Flood Review

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Flood Review

Post by Fancy »

It's likely the assessments also include water content - another reason why assessments are complex.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

cv23 wrote:Clearly doing the snowpack assessment once a month, or even twice a month during the spring, was/is no where near often enough especially since anyone can go to the Big White website and get rough idea of snowpack information for that area 24/7.
http://www.bigwhite.com/geo/kel

You bring up a good point. If there is anything that we should learn from this past year it is that the April 1 to May 1 readings might be too far apart. This is NOT the dam[n] operator's fault at all. He only had the data he had to work with. It's tempting to look at single stations, but often parts of the watershed are way above normal while others are way below normal, so making an assessment based upon a couple of stations could be a problem in terms of liability if he incorrectly makes an assessment of conditions before scientific rigor has been applied to the basin-wide data.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

you guys realize that a lot of the snow that feeds the lake falls in the spring right just because the flowers are blooming in town doesn't mean its not snowing up high this isn't something new you can still go snowmobiling in june
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

LTD wrote:you think it all just fell at once ? there was lots of warning here if you spend any time in the mountains, the lake was also almost full still. I helped a friend shovel sand into barrels on his dock before any of it even started to flood, he saw it coming 40 plus years here and he said hes never seen the lake that high at that time of year go figure. maybe you guys all work for the water management board I dunno but I do know some major mistakes where made that cost the taxpayer a lot of dough to blame it all on mother nature is wrong they got caught with their pants down and we pay for it

Also, it's the 21st century, so fish are more important than humans. If you screw up and flood people out, insurance and government foot the bill. If you underestimate snowpack, you kill fish, and that would get you sued by First Nations and well funded environmentalist organizations.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I'm sure there's more than a few posters that head to hills for fun and know what the conditions are like at any given time of the year. We knew the ground was saturated and prepared for the flooding. There's just more to what happened so I'm not blaming one person for sleeping at the wheel.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

no but youre pretty quick to just jump on the mother natures fault bandwagon instead of looking at the big picture and accepting that some major screw ups were made to allow that kind of flooding to take place to blame it on the snow pack and warm temps is bs theres a lot of room above full pool before serious flooding starts so think about how overfull the lake really was
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Fine then, drain it all, think how many condo's could be build for infill..

Better to have a bit too much water than not enough.

Build on a floodplain ? Smart money says you'll get flooded now...and again...

Regional lakes that have zero connection to Okanagan Lake also were at record high levels..

Hmmmm......

I know a house on a local lake that was built in the late '40's, never ever had an issue, last year
without massive efforts you could have floated it away.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:no but youre pretty quick to just jump on the mother natures fault bandwagon instead of looking at the big picture and accepting that some major screw ups were made to allow that kind of flooding to take place to blame it on the snow pack and warm temps is bs theres a lot of room above full pool before serious flooding starts so think about how overfull the lake really was

Saying I'm not blaming one person is jumping on a bandwagon?
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

probly find a lot of bodies if it were drained to
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

“In that April period, we were waiting for the sockeye to get to that stage where we could wash them down to Osoyoos Lake, but I actually told them 'we can’t wait,'” Reimer said. “We certainly didn’t wait that long, so the third week of April we really started ramping up our flows to beyond design capacity of the Okanagan Channel.”

Even if he had opened the dam a full week earlier, the lake would be about 12 centimetres below what it is right now, still high enough to cause havoc along the waterfront.

This year broke all the models, says Reimer. It was Mother Nature at work. Because of that, he’s not worried about a possible upcoming review.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... -to-review
The review should be completed by spring.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

before or after flooding [icon_lol2.gif]
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

If it's by spring, that would be March 20th.
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

I did snowpac reading for 37years plus stream flows the auto snow pillows should have given them a idea what was going on, I was actually considering to stop manual snow course reading because it was no longer giving me anything that the snow pillows were giving , it gave me water volume with out having to do calculation, the failure to use technology, cost us 150million, if he had been out by 1ft ok but 5ft offer him a early retirement package.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly..................
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

steve mc wrote: if he....... offer him

Once again, I'll point out, it takes a whole team....

He and Him, get's crucified because the entire team fell a bit short, how many times ?????
Oh, once..Crucify him.......
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Flood Watch 2018”