Skewed priorities

twobits
Guru

Skewed priorities

Post by twobits »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/ ... rs-rise-up

While I am more than less impressed with Tim Horton's pricing mantra that does not allow local franchise markets to react to local conditions, and even less impressed that an heiress to the founder would gouge back gains made in wages, I did take note of this statement in the posted article.

Alan Harris decided to stop his near daily pre-work Tim Hortons stop for an extra-large coffee and old-fashioned plain doughnut in Windsor, Ont. in a gesture of solidarity.
Harris works in retail and saw his pay increase to the new minimum wage this year.
"I can deeply understand what it means to live paycheque to paycheque,"

In line with the post topic, I have to really question why someone who "can deeply understand what it means to live paycheque to paycheque" feels it is normal to visit Timmies every morning for a coffee and old fashioned doughnot every day for at least a 6 buck hit with taxes?? That's at least 120 bucks a month.
Whatever happened to the auto timed coffee maker and a tray of muffins, or raisin bread, or just toast and jam for an entire week for 5 bucks?
All of which leads me to be very doubtful the guy brown bags a lunch either if he can't make coffee and toast or scramble a simple egg in the morning. Lunches every day are probably costing him 250 bucks at least a month and he wonders were his paycheque goes.
I think Alan Harris has just unwittingly increased his monthly purchasing power by about a 100 bucks a month by boycotting Timmies. But then again I doubt he is smart enough to realize that and will just switch to the McDonalds drive thru cuz that is where millennials think breakfast and lunches are made. Somewhere other than their own home.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
johnny24
Board Meister

Re: Skewed priorities

Post by johnny24 »

twobits wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Business/215874/Timmie-s-regulars-rise-up

While I am more than less impressed with Tim Horton's pricing mantra that does not allow local franchise markets to react to local conditions, and even less impressed that an heiress to the founder would gouge back gains made in wages, I did take note of this statement in the posted article.

Alan Harris decided to stop his near daily pre-work Tim Hortons stop for an extra-large coffee and old-fashioned plain doughnut in Windsor, Ont. in a gesture of solidarity.
Harris works in retail and saw his pay increase to the new minimum wage this year.
"I can deeply understand what it means to live paycheque to paycheque,"

In line with the post topic, I have to really question why someone who "can deeply understand what it means to live paycheque to paycheque" feels it is normal to visit Timmies every morning for a coffee and old fashioned doughnot every day for at least a 6 buck hit with taxes?? That's at least 120 bucks a month.
Whatever happened to the auto timed coffee maker and a tray of muffins, or raisin bread, or just toast and jam for an entire week for 5 bucks?
All of which leads me to be very doubtful the guy brown bags a lunch either if he can't make coffee and toast or scramble a simple egg in the morning. Lunches every day are probably costing him 250 bucks at least a month and he wonders were his paycheque goes.
I think Alan Harris has just unwittingly increased his monthly purchasing power by about a 100 bucks a month by boycotting Timmies. But then again I doubt he is smart enough to realize that and will just switch to the McDonalds drive thru cuz that is where millennials think breakfast and lunches are made. Somewhere other than their own home.

So... You're mad that some stranger doesn't spend his money the same way that you would?
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

People wonder why Canadians are so far in debt. Well this tool is a reason. No money sense at all.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

Less sales means less need for staff. The boycott would just cost somebody hours.
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

I get so TIRED of people saying they live pay cheque to pay cheque. With this statement they aren’t taking responsibility for themselves.

There’s got to be a better way!

I highly recommend to all of my friends on this forum, (I’m not really sure I have friends on here, but I do get a lot of likes) an online program called YNAB. Using this program and some discipline you can turn your finances around.

We have used it with much success. We seldom have an argument about money, it’s a discussion about what’s in the budget.

fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

We can question the wisdom of Mr. Harris's protest, but that doesn't negate the need for it. There used to be a time when corporate responsibility included looking after your employees, taking an interest in their welfare just as they are asked to take some responsibility for the fiscal health of the employer. It's no surprise that when you see people reduced to numbers in the expense column that they employee/employer relationship turns to something more adversarial than cooperative. For all that it's worth, I won't be spending any money at Timmies until they change their tune.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
LordEd
Guru

Post by LordEd »

fluffy wrote:For all that it's worth, I won't be spending any money at Timmies until they change their tune.

As a question though, will you be willing to pay more to offset the extra expenses?
Health forum: Health, well-being, medicine, aging, digital currency enslavement, depopulation conspiracy.

If you want to discuss anything real, you're in the wrong place.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

JagXKR wrote:People wonder why Canadians are so far in debt. Well this tool is a reason. No money sense at all.

Or maybe he has great money sense and now has an extra $4/day to spend on something he enjoys.
JagXKR
Lord of the Board

Post by JagXKR »

Maybe he has now. But it took this event in order for the light bulb to come on. Me thinks the bulb is very low wattage.
Why use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

JagXKR wrote:People wonder why Canadians are so far in debt. Well this tool is a reason. No money sense at all.

johnny24 wrote: maybe he has great money sense and now has an extra $4/day to spend on something he enjoys.

Funny you chose to say it was $4 to spend on something he enjoys. I don't know this specific guys financial obligations so I am generalizing but to me that would be $4 to put towards debt pay down or investing for the future.

buying-something-for (1).jpg
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

TreeGuy wrote:

johnny24 wrote: maybe he has great money sense and now has an extra $4/day to spend on something he enjoys.

Funny you chose to say it was $4 to spend on something he enjoys. I don't know this specific guys financial obligations so I am generalizing but to me that would be $4 to put towards debt pay down or investing for the future.

buying-something-for (1).jpg

Well, you obviously aren't Alan Harris. I'm sure if you put your financials out into the public, you'd get a lot of criticism on how you spent your money also (but not from me).
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

fluffy wrote: For all that it's worth, I won't be spending any money at Timmies until they change their tune.

I'll offset you as I am now going to be going to Timmies a lot more and hope they don't change their tune. Something millennials and others who haven't grown up yet have to learn sometime in their lives - when you introduce dramatic seismic shifts to components of your income statement, there are consequences. I realize that most millennials have never had to deal with consequences of actions before (if they got a C- in school their parents just went and yelled at the teacher and turned it into an A-) but now is as good a time as any. So time to start going to Timmies! (and it will be simply allocating purchases to Timmies that were going elsewhere before, I mean, I'm not Alan Harris).
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
HorganIsMyHero
Board Meister

Post by HorganIsMyHero »

Do people not realize it's extremely common for gift cards loaded with money for certain businesses to be given away as gifts? While the guy in question who is being bashed as an idiot here may very well be mismanaging money, it's just as likely he receives gift cards.

btw, why aren't people protesting all the other minimum wage businesses that never offered paid breaks in the first place? I've never had a paid break in my life. i didn't even know Tim Horton's offered them.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Technically I think housing prices are what make canadians the most indebted in the world.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

HorganIsMyHero wrote:Do people not realize it's extremely common for gift cards loaded with money for certain businesses to be given away as gifts? While the guy in question who is being bashed as an idiot here may very well be mismanaging money, it's just as likely he receives gift cards.

btw, why aren't people protesting all the other minimum wage businesses that never offered paid breaks in the first place? I've never had a paid break in my life. i didn't even know Tim Horton's offered them.

Weird. I've never had an unpaid break. I thought paid breaks was a law until I saw this story.

Return to “B.C.”