New vehicles and gas mileage

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Re: New vehicles and gas mileage

Post by lesliepaul »

Bought a brand new 1978 Chevrolet 3/4 ton Scottsdale, Full-Time 4X4, Automatic with a 350 4 barrel. Back in the late 70's gas was around 50 cents a GALLON. The Full-Time 4X4 worked great in the day and always ensured that I made it to a gas station. This truck went through $10.00 worth of gas a day...........even parked. Spent a $1000 on a 3" lift-kit and some wheels and tires. Truck looked good...........so good that I sold it in 1982 for $8,000.........$400 more than I paid brand new.

I think I prefer living in those days of simplicity and affordability.......even with the poor gas mileage. I paid cash for every vehicle I owned in the 70's and into the 80's.......even new. My earnings back then were very good along with "buying power"........the only drawback then was mortgage rates but we got around that and enjoyed high investment returns.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

My very first vehicle sniffed out gas stations & rarely passed them, had under the hood 351 Cleveland with a 4 barrel carb.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Had a '71 Camero (350 pushing 400) that also had a very active sense of smell.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

GordonH wrote:My very first vehicle sniffed out gas stations & rarely passed them, had under the hood 351 Cleveland with a 4 barrel carb.

Had a 351 windsor. What a pig
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:My very first vehicle sniffed out gas stations & rarely passed them, had under the hood 351 Cleveland with a 4 barrel carb.

Jflem1983 wrote:Had a 351 windsor. What a pig

Previous owner still had crap bias ply tires on it, what huge difference once I changed them to radials.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

TheBoss wrote:Basically the cost of a new vehicle isn't worth it. Sure you get tons of great safety features a car that looses half of it's value the moment you first start it up and drive off of the lot. Also some of the newer cars are just boring econo boxes.

I'd agree with that. Not worth it if all you're considering is savings due to fuel economy.

When I was looking for trucks, I wanted a "newer used" truck. At the time, my budget had me looking at model years of ford trucks where ford did a complete drivetrain overhaul. Ford moved from the 4.6L and 5.4L v8's to 5.0L and ecoboost engines and to a 6speed vs 5speed transmission. The newer drivelines gave a decent boost to fuel economy - more than the typical upgrade to new technology. I planned to own the truck a long time and put something on the order of 150,000km on it.

Long story short - I did the math and the newer driveline/technology would only have saved me an estimated $2000 over what would essentially be the life of the vehicle. Buying a truck that was a year or 2 newer with the newer driveline cost about $6000 on average. I ended up going with a newer truck, but fuel economy wasn't the big reason for why.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

In the coupe i could get a few extra miles if it was a 5-6gear automatic. She tacks a little high on the highway for my taste, instead of 2000-2200 rpm i would like it to be down in the 1500rpm, That's my only complaint.

Why do almost all newer vehicles feel super stiff in the suspension? My coupe with the firm ride on cruises along really nice, not too stiff and not too soft just right.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

TheBoss wrote: Why do almost all newer vehicles feel super stiff in the suspension?

Better control; more force on the road on the outside tires during high speed cornering keeping the car "flat". Thus, "sport suspension". If you're not actually driving the car like a sports car then the stiff suspension is probably not what you want.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

It looks like the major car mfr's are going to be pushing electric cars so won't much care about mileage on the gas ones anymore. That is my assumption anyway.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I find it funny when people talk fuel mileage, or the price of
fuel for that matter.

Then you see the way they drive, foot flat on the floor !!

I can get fuel mileage out of anything I drive...If I choose to.

When the needle is below quarter, not a station around, is when the best fuel mileage
is achieved. :smt045
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

My truck is a 2012 and very thirsty. I get about 350 kms on a tank. But I also drive the crap out of it, she can take it.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

dirtybiker wrote:
When the needle is below quarter, not a station around, is when the best fuel mileage
is achieved. :smt045

:up: :yahoo:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

JLives wrote:I get about 350 kms on a tank.

That means nothing without knowing how many liters the tank holds.

My truck tank holds 142 liters so that would be pretty bad for it.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

JLives wrote:I get about 350 kms on a tank.

Bsuds wrote:That means nothing without knowing how many liters the tank holds.

Besides being damn expensive
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

Bsuds wrote:That means nothing without knowing how many liters the tank holds.

It's an 80 litre tank.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."

Return to “Social Concerns”