Central Green urban lie

mysideofthings
Board Meister

Re: Central Green urban lie

Post by mysideofthings »

I guess I'll scratch that off my list as a possibility. And here I thought FINALLY more housing would be available to someone like me. No. Too bad. That's great. I feel so hopeful.....
Guru

Post by 1669 »

mysideofthings wrote:I guess I'll scratch that off my list as a possibility. And here I thought FINALLY more housing would be available to someone like me. No. Too bad. That's great. I feel so hopeful.....

I think it's too early to say what will happen. But there is no way I can see Stober buying it too turn the entire site into low income. The city will likely make it a condition that a small number of units be so.

That is a highly visible site, and should be built to a high standard. Impossible to do without the majority of it renting for market rates.
Guru

Post by 1669 »

mysideofthings wrote:I guess I'll scratch that off my list as a possibility. And here I thought FINALLY more housing would be available to someone like me. No. Too bad. That's great. I feel so hopeful.....

Castanet article states BC Housing will have 86 units:"The City of Kelowna also sold Areas E and F to Davara Holding for $800,000 in 2013 to build a support centre for the Karis Support Society.

The project is currently under development and will include 30 units. Area H was provided to BC Housing and will be operated by the Ki-Lo-Na Friendship Society as an affordable housing development with 86 units. Area I will be developed as Rowcliffe Community Park.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

BUMP

Seems the Councillor are "disappointed" that they aren't getting what was originally billed for the old KSS site?

Are we surprised? Developers promise, present tarted up concept plans and then break those plans at will?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#215746

<snip> "A representative for the developer confirmed to council adding height to the final parcel fronting Bernard Avenue would be difficult due to geo-technical challenges on the site.

He said they are limited in height from a cost perspective.

The configuration of the building up for discussion has also changed. It was designed in an L-shape, meaning a proposed retail and commercial building at the corner of the highway and Richter was being scrapped.

While council agreed with the rationale of a pedestrian entrance to the site from that corner, opposed to the retail commercial site, it did decide to defer making a decision to give staff a chance to go over the plans and the site again with the developer.

"Do I think we will have a bad site? No, I don't think we will. I think it will be a nice site at the end of the day," said Coun. Gail Given.

"But, it isn't going to be what we thought we were getting.":"

MESSAGE To City Coucil: Grow a pair and MAKE THEM give the City what the City wanted. It's NOT just in their hands damn it.

Why are you acting like you take orders from developers and not the other way around? YOU dictate to these guys what the city wants. They dont' dictate to you.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Queen K wrote:BUMP

Seems the Councillor are "disappointed" that they aren't getting what was originally billed for the old KSS site?

Are we surprised? Developers promise, present tarted up concept plans and then break those plans at will?

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#215746

<snip> "A representative for the developer confirmed to council adding height to the final parcel fronting Bernard Avenue would be difficult due to geo-technical challenges on the site.

He said they are limited in height from a cost perspective.

The configuration of the building up for discussion has also changed. It was designed in an L-shape, meaning a proposed retail and commercial building at the corner of the highway and Richter was being scrapped.

While council agreed with the rationale of a pedestrian entrance to the site from that corner, opposed to the retail commercial site, it did decide to defer making a decision to give staff a chance to go over the plans and the site again with the developer.

"Do I think we will have a bad site? No, I don't think we will. I think it will be a nice site at the end of the day," said Coun. Gail Given.

"But, it isn't going to be what we thought we were getting.":"

MESSAGE To City Coucil: Grow a pair and MAKE THEM give the City what the City wanted. It's NOT just in their hands damn it.

Why are you acting like you take orders from developers and not the other way around? YOU dictate to these guys what the city wants. They dont' dictate to you.

City of Kelowna: weak, gutless, amoeba.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

The City of Kelowna has finalized a deal for more than $6 million with Al Stober Construction Limited to purchase the remaining five parcels at the Central Green site.

Development of the former KSS site is expected to start as early as 2015.

“The City and the community worked together from 2008 to 2011 to create a comprehensive plan for Central Green that would guide its development,” says Mayor Walter Gray.

“The properties have been for sale since 2012, but we now have the right market conditions and a local developer that came to the table with an offer that will see the community’s vision for the site unfold.”

Located minutes from downtown and across from Kelowna Central School, the site is bordered by Harvey Avenue, Richter Street and Rowcliffe Avenue.

It is made up of nine parcels and was once the home of Kelowna Senior Secondary School. As part of the community planning process, it was established that the site would be a LEED certified neighbourhood using fewer resources, including water and energy.

It was also decided that 15 per cent of the site would be dedicated to affordable housing.

The parcels set aside for housing wrap around a two-hectare parcel dedicated for Rowcliffe Community Park. The park is scheduled for construction in 2017.

Al Stober Construction purchased the parcels known in the comprehensive development zone (CD22) as Areas A, B, C, D and G.

The company will begin the development permitting process in the coming months with the intention of constructing rental housing. This purpose-built rental housing meets an identified need for affordable housing and will help to fulfil a shortage of rental homes in the city.

“We are very excited at the opportunity to deliver a top quality residential development for this great location adjacent to Kelowna’s downtown,” says Steve Kumpf, General Manager for Al Stober Construction Limited.

“Our pedestrian-oriented development plan for Central Green creates a vibrant and livable neighborhood that includes a large community park and is a quick walk to the beach or downtown’s dining, shopping and central business district.”

The City of Kelowna also sold Areas E and F to Davara Holding for $800,000 in 2013 to build a support centre for the Karis Support Society.

The project is currently under development and will include 30 units. Area H was provided to BC Housing and will be operated by the Ki-Lo-Na Friendship Society as an affordable housing development with 86 units. Area I will be developed as Rowcliffe Community Park.

Soooo, there it is.

Email your city Council right now and ask why Stober is getting away with changing the plans. Why is Kelowna's richest developer trying to weasel out of giving the shopping area on the site?

Oh and is Area 1 really a Rowcliffe Community Park as promised?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Is 15 percent of the site still dedicated to "affordable housing" and what does that affordable housing rent for?

I'm going to guess, "it's too expensive to be labelled "affordable" in today's market."
wanderer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by wanderer »

Is Stober the company that created the Landmark Towers and developed that area? Ok yup, figured that out.
Last edited by wanderer on Jan 9th, 2018, 9:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

^^ Except the City Council is reportedly "disappointed" with what they're getting instead of putting the boots to a well known super rich developer like Stober and telling HIM what to do with the Central Green area.

The City had to lower their expectations for the area several times before Stober would even pick up the rights to develop it according to all the news articles. and the city is still not getting what was seemingly promised?

Like what the :cuss: ??
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

erinmore3775 wrote:This is basically very good news for everyone. I am glad that Council stuck to their guns. This overall development should provide much needed rental and low income housing in the downtown core area. The inclusion of the park is also a great bonus.

Erinmore3775, do you still believe there is any component of low income housing materializing in the Central Green development?

What would quality as low income in today's market?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I'm puzzled about the "limited in height" comment.

There's a tower right across Hwy 97 that was built in the early 80's. What's it called? I forget right now.

But is the geo-technical area that different from a block away? Sounds like someone just doesn't want to put the money in to building taller or as tall as promised.

Is that where the "low income housing" was supposed to be?
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Obvious no one on council had a chance to drive by the site.
Otherwise they could have seen there are no towers being built . As for the park . Be lucky if there is parking . Never mind a park.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Queen K wrote:I'm puzzled about the "limited in height" comment.

There's a tower right across Hwy 97 that was built in the early 80's. What's it called? I forget right now.

But is the geo-technical area that different from a block away? Sounds like someone just doesn't want to put the money in to building taller or as tall as promised.

Is that where the "low income housing" was supposed to be?

The white one? I think that’s The Executive.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Yes, one block away built with 1980s technology and suddenly a block over the geology won't support a tower?

Can I buy the Bennett bridge with this slop?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Jflem1983 wrote:Obvious no one on council had a chance to drive by the site.
Otherwise they could have seen there are no towers being built . As for the park . Be lucky if there is parking . Never mind a park.

According to the release from Stober's company there is supposed to be a "large community park."

I'm going to take a look.

Return to “Central Okanagan”