Drip_Torch
Guru

Re: Surprise, surprise, Film Industry Didn't Get Duped

Post by Drip_Torch »

dirtybiker wrote:Got it !

I was just trying to divert the topic to something a little more interesting
than an empty building for sale.

As did the castanet reporter.

Hey, what do call a production manager that attempts to get a job with their own resume?

A barista.

:smt045
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
Chyren
Board Meister

Post by Chyren »

Wow the thread started out negative and pretty much continued that way....

How do you take this as a negative? Someone attempted to get an industry rolling in our area bringing jobs and shining a light on our area. Yeah, if you think that's a bad thing you really need to go outside more and enjoy the beauty that surrounds us and realized how blessed we all are to live here.

So it didn't pan out. At least it was tried.

Never saw this much rage about a closing business since Carls Jr closed.....
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

How do you take this as a negative? Someone attempted to get an industry rolling in our area bringing jobs and shining a light on our area. Yeah, if you think that's a bad thing you really need to go outside more and enjoy the beauty that surrounds us and realized how blessed we all are to live here.

WOW back at you.

You're the one that's seeing negative and I'm the one pointing out a building for sale doesn't really mean anything at all. Where does it say this venture failed? Where did I say this venture failed? You seem to be reading more negativity into it than I can imagine. Perhaps you know more? The article doesn't seem to offer more.

A studio is for sale - big whoop, sorry if I'm not willing to send along my condolences or buy flowers. I've just seen it a few times before. You're the one writing the obituary.
Drip Torch - an upright and steadfast keeper of the flame, but when tilted sideways the contents spill and then our destiny is in the wind...
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^^Huh, I saw it the same way^^^^^,,Go figure..
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

Film economics 101...

Buy a building for X, put Y into it and sell it for Z. If you've got enough money left over in the end to buy a waterfront house and property with a pool in Florida. When it's all said and done... You're a BC film industry success story. Just like a few others before you.
Last edited by Drip_Torch on Jan 6th, 2018, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drip_Torch
Guru

Post by Drip_Torch »

If I’m negative towards anything, it’s the dumbed down BC Business outlook on the film industry, that really took flight under the Gordon C years.

It’s not Okanagan Film Studio is closing down and now the cast and crew of the Big Bang Theory is going home and there won’t be a Season 12. It’s a big empty building is for sale. So what? It’s a rental, - don’t get sentimental.

If you need some studio space in the Okanagan just look where everyone else does, Colliers, and you’ll see there’s plenty of film studio space available here. Trust me, it’s not studio space holding back the industry in the Okanagan. I can go to work in Vancouver on Monday, but you won’t find my number on the OK film commission’s list. There’s a reason for that.

When I first tripped onto a film set, The Dominion Bridge was still slinging around big pieces of iron, Booksbank was a collection of war homes ready to be bombed, and Mammoth was a distribution point for washing machines and televisions. Despite what the real estate agents and land developers will tell you, there isn’t a building in this province that has contributed anything more than a temporary roof over the heads of those working in the industry. Insider secret time – we’ll tell you “you’re the best” because we need the best out of you.

Glacier mentioned “Blackway”, now there’s something. You want to hitch some hopes for the Okanagan industry to something – there it is. Enderby and Dugdale. I know that’s what I’m watching. Lots of respect for the pathfinders, people that create the cookie-cutters and patterns that can be duplicated. Mr. Dugdale is the local industry anomaly that I hope succeeds, because he really is taking a different and much more creative approach. There’s a few others…

I’ll be honest with you. I’ve applied for four jobs in my life and haven’t done up a resume in over 30 something years. I’ve had two “jobs” the last one ended sometime in 1987. Despite the fact that I’ve owned a business – I don’t claim to know anything about business. Cash coming in has to be more than cash going out and every day there are risks and opportunities – that’s about all I know.

We’ve been sneaking big projects in and out of this province for decades. Marketing to world class marketers – not really what it’s about. (IMHO) I’d hate to have to pull on clichés, or evoke stereotypes, but think for a moment about who really controls the vast majority of the entertainment budgets that go into film production. Seriously, if there was an economic driver to send productions to Vernon, they’d know about it before we woke up on Monday morning. Thankfully, the industry isn’t really driven by those economic drivers, quite the way the bc business, shiny shoe crew, would have you believe.

If someone wanted to be a manager in film, my advice… Before spending money on film school, or attending a wine and cheese workshop, go to the local park with the homeless encampment and spent 16 hours a day there for at least a month. If you can handle the environment, quell all the conflicts, have people smiling - and make something amazing happen – you’ve got what it takes and you’ll survive the slightly cleaner incarnation that you’ll be working in. Your phone will ring from 310, or maybe even 212.

A 100,000 stories you can’t tell later and maybe you’ll see the industry like I do. Trust me, I’m not negative towards the industry. I just see it for what it is, a creative industry that relies on people; fiercely loyal, discrete, creative, hardworking problem solvers, willing to learn some technical skills, - and not buildings, to make it happen.

To recall a moment slightly before sunrise, in that glorious film production location commonly called Ashcroft, BC. The secret, as it was told, is to find the best and coax the best out of them, day after day, until you get it done. The director then had the sound guy crank up kings of leon to drive the point home…

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Nice analogy.
Poetic even.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “North Okanagan”