New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holiday pa

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Jflem1983
Guru

Re: New rules cost Calgary restaurateur $11K for stat holida

Post by Jflem1983 »

LTD wrote:I wouldn't get off my couch for 25 an hour

Lots of people wont. But they are not the ones who need work either
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

must be nice to have that option, 25 an hour would be almost double what i make now
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Bubalouie wrote:must be nice to have that option, 25 an hour would be almost double what i make now

Jesus. That is horrible. U probably know u r worth more.
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Bubalouie
Guru

Post by Bubalouie »

Yup for sure.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

I’m curious where this 11k comes from.

Most restaurants don’t pay their staff all that well, relying on tips. But let’s imagine they were getting payed at the $25 an hour some are mentioning in this thread (note it would have to be one hell of a restaurant for this to be the case).

25/hour at OT pay would be 37.5
8 hours of OT would then be $300

So in order for the restaurant to spend 11k in staff holiday pay, it would need to have 36 full time employees. Seems high. Some McDonald’s have about that many employees, but the majority being only part timers or employees otherwise that would not qualify for a full 8 hours of OT. Additionally they make typically min wage.

According to Glassdoor. Executive chefs tend to make a 50k salary. Which is roughly 24/hour. This means that the majority of employees would be under 25/hour

Glassdoor also shows that the majority of waiter positions in Calgary are 11-15$/ hour or possibly salaried up to 25k.

At these rates, looking at the high end of pay, that would be 22.5/hour or 180 for 8 hours. At these rates it would take 61 full time employees.

Is this a single restaurant or a franchise? These numbers seem awfully high.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Found some more information. So it’s 2 restaurants, and his total staff is 140. Suffice to say these are not full time staff otherwise the 11k would result in their regular wages being only $6/hour

Either way for that number of employees, is this really an abnormally high amount to pay to be labour compliant? Also with 140 employees are they really a “small business”? I get that 11k for one day sounds like a lot, but let’s look in context:

If 11k is the expense for a stat day, it would mean regular daily expense would be 7.3k. The restaurants are open 6 days a week, resulting in 313 days which would be ~2.3 million in annual salaries. Out of that, the extra 50k a year in holiday pay he’s projecting really doesn’t seem like much...in fact it’s basically an increase in expenses of 2.1%

Sounds like he’s a very successful businessman. But I can’t see how a 2% difference in expenses is going to break any business. Particularly if you’re doing this well.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Omnitheo wrote:Found some more information. So it’s 2 restaurants, and his total staff is 140. Suffice to say these are not full time staff otherwise the 11k would result in their regular wages being only $6/hour

Either way for that number of employees, is this really an abnormally high amount to pay to be labour compliant? Also with 140 employees are they really a “small business”? I get that 11k for one day sounds like a lot, but let’s look in context:

If 11k is the expense for a stat day, it would mean regular daily expense would be 7.3k. The restaurants are open 6 days a week, resulting in 313 days which would be ~2.3 million in annual salaries. Out of that, the extra 50k a year in holiday pay he’s projecting really doesn’t seem like much...in fact it’s basically an increase in expenses of 2.1%

Sounds like he’s a very successful businessman. But I can’t see how a 2% difference in expenses is going to break any business. Particularly if you’re doing this well.

The 7.3k per day figure seems quite high to me. Would that be the figure if all 140 staff members work on any given day he's open? This seems unlikely, but perhaps I'm misunderstanding.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

You’re right, I’m thinking bc laws of 1.5x pay on works hours. Thank you for making me check it over again.

Reading the AB laws again, here’s how it’s supposed to be calculated:
“Starting Jan. 1, "the new law states that every employee in the business now receives five per cent of their last four weeks gross pay on the stat holiday”

So 11k/140
$78 per person for the day. Which means their average across 4 weeks is $1,560 (78x20 to find the 100%)
From here I can find an average wage is of 9.75 which seems quite normal for a restaurant. (Though not important to the rest of the equation).

We know that they are working enough to result in 11k being paid, which means that on average each employee is making 1,560 over 4 weeks (obviously some are not working on a given day and others are paid more than 9.75, but this is just averaging it)
As they are closed 1 day a week, this means that the 4 week average is split into 24 days. That’s an average of 65$ a day per employee. Or $9,100

Which means the average daily expense is even higher than originally calculated. Resulting in yearly expense of 2,848,300
Meaning that the 50k projected over the year is actually only an increase in expenses of 1.76%

Please if you see a problem with my math or how I’m calculating things let me know.
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

Hm. I think you'd need to factor in the EI, CPP, WCB and any other payroll-related cost to the employer? Those may be included in the $11K figure as well, reducing the corresponding gross pay of the employees.

It's an interesting exercise, isn't it?
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Omnitheo wrote:I’m curious where this 11k comes from.

Most restaurants don’t pay their staff all that well, relying on tips. But let’s imagine they were getting payed at the $25 an hour some are mentioning in this thread (note it would have to be one hell of a restaurant for this to be the case).

25/hour at OT pay would be 37.5
8 hours of OT would then be $300

So in order for the restaurant to spend 11k in staff holiday pay, it would need to have 36 full time employees. Seems high. Some McDonald’s have about that many employees, but the majority being only part timers or employees otherwise that would not qualify for a full 8 hours of OT. Additionally they make typically min wage.

According to Glassdoor. Executive chefs tend to make a 50k salary. Which is roughly 24/hour. This means that the majority of employees would be under 25/hour

Glassdoor also shows that the majority of waiter positions in Calgary are 11-15$/ hour or possibly salaried up to 25k.

At these rates, looking at the high end of pay, that would be 22.5/hour or 180 for 8 hours. At these rates it would take 61 full time employees.

Is this a single restaurant or a franchise? These numbers seem awfully high.

Its calculated by 5% of each employees combined last 4 weeks of work.
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Yep, I address that in a later post and recalculate with that info.

Return to “Social Concerns”