Lot splitting

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Jflem1983
Guru

Lot splitting

Post by Jflem1983 »

See a lot of this lately. Not really a fan of densification. Whats everyone think. Should they outlaw lot splitting like some Edmonton neighborhoods do.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Re: Lot splitting

Post by TreeGuy »

Not sure why people would want to live on a tiny lot with homes so close together. Look at Kettle Valley, they have squeezed a lot of homes into that area. Which is fine but the roads that Lead in and out of the area now need to be upgraded to handle the traffic.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Kelownas City Council is money hungry. And not everyone wants yard work. The perfect collision of more property taxes and less time maintaining yards.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

In Edmonton the neighborhoods that outlawed it had to fight council. They stood tall, said enuff. Got together had a meeting and a vote.

Im not sure if it will happen here as Kelowna does not seem to have the sense of community Edmonton does. Lots of people seem to not even know the neighbors here .
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

It is starting in our neighbourhood a shame really beautiful old trees and homes being demo, many of the older people here are upset and saying they are going to move.
Not only will they be too packed in but the roads can't handle the extra traffic. A group of neighbours tried to stop 4 places from going in where there was once one, they finally tired of fighting the developers and City Hall. 4 houses, plan is one shared driveway. That ought to work out well.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

How hard is it to understand that we live in an area that is desirable for other people to move into? There is constant complaining on these boards that developers all “Own“ the city, but developers only build when there is demand for the housing they are building. We are building up the note and sides, leading to complaints of traffic and disruption of natural hillsides. As people continue to move here, the only other way to fit them in [aside from developing previously untouched land], It’s to densify existing neighborhoods, including subdivide existing lots.

Not seeing this doesn’t lead to its own issues, such as parking in traffic, but unless we somehow close the doors to anyone else moving into town, this is an efficient way to create housing for people.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

TreeGuy wrote:Not sure why people would want to live on a tiny lot with homes so close together. Look at Kettle Valley, they have squeezed a lot of homes into that area. Which is fine but the roads that Lead in and out of the area now need to be upgraded to handle the traffic.

Because people are different now. And I know In Edmonton where this is happening, it’s because the location is very very desirable. Not for me, but that being said I have looked into doing it....purely for investment purpose.
WeatherWoman
Wicked Witch of the West Coast

Post by WeatherWoman »

Our hood has pretty big lots and instead of splitting them we are seeing Mcmansions popping up.
"It takes a village to raise a fool." ~ Dan Mangan
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Jflem1983 wrote:See a lot of this lately. Not really a fan of densification. Whats everyone think. Should they outlaw lot splitting like some Edmonton neighborhoods do.

This more likely what will happen to city lots:
https://apps.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/P ... 0Zones.pdf
Not everyone wants a large urban lot due to the excessive amount of time needed to maintain the landscaping.
Infill makes sense rather than large suburban lots outside the city centre.
Waste not
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

normaM wrote: A group of neighbours tried to stop 4 places from going in where there was once one, they finally tired of fighting the developers and City Hall.

YUp, 3 going in where there was one, perfectly good, highly maintained, cared for, upgraded with a beautiful
landscaped yard and horseshoe driveway. Great character.
Demolished and hauled to the dump, I sure hope at least some recycling took place.
Land completely stripped, now 3 places with hardly a few feet betwixt them.
Just 3 matching boxes, they look like crud and stick out like sore thumbs,. Ugly

And the more that give in and sell to move the more it will happen.

I do not see it as progress.

I bet if the previous owners drove by their lovely home of 35 odd years of memories,
their hearts would snap.

The people that rubber stamp this stuff and say it must be would never live in one themselves.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

People aren't flooding in to Kelowna so I would say sometimes developers build on spec not demand. Are people demanding 3 storied homes with narrow staircases on small lots? Yea, they had ruined Glenora in Edmonton.. so much for the YConventant. And some of those buildings are less than half finished years later. Like here in Glenmore and the Conservatory.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

We built in Kettle Valley specifically because we wanted to have a decently sized home with very little yard to maintain. I have no problem with lot splitting either. The roads generally can handle the traffic without issue, outside of 30 minutes every morning by the school zones when parents are dropping off their kids... but that's an entirely other discussion as to why I think that's happening (lazy kids and parents that don't make them walk/bike/bus to school).
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

I'll add that although I don't have a problem with lot splitting, there are a few neighborhoods that it would be a shame to see all split up. Some neighborhoods wouldn't suffer all that much with a few lots being split, but some would lose a lot of their charm and appeal if it happened.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

Densification helps to reduce tax increases when it comes to maintenance of sewer, hydro and streets. Where one house had to worry and carry the burden, now 3 can. Also, its supply and demand. As Kelowna grows so will issues with densification, traffic, crime, etc.

Kelowna is not a small town anymore, its a city. People need to adjust their expectations. Also, if you want to complain about traffic, it isn't todays council that decided on the size of roads and what the City would look like, it was previous councils.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

AlienSoldier wrote:Densification helps to reduce tax increases when it comes to maintenance of sewer, hydro and streets. Where one house had to worry and carry the burden, now 3 can. Also, its supply and demand. As Kelowna grows so will issues with densification, traffic, crime, etc.

Kelowna is not a small town anymore, its a city. People need to adjust their expectations. Also, if you want to complain about traffic, it isn't todays council that decided on the size of roads and what the City would look like, it was previous councils.

Meh. I give it 5 maybe ten years. Be totally unliveable. Cant wait to pull the golden parachute and get out.

Return to “Social Concerns”