How the OIL SANDS benefits all of Canada

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

How the OIL SANDS benefits all of Canada

Post by vegas1500 »

Interesting article.... not meant to start another oil sands bashing thread so please don’t.....

https://context.capp.ca/infographics/20 ... pply-chain
Snman
Übergod

Re: How the OIL SANDS benefits all of Canada

Post by Snman »

Thanx for posting that. All Canadians need to become aware of the benefits of Alberta's oil to the ENTIRE country.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I'm sure oil's days are limited but in the mean time all Canadians should know how we benefit from the oilfields/oil sands. It's amazing when you figure that article just talks about spin offs and not direct things like jobs in the oil fields, taxes and the many other benefits that we all also benefit from in one way or another.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

There are over 6000 things made from oil so I don't think we are going to be without it for a very long time.

https://www.quora.com/What-are-some-of- ... -crude-oil
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Corneliousrooster »

Now subtract the gov't subsidies to the oil companies....... It is really not that impressive.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/ ... on-trudeau

Humans are collectively not that bright - but hey, who doesn't love money despite everything that is wrong in the process to attain it?
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

Good to see.
And as usual we have : https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#215146 Ever think he knows where the money comes from that is paid to his compatriots?
The oil sands are a benefit to this country and we need to sell the stuff off shore to really benefit. I'd like to see the bitumen up-graded in Canada though before selling out of country.
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

[quote="seewood]we need to sell the stuff off shore to really benefit.[/quote]

Extracting oil in the most expensive way possible and then shipping it to the other side of the planet.......seems logical
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Corneliousrooster wrote:[quote="seewood]we need to sell the stuff off shore to really benefit.[/quote]

Extracting oil in the most expensive way possible and then shipping it to the other side of the planet.......seems logical[/quote]

So you’re against the oil sands.....where do you live? Just curious.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

vegas1500 wrote:
So you’re against the oil sands.....where do you live? Just curious.

Irrelevant - I would be against this if ANY country thought this was a good idea, just embarrassed that it is mine.

Human nature is the path of least resistance and the fear of change - I get that. Just tired of the same defeatist arguements like " do you drive?" "Do you use plastic?" " if you do you can't argue against it". - I am a product of the world that I was brought up in and still I can see the stupidity of it and refuse to condone it, even if it needs to be tolerated for the time being. I just hope the next generation is not as ethically bankrupt as mine and the ones before me. What a mess we are continuing to pass down the line. But yeah let's collectively pat ourselves on the back because some gloves are made in bc that are used in the oilfields so the economic benefits must outweigh the lack of logic or evolution ...
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Corneliousrooster wrote: Human nature is the path of least resistance and the fear of change - I get that. Just tired of the same defeatist arguements like " do you drive?" "Do you use plastic?" " if you do you can't argue against it". - I am a product of the world that I was brought up in and still I can see the stupidity of it and refuse to condone it, even if it needs to be tolerated for the time being. I just hope the next generation is not as ethically bankrupt as mine and the ones before me. What a mess we are continuing to pass down the line.

Good post Cornelious, and you make some very good points. I wholeheartedly agree that ongoing evolution is inevitable, and that humankind will ultimately have to find a way to exist and prosper without the use of fossil fuels, and just as (if not more) importantly, its by-products (some of which that are allowing us to engage in this very exercise). It may be (is) an environmentally destructive endeavor, but like you have noted, “it needs to be tolerated for the time being”. Unfortunately, the reality is (I believe) that we will be dependent, in different ways and to varying degrees, on oil and its by-products for many years yet, decades even. I’m not suggesting we don’t explore and develop alternatives, but let’s not cut off our noses to spite our face. We need a plan and we need to commit to that plan, but for more than a couple decades yet we are going to be needing oil. The oil sands are important to Canadians. What we should focus on for now (again – my opinion) is ensuring we extract, transport and refine all the products in the safest (pipelines instead of trains, for example) manner possible.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I can live with fuel efficient or alternative fuel vehicles, but especially this time of year i can't live without Saran Wrap!
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

As soon as we have viable, efficient substitutes for all the things oil provides, this will be a moot point.
In the meantime we are still very dependent, oil products exist for a reason. No sense in getting in a lather, but we do need to heat a cold country , we still need fuel for transport, and a million manufactured products. Just give us an alternative for these and I am in.
Corneliousrooster
Grand Pooh-bah

Silverstarqueen wrote:and a million manufactured products. Just give us an alternative for these and I am in.

Reduce/Reuse/Recycle is a good start - a culture of entitlement has the majority of people buying everything new - 90% of the crap on the dollar stores shelves is crappy plastic - most kids toys are crappy plastic (and then the kids prefer to play with the packaging more than the contents) -

The culture of blind consumerism with no consequences is probably a bigger problem than the fuel pig trucks driving all over the place (that are also luxuries, not necessities in the vast majority of cases).

Supply and demand - as long as the consumer habit is to make vapid purchases there will be companies producing products to fill the demand.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

I agree Silverstarqueen but it has to be viable alternatives that don't turn us into a third world country. There are some alternatives out there but so far they are out of reach for the average Canadian. We have to do this properly to look after all aspects of Canadian life .
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
spooker

Post by spooker »

As long as we default to the convenience of products coming from oil there won't be much pressure to develop alternatives that are realistic and viable ...

We have to take responsibility for the situation we're in ... we've taken the easy route through life and it's beginning to bite us in the behind ...

We let corporations be only beholden to their shareholders ... we demand lower prices ... no one wins ...

Sure, I'm being a bit glib and generalizing, but between the firestorms of the summer and the snowmaggedons of winter I think we need to start using our noodles ... not just instinctively buy into the consumerism that drives the cycle ...

Did anyone notice how the original article that OP posted was created by the petroleum producers? Don't they want to be on our good side? Let's just talk about how we're addicted and how it's good for us :up:

Return to “Social Concerns”