BC Liberals dogged by past crimes

Cactusflower
Banned

BC Liberals dogged by past crimes

Post by Cactusflower »

http://vancouversun.com/pmn/news-pmn/ca ... ebe6d1b359

This is just the tip of the iceberg. More to come.
seewood
Guru

Re: BC Liberals dogged by past crimes

Post by seewood »

Wonder if he'll get two years house arrest and a criminal record, much like the late Dave Stupich did from the "Bingo-Gate" debacle
I am not wealthy but I am rich
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 17th, 2018, 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

How would people feel if political parties that broke the law, in office or during a campaign received a penalty handy cap going into the next election. It sounds kind of crazy making I agree but the current system of slapping them on the wrists and letting them basically get away with cheat to win is also crazy. Giving them basically a weighted penalty to the votes they receive would in my opinion go a long way towards providing actual disincentives to breaking our political laws.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:How would people feel if political parties that broke the law, in office or during a campaign received a penalty handy cap going into the next election. It sounds kind of crazy making I agree but the current system of slapping them on the wrists and letting them basically get away with cheat to win is also crazy. Giving them basically a weighted penalty to the votes they receive would in my opinion go a long way towards providing actual disincentives to breaking our political laws.

As long as it keeps the NDP out of power, I'm in favor of it.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Cactusflower wrote:http://vancouversun.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/prosecutor-wants-community-sentence-in-british-columbia-breach-of-trust-case/wcm/ce96980e-6dda-4f45-a654-4eebe6d1b359

Just an accusation, nothing proven, and no judgement made in a court of law. The "facts" of the case will not be heard, and he will probably get 100-200 hours of community service work to be served over 5 years. After all, this is the worst of his supposided crime.
Special prosecutor David Butcher told a sentencing hearing Tuesday that Bonney provided confidential information to seven people he supervised as they worked to gain support from ethnic communities ahead of the election.

Sometimes it is just better to take one to the cheek and carry on with life. It's better than creating a big scene, having your name and reputation dragged through the mud for years of trials and the associated legal costs. That way also eliminates the pressure brought upon the court to satisfy the blood thirst of the public.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

alanjh595 wrote:
Cactusflower wrote:http://vancouversun.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/prosecutor-wants-community-sentence-in-british-columbia-breach-of-trust-case/wcm/ce96980e-6dda-4f45-a654-4eebe6d1b359

Just an accusation, nothing proven, and no judgement made in a court of law. The "facts" of the case will not be heard, and he will probably get 100-200 hours of community service work to be served over 5 years. After all, this is the worst of his supposided crime.
Special prosecutor David Butcher told a sentencing hearing Tuesday that Bonney provided confidential information to seven people he supervised as they worked to gain support from ethnic communities ahead of the election.

Sometimes it is just better to take one to the cheek and carry on with life. It's better than creating a big scene, having your name and reputation dragged through the mud for years of trials and the associated legal costs. That way also eliminates the pressure brought upon the court to satisfy the blood thirst of the public.

He pleaded guilty to the crime. That doesn't automatically give him a free pass to do it again.......or at least it shouldn't. Also, part of the above article mentions that John Yap was involved in the crime as well and all that happened to him was that he lost his ministerial post. He's still a BC Liberal MLA. I wonder what kind of people re-elected that crook?
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

The Green Barbarian wrote:
MrBrocksEgo wrote:How would people feel if political parties that broke the law, in office or during a campaign received a penalty handy cap going into the next election. It sounds kind of crazy making I agree but the current system of slapping them on the wrists and letting them basically get away with cheat to win is also crazy. Giving them basically a weighted penalty to the votes they receive would in my opinion go a long way towards providing actual disincentives to breaking our political laws.

As long as it keeps the NDP out of power, I'm in favor of it.

You so aggressively biased.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:Also, part of the above article mentions that John Yap was involved in the crime as well and all that happened to him was that he lost his ministerial post. He's still a BC Liberal MLA. I wonder what kind of people re-elected that crook?
John Yap was NOT charged with any crime but since it was his ministry involved the premier asked him to step aside. Which he did. You shouldn't use the word "crime" so carelessly.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:
    Cactusflower wrote:Also, part of the above article mentions that John Yap was involved in the crime as well and all that happened to him was that he lost his ministerial post. He's still a BC Liberal MLA. I wonder what kind of people re-elected that crook?
John Yap was NOT charged with any crime but since it was his ministry involved the premier asked him to step aside. Which he did. You shouldn't use the word "crime" so carelessly.

Breach of trust is indeed a crime, Urb. And I did not say that Yap was charged with the crime; I said he was involved in it, just as the Canadian Press reported.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:
    Breach of trust is indeed a crime, Urb. And I did not say that Yap was charged with the crime; I said he was involved in it, just as the Canadian Press reported.
Yes, breach of trust is a crime and that's the crime to which Bonney pleaded guilty. John Yap was not charged with breach of trust. If he had been "involved in the crime" I'm sure that he would have been charged. You shouldn't make things up.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

But Urbane if they didn't make things up they wouldn't have anything to post.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:
    Cactusflower wrote:
Yes, breach of trust is a crime and that's the crime to which Bonney pleaded guilty. John Yap was not charged with breach of trust. If he had been "involved in the crime" I'm sure that he would have been charged. You shouldn't make things up.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-c ... -1.1341896
Read the fifth paragraph and then tell me Yap and the others weren't involved.
Urbane
Buddha of the Board

Post by Urbane »

Cactusflower wrote:Read the fifth paragraph and then tell me Yap and the others weren't involved.
Yap was not involved in any crime and was not charged with any crime.
Cactusflower
Banned

Post by Cactusflower »

Urbane wrote:
    Cactusflower wrote:Read the fifth paragraph and then tell me Yap and the others weren't involved.
Yap was not involved in any crime and was not charged with any crime.

You are extreme denial, Urb. I can provide many more links to this scandal if you really want me to. Yap, Kim, Christy, and the others were just lucky that Bonney took the fall for the rest of them.

Return to “B.C.”