Flood Review

Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Re: Flood Review

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:lake level is lowered slowly all summer and winter to account for snow melt in spring this time they felt they were smarter than mother nature and payed the price been the way since they started controlling lake level
And since the snow pack was lower than normal in April I'm guessing the lake wasn't lowered slowly this past year in accordance to previous years according to your post.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

LTD wrote:the level was higher on my buddies dock last spring than it usually is at the end of summer that's a screw up any way I look at it

I've got pictures that say some years the lake level is high and some years it's not at the same time of year.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

*removed*

Fancy wrote:And since the snow pack was lower than normal in April I'm guessing the lake wasn't lowered slowly this past year in accordance to previous years according to your post.

:up: Exactly and as much was stated back in the spring.

Had the lake been lowered, and the late snow and subsequent rains not materialized, the same guy would have been raked over the coals for allowing too much water out of the lake, and no doubt by the same people.
Last edited by ferri on Jan 2nd, 2018, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

*removed* I'm not sure if you actually get how overfull the lake really was
Last edited by ferri on Jan 2nd, 2018, 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

LTD wrote:*removed* I'm not sure if you actually get how overfull the lake really was

The 2017 lake level peaked on June 11th at 343.27m above sea level. Castanet claimed that the record is 343.28m (set in 1948), but the government documents say it's either 343.074m, 343.13m, or 343.25m depending on which document you read: https://questioningthedata.wordpress.co ... ews-media/

So it's not entirely clear if the old record was beat or not.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
PDT
Fledgling

Post by PDT »

I can google too...

Here's a Ministry of Environment, Lands, and Parks document from 2000:
http://www.obwb.ca/obwrid/docs/023_2000 ... n_Lake.pdf
In 1948, prior to implementation of the Joint Board's recommendations, a major flood hit the Okanagan Valley. This time Okanagan Lake reached a maximum level of 1126.25 feet (343.28 metres). Again, widespread damage occurred throughout the valley prompting calls for action on the Board's recommendations.

So, it's not just Castanet who is "claiming" this "record". We get that you have some sort of hate-on for media, but still...
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

Someone suggested recently when we spoke of this that due to the excessive wet spring the ground was saturated. Due to this the melt did not get held back it all ran.

If this is true, it could have been difficult to predict what the outcome would be.

Sorry...I did not read the previous 5 pages.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Ken7 wrote:Sorry...I did not read the previous 5 pages.

Just like the majority of threads, you missed little and come out
with, in my mind very close to the correct conclusion !
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Ken7 wrote:Someone suggested recently when we spoke of this that due to the excessive wet spring the ground was saturated. Due to this the melt did not get held back it all ran.

If this is true, it could have been difficult to predict what the outcome would be.

Sorry...I did not read the previous 5 pages.

It's known about the saturated ground but that fact hasn't changed anyone's minds who think water should have been released faster.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

You can't just open flood gates to release water. There are treaty's and rules on how fast (min and max) you can release as it affects dams, rivers, communities, etc. down from the dam. Yes, this caused damage to Kelowna properties but releasing water faster might have created more issues.

An alternative is to increase the space between the lake and homes (or increase their insurance for flooding) and increase wetlands which can handle more water during extreme weather events.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

PDT wrote:I can google too...

Here's a Ministry of Environment, Lands, and Parks document from 2000:
In 1948, prior to implementation of the Joint Board's recommendations, a major flood hit the Okanagan Valley. This time Okanagan Lake reached a maximum level of 1126.25 feet (343.28 metres). Again, widespread damage occurred throughout the valley prompting calls for action on the Board's recommendations.

So, it's not just Castanet who is "claiming" this "record". We get that you have some sort of hate-on for media, but still...
Ministry of Environment, Lands, and Parks document from 2000:

Just because there was a maximum in 1948 does not mean it was the all time maximum,
If you read the fine print 1904 had a maximum water level that was 17" higher (0.44m)
The highest recorded natural lake level was determined to be 107.0 feet (343.72 metres) in
1904, although there were reports of higher levels in both 1894 and 1896.
B Symonds (09/05/2000) Page 1
River Improvements for Navigation:
Prior to 1909 there had been no alterations made to either Okanagan River
Waste not
TMBOkanagan
Fledgling

Post by TMBOkanagan »

AlienSoldier wrote:You can't just open flood gates to release water. There are treaty's and rules on how fast (min and max) you can release as it affects dams, rivers, communities, etc. down from the dam. Yes, this caused damage to Kelowna properties but releasing water faster might have created more issues.

An alternative is to increase the space between the lake and homes (or increase their insurance for flooding) and increase wetlands which can handle more water during extreme weather events.

And reduce site coverage of impermeable surfaces, restrict basements in the floodplain, build storm water retention ponds...
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

there was no downstream problems we didnot open floodgate soon enough, I checked all the dams all the way to mouth of columbia river there were not restricting any release of water. some of the upper snowpac can be diverted to the nicol river and fraser river.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

steve mc wrote:there was no downstream problems we didnot open floodgate soon enough, I checked all the dams all the way to mouth of columbia river there were not restricting any release of water. some of the upper snowpac can be diverted to the nicol river and fraser river.

"Did not open floodgate soon enough", in hindsight which is always 20/20.

Had the person in charge known all the factors about to happen ahead of time, no doubt he would have opened the gates to increase outflow sooner.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

why didn;t they know thats the job,

Return to “Flood Watch 2018”