Prof put on restrictions

featfan
Guru

Re: Prof put on restrictions

Post by featfan »

psychprof wrote:One incident in particular stands out. He invited his harem to his house for a party and grabbed a student’s breast - witnessed by several others. At an informal (read secret hush hush) hearing at UBCO he was found to be “too drunk to form intent.”

Why the Hell were they at a party at his house in the first place.
Do they not have any brains?

Self answering question.
Ramunn
Fledgling

Post by Ramunn »

He is my daughters Prof and she says its her one class she looks most forward to. She says she's never felt threatened or uncomfortable around him but she has told me things are happening between students and teachers all the time. These are all adults we're talking about and the age gap is not like High school that being said I hate to think A Professor would use his power over students for sex if this is true. http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRat ... id=1241777
whattaday

Post by whattaday »

As a millennial who vaguely posts on here - I'd like to say, that those who take stabs at my generation and base it off of those who happen to get attention online by making a video, really aren't bothering to comprehend the fact that the millennials you rarely get to see or hear about, are actually working their arses off, managing employees older than them (or rather, your age), and avoiding the staggering debt that has come to symbolize the older generation (i.e., you).

*bleep* and complain all you want, because we truly cannot be bothered to try and understand the envy you must feel for aging out in such a technologically advanced society that will accomplish so much more than your generation can even try to begin to imagine.
cool story, bro
techrtr
Übergod

Post by techrtr »

I can think of more than one high profile public figure/university prof who had a reputation for hitting on or having illicit relations with students. Universities would be awesome places for sleazebags to get easy access to their prey.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

whattaday wrote:As a millennial who vaguely posts on here - I'd like to say, that those who take stabs at my generation and base it off of those who happen to get attention online by making a video, really aren't bothering to comprehend the fact that the millennials you rarely get to see or hear about, are actually working their arses off, managing employees older than them (or rather, your age), and avoiding the staggering debt that has come to symbolize the older generation (i.e., you).

*bleep* and complain all you want, because we truly cannot be bothered to try and understand the envy you must feel for aging out in such a technologically advanced society that will accomplish so much more than your generation can even try to begin to imagine.

Is there an app for that?
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
krill64

Post by krill64 »

Old Techie wrote:
Brenky wrote:I'm a millennial. It's incredibly insulting that a single video on YouTube about my demographic is eliciting the responses above.

There are airheads, idiots, and losers in every generation. Generalizing and assuming that one group of people is "worse" than another is good for no one.

Unfortunately there's a lot more evidence than "a single video on YouTube" to support concern.

It's simply a matter of time, before every employer demands that electronic devices be checked at the door, before every work shift.

Eh... there are a lot of unproven opinion pieces all around different online publications regarding millenials, as well as videos like this one. However, as far as I am aware there is zero support from anything else that is actually factual. The only supported fact is that millenials are being paid less in proportion to what prior generation earned for similar qualifications.

This idea that 'newfangled technology' is ruining the next generation has persisted for centuries. There were people a hundred+ years ago getting frustrated as student were getting spoiled ' by paper' , shouldn't get used to it and no longer have a proper "Slate and Chalk technique" .

psychprof wrote:Being in the same profession I do have some insider knowledge. We were all told to keep it hush hush as UBCO was scared of the bad rep. Now that it is finally out there we are allowed to express our dismay. He used his position of power to intimidate his female students into having sex. All of the students in his lab were women of course and the deal was if you slept with him you would get lots of publications which translates into success in academia. One incident in particular stands out. He invited his harem to his house for a party and grabbed a student’s breast - witnessed by several others. At an informal (read secret hush hush) hearing at UBCO he was found to be “too drunk to form intent.” Why aren’t these women pressing charges, you ask? This would be career suicide. Academia is an old boys’ club.

This essentially, to mess with an older prof is career suicide in the most basic scale. Academia is all about, publications, connections, and reputation. You lose that and you void your chance at a career. If you get an older prof mad at you, all it takes is a bit of effort -'that person plagiarized/isn't a hard worker/is difficult to work with " and your academic aspirations can be crushed. Porter crossed multiple lines for sure, and deserves to be punished for what he did. Besides that he has a demonstrated pattern of behavior that supports any and all claims.
featfan wrote:
psychprof wrote:One incident in particular stands out. He invited his harem to his house for a party and grabbed a student’s breast - witnessed by several others. At an informal (read secret hush hush) hearing at UBCO he was found to be “too drunk to form intent.”

Why the Hell were they at a party at his house in the first place.
Do they not have any brains?

Self answering question.

Why were they at a party at his house? Easy, that is a common thing for professors who are heads of research labs to do after a semester is to get together have a party/ hang out. It happens at bars, restaurants and yes peoples houses. Also this wasn't Porter's house but a students. The idea of the party is perfectly within the norm, the only abnormal things were Porter's actions.
Ramunn wrote:He is my daughters Prof and she says its her one class she looks most forward to. She says she's never felt threatened or uncomfortable around him but she has told me things are happening between students and teachers all the time. These are all adults we're talking about and the age gap is not like High school that being said I hate to think A Professor would use his power over students for sex if this is true. http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRat ... id=1241777

Essentially this, Porter is very personable in person, but from what I gather around other guys and behind closed doors that changes. I have a buddy who was at the same gym as him and Porter goes , not to work out but to very obviously perv. on girls working out. While everybody is adults this taps into the same issues we find elsewhere in the world where a boss uses their authority to force a subordinate into sexual acts. This is something in the exact same vein as the recent publicized dismissals of individuals like Bill O'Reilly getting kicked out by Fox News for his sexual harassment/assault charges. If both participants are completely willing (both professor and student) it is 'iffy' and looked down upon as the power differential is always in play.
techrtr wrote:I can think of more than one high profile public figure/university prof who had a reputation for hitting on or having illicit relations with students. Universities would be awesome places for sleazebags to get easy access to their prey.

This is true, there is a reason that certain stereotypes have persisted in academia.

Regardless of anything else, I am glad that Porter is getting his comeuppance and that this issues is not being swept under the rug.
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

Temet Nosce wrote:I am rather surprised that you would post any "insider knowledge" at any point on a public forum.

Why? What are you trying to say?
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

whattaday wrote:As a millennial who vaguely posts on here - I'd like to say, that those who take stabs at my generation and base it off of those who happen to get attention online by making a video, really aren't bothering to comprehend the fact that the millennials you rarely get to see or hear about, are actually working their arses off, managing employees older than them (or rather, your age), and avoiding the staggering debt that has come to symbolize the older generation (i.e., you).

I can't post the link for another news source will be deleted so here's a snippet below (google "Every Every Every Generation Has Been the Me Me Me Generation" The Atlantic.com). A very good and brief review IMO with interesting media depictions of each generation. So wouldn't waste too much energy...every generation bashes the next, media perpetuates it, but most of us know different.

Millennials are the "ME ME ME GENERATION," writes Joel Stein for the cover of Time magazine, which is apparently a marked departure from the Baby Boomers, who were the plain old "Me Generation" (one me, no caps) and who created the "Me Decade" in the 1970s, and who coined the phrase, "But enough about me… what do you think about me?" in the 1980s when they were raising the next narcissists, Generation X. Sometimes you get the sense that these magazines' cultural writers have very little experience with the entire American culture, and prefer to make their grand analyses based on what people they know in the gentrified parts of cities like New York and Los Angeles were talking about at brunch last weekend.

And a good study conducted in response to such media...

"This leads to the obvious conclusion that finding young people to be narcissistic is an aging phenomenon, not a historical phenomenon. The fact that one can find complaints about the younger generation being more narcissistic going back to Hesiod helps make the point that every generation is Generation Me. That is, until they grow up."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3020091/
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

khutchi wrote:
Temet Nosce wrote:I am rather surprised that you would post any "insider knowledge" at any point on a public forum.

Why? What are you trying to say?

I am rather surprised that OP would post any "insider knowledge" at any point on a public forum. Does that clarify it?
Edit to post:
Sorry I shouldn’t be so cranky—worked very late little sleep. My comments stem from some assumptions based on the OP’s posts (“employed in the same field”) and CN alias (“psychprof”). For me, if in fact the OP is in the field, legitimately has “insider information”, and is also a “psychprof”, my comments have everything to do with professional boundaries and disclosure of “insider information”. Personally, I would be very cautious about what one posts publicly in this information age and hopefully 100% accurate or one could find themselves being accused of libel… just IMHO.

And BTW...I don't care who you sleep with, anyone in academia knows you don't "just get lots of publications" lmao.
Zippy6872

Post by Zippy6872 »

Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

I know many actual professors from multiple disciplines, and if I was a "bettin' woman", I would bet all Forum's bitcoins that not one of them would post insider information 'or gossip' about any other professor (sleezebag or not) on public forums.....
:bethecoffee:
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Are you saying someone could, for example, make up a glaringly obvious username to imply insider knowledge, and then say whatever they want to further their aim or agenda, whatever that may be......maybe even just for fun or perhaps for darker reasons?

Noooooo. :biggrin:
You and 71 others Like this post
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

LANDM wrote:Are you saying someone could, for example, make up a glaringly obvious username to imply insider knowledge, and then say whatever they want to further their aim or agenda, whatever that may be......maybe even just for fun or perhaps for darker reasons?

Noooooo. :biggrin:

lol....I know I know but I couldn't help but state the obvious.... :admin:

eta ...but come on you have to admit the Forum bitcoin joke was pretty good :smt045
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

^^^ well darlin you lost me. You know Profs ( yawn) You trivialize what some women experience daily ( yawning again) It is this false backlash against METOO pisses me off. Anita Hall was fried over 25 years ago
If this thread bores you so very much you hear crickets
door over here --------->
but the betting bitcoins, props on that line
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second

Return to “Central Okanagan”