NFL

Sports, camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, exercise, biking, scooters...you get the idea.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: NFL

Post by GordonH »

Troy wrote:While I disagree with that call as well, it was definitely not unheard of.
http://www.espn.com/blog/statsinfo/post ... from-the-1
Sometimes you have to do the unexpected to win too.

Maybe not against Bill Belichick defence . lol
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

GordonH wrote:
johnny24 wrote:I don't like the call either, but I can guarantee they didn't tell Wilson to throw an interception.

To throw that close to goal line in a Super Bowl game is unheard of.... then doing it against a Bill Belichick defence is just pure stupid. He is the type of coach that most likely teaches his players to expect the unexpected.

Something to read for those interested in getting to know the game a little bit more:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1666 ... onsibility

It's not unheard of. Teams pass frequently from inside the 5 yard line. Teams pass frequently on 3rd and 4th short yardage. Butler jumping a slant route and picking it off is almost unheard of.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

johnny24 wrote:I don't like the call either, but I can guarantee they didn't tell Wilson to throw an interception.

GordonH wrote:To throw that close to goal line in a Super Bowl game is unheard of.... then doing it against a Bill Belichick defence is just pure stupid. He is the type of coach that most likely teaches his players to expect the unexpected.

Something to read for those interested in getting to know the game a little bit more:

johnny24 wrote:It's not unheard of. Teams pass frequently from inside the 5 yard line. Teams pass frequently on 3rd and 4th short yardage. Butler jumping a slant route and picking it off is almost unheard of.

1 yard line with 24 seconds (2nd & goal) in the game for a Super Bowl win, yes thats unheard of not to rush/run the ball. They can do it all they want in regular season games... and maybe it works.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

GordonH wrote:

GordonH wrote:To throw that close to goal line in a Super Bowl game is unheard of.... then doing it against a Bill Belichick defence is just pure stupid. He is the type of coach that most likely teaches his players to expect the unexpected.

johnny24 wrote:It's not unheard of. Teams pass frequently from inside the 5 yard line. Teams pass frequently on 3rd and 4th short yardage. Butler jumping a slant route and picking it off is almost unheard of.

1 yard line with 24 seconds in the game for a Super Bowl win, yes thats unheard of not to rush/run the ball. They can do it all they want in regular season games... and maybe it works.

You only have to go back to last year. Patriots threw the ball from the 2 yard line with 57 sec left to tie. I can't recall any other times in the Super Bowl where a team has had the ball inside the 5 with less than a minute remaining.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

You may want check the video to see what happened to tie the game, last throw in regulation was from the 8 yard line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-hngbOQl4Q
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

GordonH wrote:You may want check the video to see what happened to tie the game, last throw in regulation was from the 8 yard line
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-hngbOQl4Q

I stand corrected. I still can't recall any other Super Bowl's where the game was decided with a team inside the 5 with under a minute to play.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

GordonH wrote:
lesliepaul wrote:Firing Darrell Bevell now...........too little too late. This P.O.S. should have been fired literally after the play (not the end of the game) he called that resulted in the interception and killing what should have been Seattle's second Super Bowl win. Paul Allen should also look at Pete Carroll being replaced. Between Carroll and Bevell, they ruined what was a very talented team that will now be dismantled due to injuries and age and no doubt, no faith in their coaching staff. Would LOVE to hear what Richard Sherman has to say!

It is amazing what ONE play did to this team mentally........but the coaching staff was not accountable.

That play was one of stupidest plays ever, it had to be approved by Head Coach. impo the owner should have fire both on the spot.... with that maybe Marshawn Lynch would not have retired from Seahawks.

The play IS a HIGH RISK play at the goal line with more defenders around than offensive. Sure the play has worked in the past.........during a less pressure game and against who? 24 seconds left with one time-out...........this equates to 3 plays. One pass play needed to be used......score and win or incomplete and clock stops. Next play run does not score......use time out......now it is down to one play.

You have to admit that the Seahawks offensive play calling is and has been suspect for years. If it were not for Wilson's scrambling abilities, the Seahawks would be dead in the water. I am willing to bet that 20% of the offensive plays by the Seahawks over the last 4 years have been "broken plays"..........where Wilson is scrambling for his life and ends up succeeding. These are certainly not plays drawn up by Bevell and approved by Carroll. Put it this way........Wilson is the reason Bevell and Carroll lasted as long as they did (have).
johnny24
Board Meister

Post by johnny24 »

lesliepaul wrote:
The play IS a HIGH RISK play at the goal line with more defenders around than offensive. Sure the play has worked in the past.........during a less pressure game and against who? 24 seconds left with one time-out...........this equates to 3 plays. One pass play needed to be used......score and win or incomplete and clock stops. Next play run does not score......use time out......now it is down to one play.

You have to admit that the Seahawks offensive play calling is and has been suspect for years. If it were not for Wilson's scrambling abilities, the Seahawks would be dead in the water. I am willing to bet that 20% of the offensive plays by the Seahawks over the last 4 years have been "broken plays"..........where Wilson is scrambling for his life and ends up succeeding. These are certainly not plays drawn up by Bevell and approved by Carroll. Put it this way........Wilson is the reason Bevell and Carroll lasted as long as they did (have).

The play is not high risk. Read Troy's article earlier. First time all season someone picked off a pass against a team on the 1 yard line (109 attempts), and only 5th time in 10 seasons. 50% chance they score, less than 2% they get picked off. Their percentages would have increased if they ran a play action, which they did not do.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

Man. There's some crazy stuff going on so far in this Falcon/Eagle game. [icon_lol2.gif] I love it.
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

ferri wrote:Man. There's some crazy stuff going on so far in this Falcon/Eagle game. [icon_lol2.gif] I love it.

So Philadelphia moves on to meet either New Orleans or Minnesota in the NFC Championships, to be determined tomorrow
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

ferri wrote:Man. There's some crazy stuff going on so far in this Falcon/Eagle game. [icon_lol2.gif] I love it.

GordonH wrote:So Philadelphia moves on to meet either New Orleans or Minnesota in the NFC Championships, to be determined tomorrow

Barring miracle by Tennessee in Foxboro Brady & Co are heading to AFC championship, against either Pittsburgh or Jacksonville. To be determined tomorrow
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

-11 & sunny, little to no wind in Pittsburgh. Perfect January condition
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Pittsburgh needs to get going in second half, or their season is done.

Weather will not be factor in last divisional game, unless it effect utilities.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

GordonH wrote:-11 & sunny, little to no wind in Pittsburgh. Perfect January condition

Interesting start to the game. Looking for a big Steelers comeback in second half (to the tune of "Renegade)

Ka-El wrote:
GordonH wrote:Next weeks games, who moves on:
AFC
Jacksonville vs Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh)
Tennessee vs New England (Patriots will annihilate the Titans)

NFC
Atlanta vs Philadelphia (could go either way, but without Wentz, Atlanta)
New Orleans vs Minnesota (could go either way - I'll take the Vikings at home)

at .500 so far (underestimated Foles but will still pick them to lose to either the Saints or the Vikings)
need Steelers and Vikings to win today to be above .500

Return to “Sports / Great Outdoors”