What they don't want you to know- how I escaped materialism

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

What they don't want you to know- how I escaped materialism

Post by Thinktank »

I am going to tell you how I quit the rat race and escaped the cult of materialism. they don't
want you to know this.

Here's what I did. I went out and bought everything I needed, and then quit buying stuff. I ordered
from Amazon. I bought stuff in USA. I looked for sales. Now I am free from the cult of materialism.
I don't need anything else.

You can too.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: What they don't want you to know- how I escaped material

Post by LTD »

hopefully your computer quits working soon and you don't feel the need to replace that materialistic thing you've freed yourself from
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:I am going to tell you how I quit the rat race and escaped the cult of materialism. they don't
want you to know this.

Here's what I did. I went out and bought everything I needed, and then quit buying stuff. I ordered
from Amazon. I bought stuff in USA. I looked for sales. Now I am free from the cult of materialism.

You can too.
You're still going to run out of toilet paper sometime....(is "they" the new royal "we"?)
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Thinktank wrote:
Here's what I did. I went out and bought everything I needed, and then quit buying stuff.

So you bought everything you needed then stopped and now figure you don't need anything more?

Yup that works...here's your sign!
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Here's an idea on how long that will last and I'm sure we can all vouch that the story probably has some truth to it. I was talking to a person who has been a private business owner for many years about replacing products. He said when he was taking business in college in the time 1958 to 1960 a student asked the professor about something that happened at a manufacturing company he had worked for in California. GE came to the company and asked them to design elements for a toaster that would last approximately 30 months before they failed. GE said they said they could make a toaster that would basically last forever but that was not good for business. They wanted to put a warranty of 24 months on the toaster and have it fail shortly after creating the need for a new one without them paying for it. They also warned that if that company wouldn't do it they would find someone that would.

I remember when we got married in 1965 that we got appliances that lasted us for decades and that was normal. Not any more. We just bought a new electric stove and even the dealer told us not to expect more than about 8 to 10 years out of it. I remember stoves and fridges lasting 20 plus years. In fact you expected it. It seems that today everything has a built in short life expectancy. Does anyone think we have gotten that much worse at manufacturing products or is it deliberate built in life expectancy.

So Thinktank do you think you are better than everyone else because you do all your buying in one mad spree instead of over a period of time. Are you actually trying to say you are never going to buy some new product or replace things for the rest of your life LOL. You have come up with some good ones but this one has to be near the top. IF you are saying you will keep everything till it is worn out and not just replace it with the newer better model or because it is out of style, then good on you I agree. The "keeping up with the Jones's" has gone away too far.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Thinktank will run out of WackyWeed at some point, but will find out his bicycle has rusted so badly he can not longer ride on the flat tires to go get some more. And then he will die.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Smurf wrote:Here's an idea....... GE said they said they could make a toaster that would basically last forever but that was not good for business. They wanted to put a warranty of 24 months on the toaster and have it fail shortly after creating the need for a new one without them paying for it. They also warned that if that company wouldn't do it they would find someone that would.

I remember when we got married in 1965 that we got appliances that lasted us for decades and that was normal. Not any more. We just bought a new electric stove and even the dealer told us not to expect more than about 8 to 10 years out of it. I remember stoves and fridges lasting 20 plus years. In fact you expected it. It seems that today everything has a built in short life expectancy. Does anyone think we have gotten that much worse at manufacturing products or is it deliberate built in life expectancy.

This is very true. We had a few very old appliances that took forever to die. Not so nowadays. Ask your plumber how long water tanks will last nowadays, compared to the good ol' days. And now they are putting in plastic plumbing, designed to fail and flood your bathroom within 25 years. I wonder what Thinktank is going to do when that fails? use a bucket?
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

What if there's a hole in the bucket?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

There is a trend of the buy nothing Year.

http://www.oneemptyshelf.com/year-of-buying-nothing-2/

I do my best not to give into materialism, more so not keeping up with the Jones.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank wrote:Here's what I did. I went out and bought everything I needed, and then quit buying stuff. I ordered
What kind of stuff did you buy? It all has to be put into perspective.
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

So you escaped materialism buy binge buying? OK :up:
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Tinfoil, blinders and earplugs?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

Silverstarqueen wrote:
This is very true. We had a few very old appliances that took forever to die. Not so nowadays. Ask your plumber how long water tanks will last nowadays, compared to the good ol' days. And now they are putting in plastic plumbing, designed to fail and flood your bathroom within 25 years. I wonder what Thinktank is going to do when that fails? use a bucket?

While I agree that things don't last these days, my repeatedly leaking copper plumbing is decidedly not failsafe either.

Also OP, you escaped materialism by buying things? Well done.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Fancy wrote:
Thinktank wrote:Here's what I did. I went out and bought everything I needed, and then quit buying stuff. I ordered
What kind of stuff did you buy? It all has to be put into perspective.

He bought 10,000 dolls that he had custom made to look like his uncle and a huge box of pins. Should last a lifetime....... :admin:
You and 71 others Like this post
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Thinktank is browsing here now - I'm waiting with anticipation of what he bought.

Return to “Social Concerns”