Chairlift accident

Zoso
Übergod

Re: Chairlift accident

Post by Zoso »

A million hey ? That's a long way from being safe . Likely the old stuff cannot be modified to the new standard , meaning perhaps they have to replace an entire lift ? Maybe big white will lend them one for part ownership . Prob still not tantalizing enough though .
Strong and free
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

mikest2 wrote:magnetic (flux leakage) rope testing required every three years, two thousand a rope at the most for testing. The rope on that chair is only worth about 40K

I've never been up there myself so don't know what they have. I just know that testing of chair lift cables at other ski hills can set you back a million bucks.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

Does anyone know what's going on with crystal mountain? I haven't heard anything for a while. Its been almost 4 years since they closed.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Frisk wrote:Does anyone know what's going on with crystal mountain? I haven't heard anything for a while. Its been almost 4 years since they closed.

They should sell it for development.

Didn't they try that a few years ago?

Shame it couldn't be reopened, nice little bunny hill for kids and locals. Just not commercially viable.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Would make a good family fun area:
Easy ski runs
Tubing
Tobogganing etc... etc
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

should build a bunch of off the grid cabins and build a half pipe up there . Make the place more of a destination for 20 somethings that can't afford bogwhite . Concerts , competitions . Sponsors , exposure ..
Strong and free
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

I could be wrong but it seemed like the hill was doing pretty well for itself before the accident. There was always plenty of people there. I thought if they fixed the safety issues then it could reopen. It was a fun place to hangout for the afternoon if you didn't feel like driving to big white.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

Zoso wrote:should build a bunch of off the grid cabins and build a half pipe up there . Make the place more of a destination for 20 somethings that can't afford bogwhite . Concerts , competitions . Sponsors , exposure ..

Do it!

I guess a business plan would need to factor in how to make a profit from broke kids.

Hmm...

Or maybe don't do it.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Zoso wrote:should build a bunch of off the grid cabins and build a half pipe up there . Make the place more of a destination for 20 somethings that can't afford bogwhite . Concerts , competitions . Sponsors , exposure ..

too close to town for outdoor concerts unless you want the noise complaints, however I am all for the rest.

With the right management they may be able to attract enough local investors and volunteers to get things going.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Big White offered to buy the mountain at a reduced rate because it needs a lot of work done up there to get it back to industry standard. The owners would rather it just sits around not being used at all by anybody.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

If I owned Big White I would try buying it at a reduced rate, and rather than improve it just leave it alone and abandoned. Or dismantle it and sell the land to some developers.
After all Big White may lose some business with the local competion.

So I don't balame the owners for not selling.
jsytnick
Board Meister

Post by jsytnick »

It’s too bad the hill isn’t in operation anymore, would be a great spot for a few hours of fun with a shorter drive than biggie. I’ve recently ridden up there on a snowbike and checked out the lift shacks, it seems a waste to not have them running.
steve mc
Fledgling

Post by steve mc »

real shame was a great affordable family hill, close easy to get to allways busy, jobs ,everybody I know learn to ski there.
sulchie
Fledgling

Post by sulchie »

Its the continuing saga of the fun places for families in Westbank closing because there's no money in it. Just sit around instead.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've seen lots of families up in the hills sledding and having fun. No excuse to be sitting inside.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

Return to “Central Okanagan”