to the train every day and the empty cans were picked up to be refilled. Our cats waited behind the cows to get shot in the face with fresh warn milk. Those were good times and the dispensers worked well. I used to love the fresh buttermilk, not so much the commercial crap you get today.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
whitecandle
Board Meister

Post by whitecandle »

Catsumi wrote:Milk Pie? Is it a custard pie maybe?

Custard pies used eggs for thickening - milk pie was a simple version using flour as the thickening agent.

Granny’s Milk Pie
1 unbaked pie shell
1 cup sugar – mixture of brown and white but more white than brown
dash of salt
1/4 cup or less flour
1/2 cup cream
milk
nutmeg

Mix flour, sugar and salt in pie shell with your finger. Add cream then finish filling crust with milk. Sprinkle with nutmeg and bake in hot oven for 15 minutes then reduce oven to moderate heat and bake additional 40 minutes or until set.

Note: Hot oven – 400°C; moderate oven – 350°F
Remember yesterday. Dream tomorrow. Live like crazy today.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

alanjh595 wrote:How much mild does one need that they can't go without for 2 days?

Anyone that NEEDS that much milk, should have been prepared for a 2 day delay.

If this is a really big problem, why not just have powdered milk in the cupboard in the event of a 2 day emergency back-up?

Canned milk is always a good backup item to have on the shelf.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien

Return to “Grab Bag”