Cutting Cable

Computer questions/solutions, technology news, science topics.
divisive

Cutting Cable

Post by divisive »

Good afternoon. We have been thinking about cutting our cable for some time now. We have a friends (who don't live locally)with android boxes who love them but don't watch sports. We wonder if we would still be able to get live hockey, football, etc. I love having a PVR but thought that android boxes wouldn't offer that. I have since read that some of them do. We also have read about indoor/outdoor digital TV antennas but don't know anyone who has one, and we wonder if this would work in Kelowna.

I am hoping that some of you who have ditched cable for alternative TV viewing avenues would be able to share what is working for you that perhaps would also be what we are looking for. If anyone has tried using an antenna, we would like to know about that experience also.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Cutting Cable

Post by Bsuds »

The OTA antenna will only give you the local CHBC (Global) station.
As to the rest I don't have experience with but know some who are quite happy with what they get.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Sports is hit and miss with the boxes.

Heres the thing about the boxes. They arevonly as good as the repositorys that u have downladed. Repositorys are like lists of content providers you can access. Sports is probably the very toughest thing to find good feeds.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

Iv done this for the last 2 years. The only thing I watch is Netflix. Nhl gamecenter stream (free with Rogers Cell phone) and youtube.

Thats it....I do have a kodi box that is hit and miss alot of the time because i dont care to update it.

internet is more important in my house.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

If u have amazon prime. Its video service is getting better. Costs nothing if u have prime
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Haven't had cable for about 8 years now.

Netflix is great if you're not a TV junkie. I'm fine with waiting a little extra longer for my episodes/movies. Many TV websites will let you steam TV shows directly from their sites. I download some movies or TV series I can't get elsewhere, but that's less than 5% of our viewing.

NEWS and Sports are definitely a gap. We don't watch sports so that's not an issue. I get my news online and actually prefer it that way.
budsy47

Post by budsy47 »

There are plenty of IPTV services......get a box from them or get an Android box from (wherever u want...Amazon,,,50 to 150 bucks) sign on for IPTV service (ex SETV--cost 20 per month) watch all major stations,,,sports (TSN/FOX etc/ news and UFC PPV).
OR try this guy http://www.androidfreetv.ca
I have highspeed internet, android box and setv. Good to go for me All tsn is there

Return to “Computers, Science, Technology”