Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Yes
46%
So-so
27%
No
28%

Total votes: 147

Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Re: Do you feel happy living in the Okanagan?

Post by Lady tehMa »

It sounds like some people are really unhappy to be here. That's sad.

I've lived in a few places, this is the largest - I don't think I could go larger. I'm happy here. I hope those that aren't, do find happiness somewhere.
I haven't failed until I quit.
sublime
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by sublime »

lightspeed wrote:It is possible to live in a place and be mostly happy yet still be able to articulate a valid critique of it. I find I have most of those sensible discussions offline. Here, less so.

Too much emotional trigger and wife beater clad people bawling "go back where you came from" or "move to xyz then" complete with flaming torch.

People move here and feel forced to validate their choice by a comprehensive defence of the place, else they look like fools. Despite the fact that they used to be able to afford a place and used to have good jobs.

Locals mostly haven't lived anywhere else, so have no perspective. Easily triggered.

The well travelled are usually pretty fair and objective. It's just another place with positives and negatives.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

In summary everyone has their right to their own opinion. Opinions change as so does the city develop and grow. It isn't the best place in the world and it definitely isn't the worst which are all subjective. There are a lot of cities around the world that offer the same attractions (city size, lifestyle, wilderness, etc.) and many that don't.

Like Lightspeed said people who haven't travel don't know, however it is the trend here on the forums for people that haven't actually experienced a topic to have a strong biased opinion and lash out. Its really just a microcosm of whats going on in North America lately, two biased sides and no common ground or discussion. Simply I am right and you are wrong followed by lashing out.
The ignore list is a fine function... Reading or responding to fear mafia posts is a waste of time.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

sublime wrote: ... it is the trend here on the forums for people that haven't actually experienced a topic to have a strong biased opinion and lash out. Its really just a microcosm of whats going on in North America lately, two biased sides and no common ground or discussion. Simply I am right and you are wrong followed by lashing out.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who has made this observation. It is kind of funny how sometimes people with the least knowledge of an issue also have the strongest opinions on it (First Nations, addiction, unions, etc., etc., etc.). I'm not going to suggest this is a Kelowna thing, but only on Castanet, for example, would you find more people voting to have Trump as our Prime Minister. There are definitely lots of options for enjoyable living (natural surroundings, climate, cost of living, etc.) in this province outside the Okanagan Valley, but this forum does at least host a very interesting microcosm of right "thinkers".
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I remember first year we moved here, Fall. Everyone kept saying it hardly snows, and when it does melts right away. Was like damn we paid to move our shovels.
Ha, few months later could hardly get the steep driveway shovelled without slipping and sliding, was cold and ppl were out shovelling bare hands and shorts with boots.
Nearly every City and town in Canada has both good and not so good ( read crummy) things about it.
Except Toronto which is perfect :/
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

I remember the first year we left Kelowna and moved north. Looking for a house and everyone told us we wouldn't need air conditioning. Man, that was a screaming hot summer with temperatures just as hot as those in Kelowna.

I recently spent almost 14 years living in a small town up north, about an hour and a half inland. Ironically, we would get less snow overall than Kelowna. We would get the odd dump that was serious business but when it got mild it would rain and wash all the snow away. Mind you, we did get the odd “arctic outflow” and they were always lots of fun. Summer is summer, and although it would get hotter in Kelowna, 20 to 25 degrees up there was plenty warm with the difference in humidity (perfect, in fact). Otherwise the climate was much the same as Vancouver with the rain, and surrounded by mountains, rivers and lakes. Take a drive to Rupert and you would be treated to witnessing bears, sea lions and eagles, not to mention a tour of the mighty Skeena River (a tidal river that goes up and down with the tide).

Food was a bit more expensive and I wouldn’t buy a car up there, but housing was very affordable, as was my golf membership (best course west of George and one year home of the BC Seniors Open). Thankfully my debenture for the golf course is still good as my employer has a project they would like me to take on that would require moving back. I would probably have no issue with that. Five minute drive to work. Fifteen to the golf course. Saanich is crazy.
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Thanks everyone for voting in the poll. Here's the results from 2017 (top) and 2016 (bottom) for comparison.
Attachments
Poll results 2017 .png
Poll results 2016 .png
Woodenhead
Guru

Post by Woodenhead »

lightspeed wrote:It is possible to live in a place and be mostly happy yet still be able to articulate a valid critique of it. I find I have most of those sensible discussions offline. Here, less so.

• sensible discussion
  • Castanet forums

It's only possible to pick one of the above.

[edit]

Also shoulda been another option: "I'm happy everywhere" - that's what I woulda picked. Instead I had to pick "yes" but that's misleading; makes it seem like I think this place has no annoying issues etc. I doubt I'm alone.
Your bias suits you.
Mtn Biker
Übergod

Post by Mtn Biker »

jsytnick wrote:
I do fit in, mostly because I love living here, make the most out of each day, and appreciate life in general. What I don't like are people that move here and then complain that it's not as good as(insert wherever the hell you whiners come from). Good luck on the move, I'm sure there's a list of people that will be happy to see you go.

I too loved living there when I first arrived. What I said was, it is not the same and unless you spent 30 years there to see and understand the difference between now and then, you know nothing of which I speak. As for the last comment, it seems one is just as smug and demeaning as those we chose to move away from and it simply supports make my point. Kelowna sucks big time.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Kelowna puts on many events and hosts many others. I see nothing but stuff to do, weekend to weekend, one could go nuts trying to keep up.

Jysnick, we don't always agree, but put me on the list.
:130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
plast63
Fledgling

Post by plast63 »

I am so happy living in Okanagan.This is dream of my life!!!! :smt045
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

In agreement with good ol' Woodenhead, could only pick one.

Due to circumstance and nothing to do with living here, I had to pick "No"

It would matter not where I lay my head, and there are better days than others,
but.

Due to ouside forces that took a large part of my mobility away, which
also stripped me of my pass-time passions and countless other endevours.

Robbed a pile of happiness away, now, the rebuild to find it again.

I have lots to be thankful for.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Lady tehMa
A Peer of the Realm

Post by Lady tehMa »

dirtybiker wrote:In agreement with good ol' Woodenhead, could only pick one.

Due to circumstance and nothing to do with living here, I had to pick "No"

It would matter not where I lay my head, and there are better days than others,
but.

Due to ouside forces that took a large part of my mobility away, which
also stripped me of my pass-time passions and countless other endevours.

Robbed a pile of happiness away, now, the rebuild to find it again.

I have lots to be thankful for.

db - that was poetic. Sad that things aren't great but happy that you have such a positive outlook
I haven't failed until I quit.

Return to “Central Okanagan”