Another winery bites the dust

Cactusflower
Banned

Another winery bites the dust

Post by Cactusflower »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... p-for-sale

Who didn't see this coming? I wonder how much it's going to cost to rip out all the grapevines and replant fruit trees? That's the only way they're going to sell a vineyard in the Okanagan now. Serves them right for jumping on a collapsing bandwagon.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Another winery bites the dust

Post by LTD »

serves them right? where does it say its failing or that theyre on hard times maybe they just want to retire maybe they have a different business venture they want to pursue why would there be any need to rip out all the grapes why do you even care its none of your business unless you plan on buying it
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Maybe one of longer standing wineries in the area, would be interested in taking this one over/purchasing it.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GordonH wrote:Maybe one of longer standing wineries in the area, would be interested in taking this one over/purchasing it.
That's happened before. There are over 2 dozen wineries along that road and some outstanding wines. I'm thinking the owners will make a pretty penny after doing it for a few years and go on to the next venture.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

Y'all must have missed my post in the BC forum about the absurd amount of unsold BC wines in storage. There is a glut of it on the market. I see these winery sales as a sign of the writing on the wall of over investment and production being realized.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
dogspoiler
Buddha of the Board

Post by dogspoiler »

I can solve that problem with one word. SALE.
Black Dogs Matter
twobits
Guru

Post by twobits »

dogspoiler wrote:I can solve that problem with one word. SALE.

They can't because the inventory is leveraged to the banks. Think underwater mortgage holder.
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard.
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/216150/Another-winery-up-for-sale

Who didn't see this coming? I wonder how much it's going to cost to rip out all the grapevines and replant fruit trees? That's the only way they're going to sell a vineyard in the Okanagan now. Serves them right for jumping on a collapsing bandwagon.

It doesn’t say so but even if they did fall on hard times I find it absolutely pathetic that someone would say “serves them right”. They are not drug dealers that got caught....they are hard working people that took a chance and opened a business. I hope they didn’t fall on hard times and with the sale they walk away with a handsome profit!!
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

vegas1500 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/216150/Another-winery-up-for-sale

It doesn’t say so but even if they did fall on hard times I find it absolutely pathetic that someone would say “serves them right”. They are not drug dealers that got caught....they are hard working people that took a chance and opened a business. I hope they didn’t fall on hard times and with the sale they walk away with a handsome profit!!

Read the story. They didn't just 'fall on hard times'. They bought a peach and apricot orchard in 2003, decided (as many other orchardists in the valley did) that they could make a killing if they ripped all the fruit trees out and planted wine grapes instead. So now there's a big glut of wine on the market and they want out. Would you buy this vineyard now? Anyone with a lick of business sense wouldn't.
RupertBear
Übergod

Post by RupertBear »

This is still an evolving industry in the Okanagan. I think there will still be corrections in pricing. I buy a lot of Okanagan wines, but usually when I’m entertaining visitors to the valley or for a nice dinner with friends. For my day to day glass of vino, I’d much rather spend $13 for a nice glass of French Syrah or Argentinian Malbec than spend $26 for a similar quality Okanagan wine.
"Do the best with what you know, and when you know better, do better." -- Maya Angelou
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Lots of speculation from people who know nothing about this business. Maybe a health issue is the cause of the sale. That's just as likely as anything else.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:Lots of speculation from people who know nothing about this business. Maybe a health issue is the cause of the sale. That's just as likely as anything else.

You maybe on to something here, unhealthy wine sales... lol ..... I'd better blank-off now :runforlife:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

vegas1500 wrote:

Absolutely Vegas1500. They went with a trend that looked good, put a lot of blood sweat and tears into it and here we have someone claiming they deserved to lose it all. Pathetic. Sorry Cactusflower but the wine industry wasn't in trouble when they bought the vineyard, they were likely capitalizing on hard work and marketing to make a venture successful. I find your glee distasteful to say the least. Vinager to you.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
vegas1500
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by vegas1500 »

Who didn't see this coming? I wonder how much it's going to cost to rip out all the grapevines and replant fruit trees? That's the only way they're going to sell a vineyard in the Okanagan now. Serves them right for jumping on a collapsing bandwagon.[/quote]

It doesn’t say so but even if they did fall on hard times I find it absolutely pathetic that someone would say “serves them right”. They are not drug dealers that got caught....they are hard working people that took a chance and opened a business. I hope they didn’t fall on hard times and with the sale they walk away with a handsome profit!![/quote]

Read the story. They didn't just 'fall on hard times'. They bought a peach and apricot orchard in 2003, decided (as many other orchardists in the valley did) that they could make a killing if they ripped all the fruit trees out and planted wine grapes instead. So now there's a big glut of wine on the market and they want out. Would you buy this vineyard now? Anyone with a lick of business sense wouldn't.[/quote]

I did read the story......who cares what they bought and when they bought it. They worked hard to try and better themselves and I hope they do/did. Please let the bank come take your car, truck, bike, home, or whatever because I’m sure it serves you right......
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

People sell for all kinds of reasons and may not disclose the real reason because it's none of our freaking biz.

I find the "bites the dust" distasteful, sorry C.flower be a prickly as you want, but we will react. I hope no one was cheering for the demise of my business, the partnership dissolved because I chose full time with benefits once I had a rental and a house. I wonder how many people distastefully mischaracterized my situation.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “South Okanagan”