The evils of Facebook....

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: The evils of Facebook....

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Catsumi wrote:The evil side of FB appeared again last night on the news. Seems like some hardworking schmuck that owns a reasonably successful eatery in Vancouver was targeted by a gang of FB users who posted extremely negative reviews without proof that they had ever eaten there. (Toenails in soup, etc).

JayByrd wrote:Not the first time a person or persons has done this. It's can be hard to recover from, and impossible to know how many potential customers read it and took it to heart.

This could be done just as easily on Yelp or TripAdvisor though...it's the evil side of people, not of Facebook.

In the good ol' days this could have been done by word of mouth, over phone conversations. It might spread faster nowadays with something like Facebook, but so can the fix travel faster, i.e. store owner going public and defending his business and pointing out how this mean spirited event occurred. Hopefully in the end the public will support them again and show their faith in the establishment.
Jflem1983
Guru

Post by Jflem1983 »

Probably disgruntled employees
Now they want to take our guns away . That would be just fine. Take em away from the criminals first . Ill gladly give u mine. "Charlie Daniels"

You have got to stand for something . Or you will fall for anything "Aaron Tippin"
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Agreed. Or friends of a fired or unhappy employee.

Here is another evil of facebook, which I am experiencing first hand today.

A person took exception to my description of a road and began an argument with me about it.
They are wrong.
And they posted photos supporting their "claim." Again, disingenious and misleading.
Why is this important?
Because they could lead people to believe that the road is not as dangerous as it in fact is. Creating a dangerous sense of confidence in people without a suitable vehicle/tires for the mountain road in question.

Yes, the road becomes very steep, narrow and rocky, with a view of the Coq exactly where I say it does because I've in fact driven it. And photographed it myself.

But no, this person persists in making a false claim.

Then others come on and say they take the road, "no problem." Yes buddy, because you have the correct respect for what you are getting into, the right vehicle/tires and have pre-knowledge. The lady asking about the road expressed a fear of high mountain roads and I would not lie to her. It becomes high, narrow and rocky, with a steep slope on one side. If anyone here as driven into Brookmere, BC from the BACK and not just from the Coquihalla, you know what I'm talking about.

Facebook, a good place to spread disinformation to hundreds of people.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Not facebook the problem tho. Neg reviews can be left via Google.
Arguments and false info - lots of community boards.
A toenail in the soup was creative. Reminds me of that meme about an office cake, who brought it wrote
" find the toenail"
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Was everyone sick of getting profiled and having ads pop up on their facebook newsfeed?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42657621

FB is trying to increase the quality of time thus increase the time spent there.
By decreasing unwanted ads.
Finally.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

I've never done facebook and never will. The whole thing creeps me out to be honest.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

j watson wrote:I've never done facebook and never will. The whole thing creeps me out to be honest.

I reluctantly joined for a while under pressure from friends three years ago. Then, when reports started appearing of the security breaches, targeted ads and the other horrid things happening via fb I cut the cord pronto 2 years back.

I figure my real friends are still able to write emails or pick up the phone.

Wouldn't you know it? Now half of them dropped fb and suspect more will do so. I have smart friends. :biggrin:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I haven't experienced any security breach thru using facebook. I have had ads pop up that don't even remotely fit my profile, so I think they are lying about sending ads that might be of interest to the receiver. But I have found items that I probably would not have found, and learned some skills that I would not have learned as well on facebook. Support/advice groups for parents of children or pets with special needs or health problems can be very valuable. Sometimes health and legal advice (once you weed out those trying to peddle some "health" supplement, can be invaluable. Yes, you have to be a little bit careful with your personal information just as you would anywhere on the web.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I have photos with "no where to go" unless I join an appropiate and appreciative facebook group.

For example, PNW Photography is a general group for those with Pacific Northwest photos that are suitable to publish. So I publish there.

But then there is a smaller area which is more specific, abandoned buildings and areas which are cool to see and we really hope they'll be there forever, but won't be. So I requested to be allowed in to the group. One I don't know if I will be but other I'm in!

The new "thing" that admins have started is asking "why do you want in the group" to avoid bots and spammers. That is a plus.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I’ve had to temporarily open up aspects of my profile for one group approval; although it was for a sensitive medical group where wing-nuts pose risk.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Catsumi wrote:
j watson wrote:I've never done facebook and never will. The whole thing creeps me out to be honest.

I reluctantly joined for a while under pressure from friends three years ago. Then, when reports started appearing of the security breaches, targeted ads and the other horrid things happening via fb I cut the cord pronto 2 years back.

I figure my real friends are still able to write emails or pick up the phone.

Wouldn't you know it? Now half of them dropped fb and suspect more will do so. I have smart friends. :biggrin:

Ummmmm.....hate to burst your bubble but they just blocked you and upped their privacy settings. :135:
You and 71 others Like this post
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

^^^^ ha ha. You are probably right! [icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I love all the facebook bird sites.
Triple 6

Post by Triple 6 »

Not always a happy reunion
Contributed - Jan 17, 2018 / 3:00 pm | Story: 216401
On my adopted daughters 19th birthday a post appeared on Facebook containing her picture along with all my daughters personal information that was available in an attempt to get her last name and address.

This post was authored by my daughters birth mother. I can announce that the post was a success as the information requested was obtained many times over. I know the people who responded to the post meant well, thought they were helping a mother out by supplying contact information.

However if you think about it, there is a reason why someone is available for adoption in the first place and there is a reason why the adoption is closed (as stated in the post). We had reasons why we didn't want members of our daughters birth family showing up at our door.

This whole event has been deeply upsetting to our family and we aren't the only ones that this could happen to. Keep in mind when someone puts out a post looking for someone, as appealing as they might sound, it may not be a happy reunion.
"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -- Josh Billings
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Boundaries, people, boundaries. I'm sad for this family. Children seeking their natural parents can also do this, and it's awkward as hell. Some memories are painful.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Social Concerns”