What they don't want you to know- how I escaped materialism

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Thinktank
Walks on Forum Water

Re: What they don't want you to know- how I escaped material

Post by Thinktank »

Bsuds wrote:
So you bought everything you needed then stopped..

:smt045 --- the key word is "needed."

I know people who are in the rat race because they just could not cure themselves of buying stuff they think
they want. That's materialism. I needed a 19" Samsung TV ten years ago. So I payed $189 for it. I know
people who wanted a 40" Sony TV for $2,000. They also wanted thirty years of cable TV for a total price of $21,000?

People want a lot of stuff. It's a bad sickness. It's materialism. And that's why so many people are in a rat race.

^ Rat Race - what I imagine Castanetters to look like.

I'm quitting the rat race all right. As soon as possible.

WHEN WILL WESTERN WAR PIGS WIND THIS UKRAINIAN GENOCIDE DOWN?????????????

"Fisman's Fraud" - most important Canadian book of 2024. covid fear tactics of fraudulent scientist David Fisman - misinformation distributed by U of Toronto researchers.
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

I was browsing netflix and saw a documentary (still need to watch it) It's basically the idea that companies design their products to fail after a short period of time, Which i can see happening. That's why i hate commercials, look at all of the great stuff i can't afford. I like having toys as much as the next person but eh nut gonna keep up with the jonses anytime soon.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Gilchy wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote: And now they are putting in plastic plumbing,...?

While I agree that things don't last these days, my repeatedly leaking copper plumbing is decidedly not failsafe either.

I'll take plastic piping over copper any day.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Maybe TT will become like this guy ( who had to steal from others, so I guess stealing isn't being part of the rat race :/
I worship at the altar of materialism. Anyone casting off their wordly goods cast them my way.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Ka-El wrote:I'll take plastic piping over copper any day.

All you need to fix plastic yourself is a crimping tool which you can pick up on sale for $50 or less.
A plumber charges $100+ just to show up.

I really like TT's idea and I ran it past the Beastwife.

I told her I was going out to buy everything I want.

I should get out of the ICU next week. :200:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

I couldn't justify paying 2k for a tv it was bad enough paying 700 for my tv and now you can get ones for around the same price but with more features. I want to get a better computer, but my 10 year old computer still runs good enough besides the power supply crapping out on it a couple months ago :D

Basically if it ain't broke why fix it?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Ya, I'm guilty. Sports car, golf clubs, club membership, 65" smart TV - I guess I can stop buying stuff now.

:spitcoffee: :laugh: right

Seriously though, other than the necessities listed above, we do have way too much stuff and need to get rid of most all of it before we leave the country. We are working towards minimalism, but some things still provide a lot of enjoyment.
SuperMom
Board Meister

Post by SuperMom »

I hate shopping. I do enjoy my things as much as anyone else, but I am not a very good little materialistic consumer. I have never understood how shopping has become a hobby for some people. Bored? Go shopping. Change of seasons? Go shopping. Holiday? Go shopping. Going on vacation? Need new clothes! That's not how I grew up, and it isn't how I live now.

I have been purging and organizing over the past couple of weeks and have at least 8 boxes of stuff to donate, not to mention all the stuff that's been thrown away or recycled. A lot of the donation material is stuff that has been collecting dust unused or unworn. Even for a family that doesn't spend a lot of time or money on shopping, we accumulate more than we need. Obviously it is difficult to avoid buying things completely. We don't have a farm or green thumbs, so we need to buy groceries. However, I won't ever be the one wearing the latest fashions with a pair of shoes to match each outfit. I've never owned a brand new vehicle. Some of my smaller kitchen appliances are 25 years old and still perfectly functional. My hair dryer is 30 years old. If I need to buy something, I will put some thought into my decision; however, I am not looking to find fulfillment in life from the things I own.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

I've got a lot of hand-me-downs myself from furniture to clothing and it's amazing how much stuff one accumulates. What's great about getting older is the effort to downsize and passing on some stuff to the kids. If I'm fed up with dusting a trinket then I don't want it anymore and someone else can enjoy it. Purging closets is a great way to solve boredom.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Fancy wrote:What's great about getting older is the effort to downsize and passing on some stuff to the kids.

Except the ungrateful little buggers usually don't want it!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

lol - yea it depends on what it is. They have actually surprised me as to what they've taken. I send pictures for a yes or no and what they don't want goes to Value Village or some other outfit that will take the stuff. No second thoughts or chances.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Simply can't relate to " hate shopping"
I agree Sudsy, kids want brand new not a seafoam green loveseat
I am happy to shop for anyone who dislikes it
I was born to shop
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Sea foam green? I didn't like it when that was the in colour. And no flower anything either. I'm refusing to turn into my grandmas. Which is why I like my kids around for important purchases - they know they will likely get whatever eventually lol. Saves the fighting later who has to take a dump run hopefully.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

good plan Fancy. Everyone in their 20s I know owns brans new, shunning parents castaways. I remember being so broke you took damn near anything offered.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

normaM wrote: I remember being so broke you took damn near anything offered.

And some that wasn't! :D

Return to “Social Concerns”