Predatory Marriages

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Predatory Marriages

Post by oneh2obabe »

Common sense from the judge - gold diggers won't find it so easy now to dupe elderly people.

He suffered a horrific head injury and spent months in hospital. Then his former girlfriend whisked him off in secret and married him, giving her legal rights to his wealth. Not so fast, judge rules.

Six years after the Muskoka man’s Blue Mountain marriage, an Ontario Superior Court justice has declared it void — a decision lawyers say will give fragile or elderly people increased protections from predatory marriage.

“This case is an example of predatory marriage where a vulnerable person is taken advantage of by an opportunist,” says Andrea McEwan, of Toronto’s Whaley Estate Litigation Partners, who was hired by Hunt’s family.

“Older people are often targeted, which makes this type of marriage an increasing problem in our society because of our aging population.”

In his written decision filed last month, Justice Koke rejected “in its entirety” testimony from Hunt’s former girlfriend, Worrod, and her relatives. Worrod had testified that Hunt was a healthy and willing groom, although her uncle had to be dispatched to bring him to the wedding.

In his decision, Koke relied on a recent British Columbia judgment (another predatory marriage case) that concluded an individual must be able to control their personal care — and property — to have the “capacity” to marry. Previous case law only required an individual have control over their personal care.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/201 ... rules.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Predatory Marriages

Post by Catsumi »

^^^^^^

Maybe this story will inspire BMan to give the old guy back to his folks ? :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I have to revise the list of Castanet guys I want to marry :-X
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

It would work better if you buy your prospect an ATV, after you’re married, but not before ;-)
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

I thought this was going to be about 40 year old guys marrying 20 year old girls.
Waste not
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

The trick is to not take the brain injured ones, just the really old ones.
And be able to prove dependency and a minimum standard of a lavish lifestyle- you may have to defend your position later against adult children.

You'll need to be physically close to get used to the old peep aroma. <<shudder>>

But it can be a huge return for your time.
Sure beats working.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

It's also wise before you decide to choose an old peep as your retirement fund to spend some time at the food court at the mall.
You'll need to get used to the visual of the way old people eat.
It's a bit unnerving the first time you see it.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

It's a great story/ruling. My only concern is the timeline. Took years for the court system to work it out. Imagine the stress on the sons during those years. 1 son literally sleeping in the same bed as the father to take care of him while this "women" is nowhere to be found and technically in possession of the fathers assets while able to make medical decisions on his behalf.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Now all those old guys hoping to get hitched to a woman to look after them forever, will be SOL,
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Now all those old guys hoping to get hitched to a woman to look after them forever, will be SOL,

No. They just need to get hitched while they're still of sound mind.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

It's often more lucrative to marry them and dump em in a year.
You only get half, but you get it more often.

And ya don't have the litigation with 40 year old kids.
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

Sounds as though the trick to saving your estate is to have yourself declared mentally unfit prior to marriage. Fortunately for many of us guys, that wouldn't be much of a stretch.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Grandan wrote:I thought this was going to be about 40 year old guys marrying 20 year old girls.

I thought it'd be more on Bountiful, BC and the child sex slave ring they perpetuate using the Canadian Constitution as their shield and God as their sword.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Out of deep respect for the poster, I actually went back and re-read. I now have changed my mind.

The bride, ever thoughtful, imposed upon her OWN uncle to lasso and bring forth to the sacred altar, her groom to be.

Care and consideration for the elderly is so hard to find, but yet, here it is.

The blushing bride should keep her lifelong mate for however long it takes to "death do us part."

:biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

What is needed is that a proof of competency be provided by each party wishing to marry.
Suppose some elderly persons legitimately feared their children were the predators and wanted to ensure they at least had a trusted spouse to care for and protect them as they became more mentally and physically fragile? From what I've heard (and unfortunately observed in some families), the adult children may try to shut out other caring adults to be sure they get first dibs on the estate. Who is going to look after the elderly person's interests?

Return to “Social Concerns”