Poor driving habits

Home of the traffic rant.
my5cents
Guru

Re: poor driving habits

Post by my5cents »

TreeGuy wrote:Like a bad driver your points in this post are all over the place, mountain passes, snow in Kelowna and speeders on the bridge.

I will take mountain passes for $500 Alex

Alex: “This roadway is used to distribute goods across BC and Canada.
Me: “What is the Coquihalla”

Mountain passes for $300

Alex: “These are the people who should not be on the Coquihalla”
Me: “Who are the whitenuckle drivers”

Mountain passes for $200

Alex: “They unreliable, lack maintenance and their black round parts are bald”
Me: “What type of cars shouldn’t be on the Coquihalla”

Joking aside, I think there should be an endorsement on our drivers license for driving the mountains in the winter. You take a course and you get the endorsement.

I’ve traveled to the coast numerous times in the winter without issue. It’s not always the highways or winter weather to blame.

The topic is "poor driving habits", the creator of the topic was kaitlyn. She sorta can dictate which driving actions she wants to discuss, can't she ?

Anyone other than kaitlyn could be accused of being off topic...

Is there a rule somewhere that if a person wants to talk about a short fall in some action, in this case driving, that one can only discuss one area of that short fall ?

It's not like the topic was "Driving on Snowy Mountain Passes" and then she started introducing speeding on the floating bridge.

I didn't see anything wrong with the contents of her post ?

"I'll take unreasonable for $500 Alex"
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

TreeGuy wrote:Like a bad driver your points in this post are all over the place, mountain passes, snow in Kelowna and speeders on the bridge.

I will take mountain passes for $500 Alex

Alex: “This roadway is used to distribute goods across BC and Canada.
Me: “What is the Coquihalla”

Mountain passes for $300

Alex: “These are the people who should not be on the Coquihalla”
Me: “Who are the whitenuckle drivers”

Mountain passes for $200

Alex: “They unreliable, lack maintenance and their black round parts are bald”
Me: “What type of cars shouldn’t be on the Coquihalla”

Joking aside, I think there should be an endorsement on our drivers license for driving the mountains in the winter. You take a course and you get the endorsement.

I’ve traveled to the coast numerous times in the winter without issue. It’s not always the highways or winter weather to blame.

my5cents wrote:The topic is "poor driving habits", the creator of the topic was kaitlyn. She sorta can dictate which driving actions she wants to discuss, can't she ?

Anyone other than kaitlyn could be accused of being off topic...

Is there a rule somewhere that if a person wants to talk about a short fall in some action, in this case driving, that one can only discuss one area of that short fall ?

It's not like the topic was "Driving on Snowy Mountain Passes" and then she started introducing speeding on the floating bridge.

I didn't see anything wrong with the contents of her post ?

"I'll take unreasonable for $500 Alex"

I was just being funny. *note the part where I said “joking aside”

“I’ll take A Sense Of Humour for $1000 Alex”

Happy New year!
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

BACK INTO all your parking spots while you've ALREADY taken note and considered all the risks at that time, pedestrians, bicyclists, skateboarders etc on your approach to your parking spot.
When your done in the store etc, simply drive out.

Situations change, maybe some idiot parked impossibly close to you to back out and leave, maybe pedestrian traffic increased many times over.

IMO this will save you many close calls.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

jimmy4321 wrote:BACK INTO all your parking spots while you've ALREADY taken note and considered all the risks at that time, pedestrians, bicyclists, skateboarders etc on your approach to your parking spot.
When your done in the store etc, simply drive out.

Situations change, maybe some idiot parked impossibly close to you to back out and leave, maybe pedestrian traffic increased many times over.

IMO this will save you many close calls.

While this is not a bad idea it does not always work. If someone pulls into the spot behind you and is too close then you can't get into the trunk/back of your car to put your groceries etc in.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Poor driving habits

Post by Jflem1983 »

I drive a lifted up flat deck. Park to close behind me. Ill crush it :biggrin: :200:
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

It’s not always the highways or winter weather to blame.

99.9% of all "accidents" are not accidents. They are driver error. Regardless of conditions. Sometimes, you jusy have to stay off the roads. In fact, we are at times asked to stay off the roads dues to poor driving conditions but there is always that group of immortals who do anyway. They keep the tow trucks in business.

I have driven the Coquihalla countless times in the winter. I hate it. I am more nervous about it today than I used to be and that is all about other drivers. I watch them come up on me from a mile or so back and time them to see how long it will be before they pass me.

I just don't understand the need some folks have to disregard their own safety and the safety of those around them.

Eventually, driving recklessly will catch up with them. It always does.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

You know the person who drives like a sloth, causes multiple accidents and close calls, white knuckles every trip, slows and meanders unnecessarily, brakes dragging down hills and brake checking every corner and imaginary danger, causes havoc, backs out of parking spots without even looking, forgets their headlights and turn signals, and has bumps and scratches all over their jalopy?

What is " I'me from out of Province?
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

As for having to drive 40 on the hwy. Ive been there too in a few blizzards with roads closed either side of me. More recent on hwy 16 thru edson had to drive real slow thru a blizzard. Truckers blew my doors off i was a hazard to them. I couldnt see the road was driving by feel. Im guessing real truckers get pretty good at it

Nope. Real truckers are the best drivers because the know when to jump on it and when not to. When you see trucks driving at or near the optimum road condition speeds in inclement weather, they are bad drivers too.

While they may know their rigs and may rack up countless miles, they aren't the only ones on the road, a fact they often seem to forget and if you are dumb enough to not factor in what other drivers might do or not do, you are an idiot and I don't care how long you've been driving.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Four wheel drive can give you a false sense of invisibility.

Hah!!!! Busted!!!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Road conditions can change very quickly.
Bring back the LIKE button.
gsc
Board Meister

Post by gsc »

So yesterday night there was a car half in a snow bank and half on the road blocking Quigley. The car was on the corner of Hollywood road South and Quigley.

If someone came around that corner a little bit fast the whole back end of the car would be gone. No one was around the owner just left it there partially in a snow bank half blocking a road.

If that's not poor driving habits I don't know what is. Your vehicle is equipped with four way flashers for a reason. If that was my vehicle I would not be leaving it on a dark corner in a snow bank. I would stay with it and turn on my flashers to let people know it is there. If I didn't have my phone knock on the door and them to call a tow truck or a family member for you.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

oldtrucker wrote:10 years-ish ago,it was perfectly okay to talk on/ use a electronic device, talk on the VHS radio, fly thru the gears with a 18 speed and eat lunch-all at the same time. Pros don't have any problems with multitasking in this way.
While being captain of a aircraft-operating a machine that is 1000 times more complicated than any land machine in 3 dimensions, doing IFR approaches and talking to multiple controllers.
I find it insulting to be told by my government that my fellow pilots , pro drivers, myself that we are not capable of using a simple hand held device while driving. Talking on the phone etc... should be based on the skill level of the operator-not a blanket rule that fits all. It doesn't fit all. I'm glad someone warned me about the dangers...I guess I should have died from it decades ago.
You hear that fellow aviators? pro drivers? It might be dangerous for you to use certain devices... :panic:

You can talk on your cellphone... it's called getting hands free blue tooth device. Of course don't be f :cuss: ing idiot & text while driving.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Are you suggesting that distracted driving penalties should not be applicable to those with certain classes of licence levels?

What about someone like me that has a "class 1*6" and driving a class 5 vehicle? Should I be exempt from the law?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

oldtrucker wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:Are you suggesting that distracted driving penalties should not be applicable to those with certain classes of licence levels?

What about someone like me that has a "class 1*6" and driving a class 5 vehicle? Should I be exempt from the law?

If you are capable of handling your machine perfectly ...Yes. Well...exempt? There should be exemptions for those that have demonstrated a skill level above and beyond. You have a class 1.You know that you could eat any class5 driver for breakfast when it comes to skill.
Maybe we should have stickers like a 'N', except make the sticker 'CL-1,O'. The 'O' is for Old. :biggrin:

so therefore, your answer is NO.....they should not be exempt from the law. Just like class 2 drivers, buses, should not be exempt from the law? Right? How about school bus drivers? They also have superior driving skills over the class 5. Would you want your grandchildren on that school bus?

Where do you draw the line?
dodgerdodge
Lord of the Board

Post by dodgerdodge »

oldtrucker wrote:10 years-ish ago,it was perfectly okay to talk on/ use a electronic device, talk on the VHS radio, fly thru the gears with a 18 speed and eat lunch-all at the same time. Pros don't have any problems with multitasking in this way.
While being captain of a aircraft-operating a machine that is 1000 times more complicated than any land machine in 3 dimensions, doing IFR approaches and talking to multiple controllers.
I find it insulting to be told by my government that my fellow pilots , pro drivers, myself that we are not capable of using a simple hand held device while driving. Talking on the phone etc... should be based on the skill level of the operator-not a blanket rule that fits all. It doesn't fit all. I'm glad someone warned me about the dangers...I guess I should have died from it decades ago.
You hear that fellow aviators? pro drivers? It might be dangerous for you to use certain devices... :panic:

March 10th 2018 in the "close highways sooner" thread, you personally said, and i quote:
There is no such thing as a 'professional' driver.

Maybe you care to enlighten us on the "pros don't have a problem" comment? [icon_lol2.gif]

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”