Men's Winter Olympic Hockey

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: Men's Winter Olympic Hockey

Post by Jflem1983 »

An interesting point . Amateur sports . Used to mean nobility . The sons of the rulers of the world . Those who were too rich to fight and die in war . Were sportsman . The modern Olympics exemplified this by excluding for the first 75 years or so pro athletes. This was done because pros were seen as needing the money . Therefore not nobility and not too important to die in war . Today we have pro athletes who feel they are to good for amateur sports . How the times have changed
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

the truth wrote:miracle on ice :smt045 go canada go

If that was to happen, that team needs to come together now. Herb Brooks started that team almost year (I'm not sure the time frame exactly) before the Olympics in 1980.
Last edited by GordonH on Mar 22nd, 2017, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
What_the
Übergod

Post by What_the »

I think it's time to drop "amateur" from the Olympics. They've been training since childhood. Around the adult years, diet and nutrition strictly regulated, supplements, full time training etc. And money to get there, peripherals etc

These are top tier athletes, not amateurs....that just don't collect a salary.
Would so rather be over educated that a knuckle dragging Neanderthal bereft of critical thought and imagination. Although in the case of Neanderthals, that's quite the insult.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

What_the wrote:I think it's time to drop "amateur" from the olympics.

They did.....30 years ago.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So its official NHL is not going to South Korea Winter Olympics
https://www.castanet.net/news/World/193 ... m-Olympics

I remember hearing OV saying no matter what he will be going, I guess we will see if he does or not.

Personally I don't blame them since the 2018 Winter Games location is not very far from border of the Wacko in North Korea. imo
bad place to hold event like this

Added later: I'm a proponent of having 2 statuary locations for the Olympic's
Summer: Greece (original home)
Winter: Lillehammer (guarantee winter conditions)
IOC build state art facilities in both location & up keep them.
Countries can still bid on hosting, just not in their country.
Then no need to always having to build these costly facilities.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Glad they won't go
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Asked if he would go anyhow, the way Ovechkin has promised in Washington, McDavid assumed his preferred position as a younger player who hasn’t even played 125 NHL games yet.

“At this point, I’m in no position to make a statement like that,” he said.

I like this kid more and more. Very smart comment.

I'm hoping the NHL is being "the bad guy" here as a matter of keeping players safe in an area of the world they may have concerns. Some players missing 1 Olympics is one thing, all of us missing out on these players for 10 - 15 years
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Yes I know its middle of summer, looking at some of names being bounce around for Team Canada since NHL is not going. Makes for some interesting reading. It could be a tossup between Spangler Cup & bad year at IIHF World Championship. Not sure we can three-peat
http://www.tsn.ca/canada-names-pre-olym ... s-1.813971
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Bumped

Well, its looking more & more like team being sent to Olympics in South Korea will be similar to what is sent to the Spengler Cup
https://www.castanet.net/news/WHL/21244 ... -Olympians

Maybe if the team does well at the Spengler Cup, just keep them together for the Olympics as well.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

could be fun to watch, something different :smt045
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

So the next Hockey Canada event is the Olympics in South Korea, more the likely the roster that played at the Spengler Cup will be used here as well. With the possible addition of members of Gold medal team at WJC.

So I'm keeping my avatar minus the Santa hat
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Okay Hockey Canada has announced the roster going to South Korea next month for the Olympics
https://www.tsn.ca/hockey-canada-unveil ... r-1.965278

Go Canada Go
Poindexter
Guru

Post by Poindexter »

GordonH wrote:Okay Hockey Canada has announced the roster going to South Korea next month for the Olympics

Go Canada Go

Touching speech by Willie Desjardins at that ceremony, think he was a great choice as coach.
Remember: Humans are 99% chimp.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Okay Hockey Canada has announced the roster going to South Korea next month for the Olympics

Go Canada Go

Poindexter wrote:Touching speech by Willie Desjardins at that ceremony, think he was a great choice as coach.

Yes, may Willie have similar success as he did at the Spengler Cup.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Here is schedule for 2018 (all times are EST so just minus 3 hrs i.e 4am EST is 1am PST):
https://www.hockeycanada.ca/en-ca/team- ... s/schedule

Added: Canada should have no problem winning Group A, toughest competition will be Czech Republic

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”