81 Companies raise wage rates in US - even Walmart

The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

81 Companies raise wage rates in US - even Walmart

Post by The Green Barbarian »

"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: 81 Companies raise wage rates in US - even Walmart

Post by CapitalB »

Its nice of them to divert a tiny percentage the the money they're saving to their employees though it looks a lot like they're all just going;
look see trickle down works!

Looks good now but we'll see how it looks after the 5ish trillion dollars less the US government receives in tax revenue over the next decade. I mean the country already has trouble keeping its roads paved and the lights on, lets see how far they can push that with less government revenue.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

Yes, Wal-Mart raised hourly wages and benefits....on the same day it shut down it's Sam's Club laying off 11,000 workers.

Other companies that have announced increases and bonuses have turned around and shut down other divisions. AT&T, for example. It's not all puppies and roses for everyone. And it's just the beginning.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

MalaPropina wrote:Yes, Wal-Mart raised hourly wages and benefits....on the same day it shut down it's Sam's Club laying off 11,000 workers.

Other companies that have announced increases and bonuses have turned around and shut down other divisions. AT&T, for example. It's not all puppies and roses for everyone. And it's just the beginning.

Yup. Announce a few million in wage increases in bonuses to appease the orange buffoon, thus assuring the millions upon millions in corporate tax breaks continue, then turn around and downsize to save millions and millions more.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

RupertBear wrote:, then turn around and downsize to save millions and millions more.

not sure I follow? Walmart, like all bricks and mortar retailers, is seeing a dramatic decline in foot traffic. Are you advocating that all retailers just keep their stores open, even with fewer and fewer customers? Should Walmart close down their online shopping website and force people to shop on foot? Should Ford and GM start making buggies for horses and stop making cars? I'd like you to explain why businesses aren't allowed to react to macroeconomic factors in a changing marketplace and world? Or is it just Walmart that is supposed to circle the drain and death spiral, because they are a favorite punching bag of the left?
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Shoot they closed 63 stores. Giving each employee a bonus check plus 60 days pay for the ones who are out of a job. The smart ones just doubled their income for 2 months
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

MalaPropina wrote:Yes, Wal-Mart raised hourly wages and benefits....on the same day it shut down it's Sam's Club laying off 11,000 workers.

Walmart isn't closing all Sam's Club stores ... it's closing 63 Sam’s Club warehouse locations. Sam’s Club will convert as many as 12 of the locations being closed to e-commerce fulfillment centers, helping it provide faster delivery of online orders. The first to be converted will be in Memphis, Tennessee.

Founded in 1983, the chain will have 597 Sam’s Club locations after the closures. It employs about 100,000 in the U.S., according to its website. It accounts for about 13 percent of the company’s total revenue.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
RupertBear wrote:, then turn around and downsize to save millions and millions more.

not sure I follow? Walmart, like all bricks and mortar retailers, is seeing a dramatic decline in foot traffic. Are you advocating that all retailers just keep their stores open, even with fewer and fewer customers? Should Walmart close down their online shopping website and force people to shop on foot? Should Ford and GM start making buggies for horses and stop making cars? I'd like you to explain why businesses aren't allowed to react to macroeconomic factors in a changing marketplace and world? Or is it just Walmart that is supposed to circle the drain and death spiral, because they are a favorite punching bag of the left?

It's pretty simple.
Businesses are in the market to make money. When a company can take government job-creation tax breaks with one hand and push down-sized employees out the door with the other hand, it's a win/win for the company.
Who knows, we might just get to the point where the Walmarts of the world will just get their product shipped directly from the Chinese factories to their customers (the ones that still have a job and can afford to shop at Walmart).
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

RupertBear wrote:It's pretty simple.
Businesses are in the market to make money. When a company can take government job-creation tax breaks with one hand and push down-sized employees out the door with the other hand, it's a win/win for the company.
Who knows, we might just get to the point where the Walmarts of the world will just get their product shipped directly from the Chinese factories to their customers (the ones that still have a job and can afford to shop at Walmart).

I still don't get it. Why would you want Walmart to keep redundant stores open? Are you some kind of business genius that knows the intracacies of the Walmart empire and all of their inner-workings?
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
RupertBear wrote:It's pretty simple.

I still don't get it. Why would you want Walmart to keep redundant stores open? Are you some kind of business genius that knows the intracacies of the Walmart empire and all of their inner-workings?

Where did I say I wanted them to keep their stores open. I said it made perfect business sense: gobble up millions in government handouts and then save millions by boarding up a bunch of stores.
It might backfire with some of Trump's base though. There will be fewer places for his staunchest supporters to slip out to at 3 a.m. for a 24-pack of Lone Star and a new AR-15 assault rifle.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

If those stores were profitable, Wal-Mart wouldn’t have shut them down. I’m not following your logic RupertBear. It seems you’re trying to correlate two completely separate and different events.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

RupertBear wrote: I said it made perfect business sense: gobble up millions in government handouts and then save millions by boarding up a bunch of stores.
I.

Now you've really lost me. What government hand-outs are you referring to? I don't see any reference to this anywhere.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

The Green Barbarian wrote:Now you've really lost me. What government hand-outs are you referring to? I don't see any reference to this anywhere.

A large segment of Wal-Mart employees rely on government programs, like food stamps, to get by because they aren't paid a living wage. Of course most food stamps are then redeemed at Wal-Mart. They rely on taxpayers as part of their business model.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

JLives wrote:
The Green Barbarian wrote:Now you've really lost me. What government hand-outs are you referring to? I don't see any reference to this anywhere.

A large segment of Wal-Mart employees rely on government programs, like food stamps, to get by because they aren't paid a living wage. Of course most food stamps are then redeemed at Wal-Mart. They rely on taxpayers as part of their business model.

Ok my sister works at urban fair. Been there for years. Makes not enough to live. Why are u not protesting urban fair
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

God I hate whataboutisms. It's because the conversation was focused on Wal-Mart. I'm opposed to all companies who don't pay a living wage.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “World”