How to replace all plumbing in House?

Business and professional recommendations.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

How to replace all plumbing in House?

Post by Bsuds »

We had another minor water leak on the weekend and it got the Wife and I talking.
Our house is 30 years old and has plastic piping that is prone to failure.
We are thinking maybe we should have it ALL replaced before we have a major failure.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how/who to have that done as I'm sure we will need more than just a plumber.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Re: How to replace all plumbing in House?

Post by alanjh595 »

Switch to PEX or even better OXY PEX. Cut 1 line, tape it to the end of the new pipe and PULL! Use the old line as "fish tape" to run the new line.

Now, 1 story or two?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:Now, 1 story or two?

4 level split which makes it more difficult. 2 1/2 Baths with the main bath and en-suite on the top floor.
Basement under the Kitchen area is finished.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Bsuds wrote:We had another minor water leak on the weekend and it got the Wife and I talking.
We are thinking maybe we should have it ALL replaced before we have a major failure.

So I'm looking for suggestions on how/who to have that done as I'm sure we will need more than just a plumber.

Wise.

To have your insurance be valid, start getting quotes from certified plumbing agencies and decide who is getting the very expensive job.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:We had another minor water leak on the weekend and it got the Wife and I talking.

There has been some innovation in plumbing in last 30 years, that you may want to look into.
i.e tankless hot water system
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:There has been some innovation in plumbing in last 30 years, that you may want to look into.

We have a high efficiency tank that is only a couple of years old and looked into those before buying.
At the time they were too expensive and their life expectancy was poor. Not cost effective.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:There has been some innovation in plumbing in last 30 years, that you may want to look into.

Bsuds wrote:We have a high efficiency tank that is only a couple of years old and looked into those before buying.
At the time they were too expensive and their life expectancy was poor. Not cost effective.

Okay, there are other innovations to look at as well.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I have no referral, just curious. and interested.

It sounds to me like a very daunting task.

In todays weird world maybe making it into a TV Show would off-set the cost.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

dirtybiker wrote:In todays weird world maybe making it into a TV Show would off-set the cost.

Maybe we could get Mike Holmes to look at it! :smt045
kelownman
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by kelownman »

Love it or List it - Vancouver is looking for projects in the kelowna area.....or they were... do a kitchen/bathroom (s) makeover and have the plumbing done at the same time! [icon_lol2.gif]
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Bsuds wrote:
dirtybiker wrote:In todays weird world maybe making it into a TV Show would off-set the cost.

Maybe we could get Mike Holmes to look at it! :smt045

You are way too old to become a member of the snowflake generation and be looking for something for nothing. You would have better luck getting a discount from a local plumber wanting to break into the youtube market. Good luck!.
Maybe sell it and let the next guy worry about it?
Bring back the LIKE button.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

Queen K wrote:

Wise.

To have your insurance be valid, start getting quotes from certified plumbing agencies and decide who is getting the very expensive job.

Suds can do it himself and his insurance would still be valid.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

alanjh595 wrote:Switch to PEX or even better OXY PEX. Cut 1 line, tape it to the end of the new pipe and PULL! Use the old line as "fish tape" to run the new line.

Now, 1 story or two?

Not going to be that easy. Code requires plumbing to be secured to the structure at specific intervals. This maintains integrity of the lines and prevents noise due to vibration and pulsing.
Someone has to say it.
generalposter
Board Meister

Post by generalposter »

The complexity of this job is dependant on the layout of all the plumbing fixtures. Many homes are built with bathrooms and kitchens stacked on top of each other or adjacent. This reduces materials required and also helps keep any 'wet' wall as an interior wall. If you house is similar the task may not be so daunting.

A devise has just come available that works in conjunction with an I-Phone; a type of app. About $100 at builders supply stores. It enables you to pinpoint the exact location of plumbing, wiring, structure, dead bodies and hidden loot within the walls. I have been told it works amazingly well.

I would start there. Locate all the water lines, mark them with painters tape and then assess the situation. You may have to combine this job with fresh paint after you have replaced the drywall as needed. A good dry wall tech can patch it in really well enabling you to cut and remove quite selectively.

Like any job this overwhelming, you need to do a full assessment of what you're up against and decide how to act. I think you are wise to be pro-active as water damage is insidious. You may even have things leaking that you aren't aware of yet. Careful how you move forward as insurance frowns upon certain known to be faulty plastic lines. Good luck.
Someone has to say it.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Not going to be that easy. Code requires plumbing to be secured to the structure at specific intervals. This maintains integrity of the lines and prevents noise due to vibration and pulsing.

Yeah ...

I'm thinking there's gonna be some complete drywall re and re ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .

Return to “Referrals”