Prof put on restrictions

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Prof put on restrictions

Post by dirtybiker »

Brenky wrote:I'm a millennial. It's incredibly insulting .

There, there, here's a ribbon and an ice cream///

As far as the prof is concerned, with his back ground makes him dangerous.
As a professional witness he should be able to discredit everyone, prove they are lying and
that the sky is not blue.
Be interesting to follow......not him.....just the proceedings.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

jasond_71 wrote:Funny I was watching mad men which takes place early 60's and they were saying the new generation was lazy and wanted everything handed to them. I'm a gen x and I'm sure the baby boomers said that about us:)

Of course they did. And the post ww1-ers said the same about us.

The millennial a few posts up sure was sensitive though. :biggrin:
You and 71 others Like this post
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

put-for-dough wrote:I would like to get a taxpayers petition going to have this Prof. removed and we no longer support him. Any one interested??

Why does anyone have to be interested? If you are willing to start a petition, go ahead and see what you get for a response. That’s the whole idea of a petition.
You and 71 others Like this post
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

featfan wrote:http://thetango.net/2018/01/07/millennial-job-interview/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26UCSVj-yhQ

Just how the world is heading.

Funny, I thought he’d go for the lollipop. ;-)
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

LANDM wrote:Why does anyone have to be interested? If you are willing to start a petition, go ahead and see what you get for a response. That’s the whole idea of a petition.

Maybe because, like most from that generation, he/she/ze will not take any risks. A petition will only work if it's a sure thing to reinforce their position.
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

I liked he is an expert on lying. Yea right no one else knows NLP
Meanwhile I will one up the petition, calling the Dean to voice my concerns and express my dismay.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

put-for-dough wrote:Why are we the taxpayers supporting someone who has crossed all moral bounds and should be charged in court as the average citizen would be. GO TO JAIL DO NOT PASS GO!!!!

Taxpayers aren't supporting him.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

It doesn't say anywhere in the article that he harassed students. OP, do you know something about this situation that we don't? In the end it doesn't matter who he harassed, but little assumptions like that easily become accepted as fact.

I have no idea what rules the governing bodies have to follow...have the allegations been found true in an investigation? Or are these restrictions all pending a full investigation? I'm not defending this fellow, but I know firing a tenured professor isn't as simple as just calling him into the office and telling him he's done. Perhaps the allegations against him aren't solid enough to withstand an appeal? Just trying to think of reasons why firing him wasn't the best option.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
psychprof
Fledgling

Post by psychprof »

Being in the same profession I do have some insider knowledge. We were all told to keep it hush hush as UBCO was scared of the bad rep. Now that it is finally out there we are allowed to express our dismay. He used his position of power to intimidate his female students into having sex. All of the students in his lab were women of course and the deal was if you slept with him you would get lots of publications which translates into success in academia. One incident in particular stands out. He invited his harem to his house for a party and grabbed a student’s breast - witnessed by several others. At an informal (read secret hush hush) hearing at UBCO he was found to be “too drunk to form intent.” Why aren’t these women pressing charges, you ask? This would be career suicide. Academia is an old boys’ club.
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

I am rather surprised that you would post any "insider knowledge" at any point on a public forum.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

put-for-dough wrote:Why are we the taxpayers supporting someone who has crossed all moral bounds and should be charged in court as the average citizen would be. GO TO JAIL DO NOT PASS GO!!!!

While his actions are unacceptable from what has been speculated (We really don't know what happened), the taxpayers so far have not paid this man anything. He is a Professor at a University, paid by the University not the BC teachers or the government. On the flip side though, if charges were laid and he was found guilty and had to serve time, then we tax payers would then be supporting him...
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Thank you for your insight, psychprof.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Well, that Is exactly what the ‘list’ suggests. Using his ‘power differentials’, to unprofessionally cause harm by crossing boundaries to sexually Harrass the less powerful. After 18 months he gets a ‘get out of supervision free card?’ Do We also now have a group of students who get an undeserved A in class subjects?

“He is also to be under regulatory supervision by a registrant of the College for a period of 18 months, subject to extension or shortening at the discretion of the Inquiry Committee, with a particular focus on:

Boundary issues;
Power differentials;
Sexual harassment;
Professionalism;
Doing no harm;”
Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
psychprof
Fledgling

Post by psychprof »

foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

And here's something a little more close to home:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.4290596

Return to “Central Okanagan”