Vikings on Baffin Island

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Vikings on Baffin Island

Post by averagejoe »

Were Vikings on Baffin Island? Great article from National Geographic News!

Evidence of Viking Outpost Found in Canada

Sharpeners may be smoking guns in quest for New World's second Viking site.

Archaeologist Patricia Sutherland (orange jacket) excavates a potential Viking site on Baffin Island.

For the past 50 years—since the discovery of a thousand-year-old Viking way station in Newfoundland—archaeologists and amateur historians have combed North America's east coast searching for traces of Viking visitors.

It has been a long, fruitless quest, littered with bizarre claims and embarrassing failures. But at a conference in Canada earlier this month, archaeologist Patricia Sutherland announced new evidence that points strongly to the discovery of the second Viking outpost ever discovered in the Americas.

While digging in the ruins of a centuries-old building on Baffin Island (map), far above the Arctic Circle, a team led by Sutherland, adjunct professor of archaeology at Memorial University in Newfoundland and a research fellow at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland, found some very intriguing whetstones. Wear grooves in the blade-sharpening tools bear traces of copper alloys such as bronze—materials known to have been made by Viking metalsmiths but unknown among the Arctic's native inhabitants.

Read more...
https://news.nationalgeographic.com/new ... utherland/

Auyuittuq National Park, Baffin Island....

Norse legends on Baffin Island

Mount Thor

Mount Odin

Mount Asgard
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Vikings on Baffin Island

Post by Queen K »

Fascinating stuff, thanks for finding this Averagejoe! :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Nice post, AvgJoe. T'was my ancestors out there, roaming and boating, sharpening their shivs! :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Catsumi, Baffin Island should be our next vaca destination, to look up relatives... :130:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

I bet Viking chix were hot!
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

j watson, you watch The Vikings on the History Channel yet?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vikings_(TV_series)
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Queen K, I have not seen it I'm afraid but I do dare to dream. I did google pics of those Viking chix though and it would appear I was right. Are you a Viking descendent?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Unlike Catsumi who is sure, I only "may be" given their invasions into Russia and the British Isles alike. I am part Scottish and part Russian, so when I went to Iceland and felt the connection, I'd like to think I could be part Viking. :130:
averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

Map location of Mounts Thor, Odin and Asgard...on Baffin Island

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

Post by averagejoe »

LOL I wonder if Mount Asgard is home to the Viking Gods? :D

Asgard was the home of the Norse gods...

Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

j watson wrote:I bet Viking chix were hot!

Still are ! :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Carrs Landing Viking
Übergod

Post by Carrs Landing Viking »

I am 100% Viking. My family tree goes back to the Viking kings, and then to several Danish Kings.

And yes Viking chix are hot. :D
Farmmaa
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Farmmaa »

j watson wrote:Queen K, I have not seen it I'm afraid but I do dare to dream. I did google pics of those Viking chix though and it would appear I was right. Are you a Viking descendent?

Best show ever.
Seriously.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

We got hooked watching it on Globaltv and then it was moved to the History Channel, in a pathetic attempt to lure me into subscribing to cable.

Nope, I'll just buy the DVDs, extended version boxed set, with explanations and extra footage when it all comes out. Thanks.

But yes, awesome. It's hard to judge which is more so, Game of Thrones (more nudity hands down) or The Vikings.

Return to “World”