Cities Book Club?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
khutchi
Fledgling

Cities Book Club?

Post by khutchi »

I used to be in a monthly book club meet-up in Vancouver when i was studying community planning. We used to read a book on general urban planning, community, or city life ideas. Then we would come together to discuss it and how it potentially related to Vancouver. Never was spectacular and was more or less an excuse to not study...we certainly never did anything with the information except learn about Vancouver.

When I moved to Kelowna, well, no more book club. But I've been to some public hearings and there does appear to be people out there with an eyebrow-raising level of interest in urban planning. Same with Castanet Forums. I'm pretty surprised how many of the threads are development related. There are even organized movements of people concerned with issues of foreshore access or monster properties in mission. This is all city planning!

The problem is there are not many places for average joe citizens to meet up, talk, organize, and learn about our city from one another. Only seems to take place in, somewhat elitist, UDI luncheons or $500/seat conferences.

So question for you internet: How much interest do you think there is in Kelowna for a book club focused on urban planning and how it relates to city issues in Kelowna?
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Cities Book Club?

Post by Grandan »

khutchi wrote:I used to be in a monthly book club meet-up in Vancouver when i was studying community planning. We used to read a book on general urban planning, community, or city life ideas. Then we would come together to discuss it and how it potentially related to Vancouver. Never was spectacular and was more or less an excuse to not study...we certainly never did anything with the information except learn about Vancouver.

When I moved to Kelowna, well, no more book club. But I've been to some public hearings and there does appear to be people out there with an eyebrow-raising level of interest in urban planning. Same with Castanet Forums. I'm pretty surprised how many of the threads are development related. There are even organized movements of people concerned with issues of foreshore access or monster properties in mission. This is all city planning!

The problem is there are not many places for average joe citizens to meet up, talk, organize, and learn about our city from one another. Only seems to take place in, somewhat elitist, UDI luncheons or $500/seat conferences.

So question for you internet: How much interest do you think there is in Kelowna for a book club focused on urban planning and how it relates to city issues in Kelowna?

I would be curious as to where you would be sourcing the literature used in a local book club?
There have been many studies of the natural environment of Kelowna such as Drainage, Natural Environment, Transportation and housing. I have read quite a bit of these studies over the years to help understand where Kelowna is headed.
When working with community groups, the objectives of the members and the interests of individual members is quite diverse. As a consequence there is quite often no consensus on objectives or interests of the groups.
Waste not
khutchi
Fledgling

Post by khutchi »

Grandan wrote: I would be curious as to where you would be sourcing the literature used in a local book club?
There have been many studies of the natural environment of Kelowna such as Drainage, Natural Environment, Transportation and housing. I have read quite a bit of these studies over the years to help understand where Kelowna is headed.

Hmmm.. yes I wasn't really thinking reports or studies so much as more fun casual reads. I've read them (Housing Needs assessment, Second Bridge Crossing etc.) but I feel they are quite technical for a book club.

I was thinking more casual books like:

1. Happy city (Charles Montegomry)
2. Walkable city (Jeff Speck)
3. StreetFight (Janette Sadik Kahn)
4. The Works: Anatomy of a City (Kate Ascher)
5. The New Urban Crisis (Richard Florida)

Basically any book you could find in the community & Culture Section of your local Chapters.

Grandan wrote: When working with community groups, the objectives of the members and the interests of individual members is quite diverse. As a consequence there is quite often no consensus on objectives or interests of the groups.

Right. Back in my book club we didn't have any objectives other than talking about how much we did or didn't like the book. Diversity of interest would probably be the biggest obstacle but as long as it has to do with some overarching topic there should be a few people in Kelowna that will always be interested.

The main reason I had the idea is that I looked at the book clubs we have in Kelowna a couple weeks back the selection is pretty paltry. A Quick google search shows: Self Devlopment Book Club, Jordan Peterson Book Club, and the Kelowna Book Club Meetup (whose next book for Mar 17 is "Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal") [icon_lol2.gif]

I know Kelowna can do better than that!
"History is like a slingshot... the more you go back, the further you'll go."
MalaPropina
Board Meister

Post by MalaPropina »

Not to sound...ummm...snarky, but why don't you start one? :D

Sounds like you have a pretty clear idea of what kind of group and topics you are looking for. Today, with social media it's not hard to put the word out. Many coffee shops or pubs etc. are open to hosting a regular group as long as you choose a day and time where they aren't too busy.

Just a thought :biggrin:

Return to “Social Concerns”