Will Kelowna need a second downtown?

Frisk
Guru

Will Kelowna need a second downtown?

Post by Frisk »

As Kelowna grows do you think the city will eventually need a second downtown? It seems inevitable that Kelowna will get another hospital, more apartments, office buildings, stores, hotels, larger roadways, more parking etc in the future. Can the current downtown grow with the city or should a second downtown be built, like near the airport, for example? I know it's kinda a random question but it's 3:30am and I was just pondering the idea. I'm interested in hearing the responses.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Will Kelowna need a second downtown?

Post by Dizzy1 »

Don’t you pretty much have one? Pandosy?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

Don't really care I don't go to the existing "downtown" for a variety of reasons
monilynno
Board Meister

Post by monilynno »

Rutland town center, South Pandosy How many town centers does Kelowna need?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

kelowna has a downtown :135:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

the truth wrote:kelowna has a downtown :135:

Yah .. They call it "The Mall" ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

:laugh: good one
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Post by AlienSoldier »

You don’t need a second downtown. It splits the cities economy, Center of concentration apart. Just look at Thunder Bay which had two and then tried to consolidate the downtowns with no luck.

If anything focus should be put on easing access to Kelowna’s current downtown.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

Not possible by definition of the word.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

could have an Uptown. Put up looks of leaning light posts, build a Visitor Centre and a safe injection site.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Frisk wrote:As Kelowna grows do you think the city will eventually need a second downtown? It seems inevitable that Kelowna will get another hospital, more apartments, office buildings, stores, hotels, larger roadways, more parking etc in the future. Can the current downtown grow with the city or should a second downtown be built, like near the airport, for example? I know it's kinda a random question but it's 3:30am and I was just pondering the idea. I'm interested in hearing the responses.

I believe the current downtown will remain. but will continue to expand north, and towards the sky. eventually the mill will also be gone. The only problem with growth though is roadways, and unfortunately there's no room to really fix this problem, so more businesses will opt to be on the outskirts towards the the airport. rumor has it costco may be moving that way.
Its been pretty interesting to see the rapid change in the last 10 or 15 years, cant wait to see the next 10 or 15
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Frisk wrote:As Kelowna grows do you think the city will eventually need a second downtown? It seems inevitable that Kelowna will get another hospital, more apartments, office buildings, stores, hotels, larger roadways, more parking etc in the future. Can the current downtown grow with the city or should a second downtown be built, like near the airport, for example? I know it's kinda a random question but it's 3:30am and I was just pondering the idea. I'm interested in hearing the responses.

I have curious question Frisk.
Name a city with 2 downtowns.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

I think if this topic kept you from sleeping, you could use some help.

As for Downtown that is a old saying, in Sask we used to call it that. Some people look oddly at you if you say that's your destination. Didn't Basran make it a special destination, you should have called him when you couldn't sleep.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

The limited area available around the lakefront downtown area means that it can never be the city centre that Kelowna should have. Also limited access from the lake side totally cuts off the growth potential. Add to that the topographical behemoth of Knox Mountain in the north and you have another barrier. Hwy 97 and the bridge further constrains growth in that direction.

The second downtown around Orchard Park has been long underway. This area runs from Spall to Leathhead. There is more area to work with and access is also much better. There are fewer barriers and many different routes in all directions except to the south where the ALR limits southward expansion. Benvoulin Road is basically the only route south from Orchard Park and it has become a real bottleneck. Still, the constraints of Dilworth Mountain and the Mission Creek Escarpment severely limit growth in this area. It is barely 1 kilometre from Dilworth Mountain to Mission Creek.

The third city centre is now evolving. It's anchors are the University and the airport. The centre of this great new metropolis is Sexsmith Rd and Old Vernon Road axis with Hwy 97. The build out of the University South lands has been phenomenal.
John Hindle Drive will provide a much need access into the area from the north. Sexsmith Road is scheduled to be 4 laned up to Longhill. The industrial area surrounding this area provides jobs and is a magnet for other businesses.
There is plenty of greenfield land to support new business. There are few long term residents to squawk about development.
There are many different routes feeding this area and more in the planning stages. The conversion of Pier Mac gravel pit from
Industrial to commercial has been a boon to this area.
Waste not
60-YEARS-in-Ktown
Guru

Post by 60-YEARS-in-Ktown »

The new centre of the Universe will be on the Queensway Jetty.
Mi know this because Tourism Kelowna, and City Council (minus Hodge), and the Mayor decided it.
And they told us most of the citizens supported it.
So this will be the new Downtown..
I'd like to help You OUT,
Which way did You come in??

Return to “Central Okanagan”