Prof put on restrictions

monroe
Übergod

Re: Prof put on restrictions

Post by monroe »

TreeGuy wrote:I read the news story. I’m not reading all the pages on this thread.

I saw his picture, he’s a good looking Bloke.

Sounds to me like a few girls really fell for him, got overly involved with him and now want to take out his career.

Maybe this guy should have put the brakes on this right at the start, but they were all adults.

Great video, sir.
" ... Kind of weird but hey, weird is normal on castanet " - LANDM
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Don't know much about the entire story but have read some of the comments on here... I guess at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if students threw themselves at this man. If they engaged in reciprocal conversation with him, he is the individual who should have known where the boundaries are supposed to be.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

perspicacious wrote:Don't know much about the entire story but have read some of the comments on here... I guess at the end of the day, it doesn't matter if students threw themselves at this man. If they engaged in reciprocal conversation with him, he is the individual who should have known where the boundaries are supposed to be.

Actually, they are all adults and all should know where the boundaries are. More so him because, strangely enough, I think that specific topic is where his professional expertise lies. But nevertheless, all will know the boundaries.

Whether he overstepped them or not is what needs to be decided. And then, whether it was some sort of assault or against professional and academic conduct rules is the next decision.

Unfortunately, the current standards, since Weinstein, are that an accusation is enough to ruin a person so that blurs the guilty/non-guilty decisions in addition to guilt according to the severity of an incident.

It will be interesting to see how we proceed societally in these matters. There is much at stake for all sides.
You and 71 others Like this post
perspicacious
Board Meister

Post by perspicacious »

Agreed, however the maturity level of a 20 something can be much different than a 30 something.... At least one would hope. In addition age unfortunately does open one up to vulnerabilities of the world and intentions especially if they've never been exposed to an individual taking advantage of a situation.
Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Temet Nosce
One of the smartest posting,, I like you gurl
I do
we can bond over lattes and waxing ( joke I HATE LAttes)
pls don't leave, I can be mmm, but testy when it comes to hot topics
but your posts are smart, sharp and you take no *bleep*
like that in a person
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Temet Nosce
Board Meister

Post by Temet Nosce »

normaM wrote:Temet Nosce
One of the smartest posting,, I like you gurl
I do
we can bond over lattes and waxing ( joke I HATE LAttes)
pls don't leave, I can be mmm, but testy when it comes to hot topics
but your posts are smart, sharp and you take no *bleep*
like that in a person

Awww..thxs normaM--such a nice post at the end of a very long day :130:
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

:popcorn:

:runforlife:

:147:
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Brenky wrote:I'm a millennial. It's incredibly insulting that a single video on YouTube about my demographic is eliciting the responses above.

There are airheads, idiots, and losers in every generation. Generalizing and assuming that one group of people is "worse" than another is good for no one.

This is true idiots come from all eras of human existence however at no point in human history has one generation been so incredibly clueless as to how the real world works. For example all these were created by Millennials:

"Safe Spaces", denouncing basic biology, 30+ made up gender pronouns, ANTIFA "Anti Fascist protesters promoting Communism, People self identifying with animals/objects/fictional characters, Openly denouncing freedom of speech to people that disagree, etc.

The world in which we all live in is not and will never be a Safe Space. Just ask the roughly 100 million people that died during WW1/2.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

:up: and then some
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Amusing how old gens dislike and fault new gens
Millennials - they work, dream. hope like everyone else. It's those damn sweatpantsandsuspendersnials I blame
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
plato

Post by plato »

the truth wrote:
psychprof wrote:Being in the same profession I do have some insider knowledge. We were all told to keep it hush hush as UBCO was scared of the bad rep. Now that it is finally out there we are allowed to express our dismay. He used his position of power to intimidate his female students into having sex. All of the students in his lab were women of course and the deal was if you slept with him you would get lots of publications which translates into success in academia. One incident in particular stands out. He invited his harem to his house for a party and grabbed a student’s breast - witnessed by several others. At an informal (read secret hush hush) hearing at UBCO he was found to be “too drunk to form intent.” Why aren’t these women pressing charges, you ask? This would be career suicide. Academia is an old boys’ club.

from what i was told this has been going on a few years now, correct me if i am wrong

Not living in the area anymore (after 4+ decades of living there), this is the first I'm hearing of this story. I also know many of the people in that department and have insider knowledge. I will say:
1.I don't know if these specific allegations are true
2.they don't surprise me to the least
3.yes....Porter generally has an all-female, attractive lab.
4.he is inappropriately unprofessional with them (in my opinion)
5.he is socially odd
6.he isn't the only one - to your point, there is for example another prof from that same department who has had multiple complaints spanning many years (edit: some are absolutely true - I know this, and some were formal complaints)....though as far as I'm aware he has finally curtailed it to some degree after years of highly questionable behavior

Yes...the power discrepancy between a student and prof (even a grad student - let alone an undergrad) is enormous, and in the highly incestuous field of academia it lends itself to abuse.

Return to “Central Okanagan”