Inmates are likely to suffer permanent harm from isolation

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Sparki55
Guru

Inmates are likely to suffer permanent harm from isolation

Post by Sparki55 »

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/216537/Time-limit-put-on-solitary

Do any of you fellow form posters even care what mental state we subject prisoners to?
I'm assuming the ones who end up in these solo cells are the scum of the earth I'd rather pretend never existed. If they are these people I for one believe they should be kept this way and be driven insane as punishment. Justive system seems not to care about the permanent damage left with their victims.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Re: Inmates are likely to suffer permanent harm from isolati

Post by Ka-El »

Sparki55 wrote: I for one believe they should be kept this way and be driven insane as punishment.

Go in angry and violent. Come out angry, violent and insane. Sounds like a plan. What could go wrong?

Sparki55 wrote: Justive system seems not to care about the permanent damage left with their victims.

I can appreciate it seems that way at times. For example, it is often argued that offenders have too many rights, while not understanding we have certain safeguards in place (eg, innocent until prove guilty) to protect the innocent from being targeted by the Crown (and still that happens). What the corrections system (only a piece in the justice system) does though, is to try and prevent future victims. Creating angrier, more violent and then even insane offenders is not usually on the agenda.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Ka-El wrote:Go in angry and violent. Come out angry, violent and insane. Sounds like a plan. What could go wrong?

If jail becomes so lax don't you agree there will be no fear to return? Live life to the max while you are free; steal, kill, rape. Once incarcerated, kick back on a paid for vacation with plently of rights, treated well, tv's, gym, play time, social time, take a free course, no fear of being isolated too long for bad behavior.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Those convicted of any on the list murder charges/or causing death, rape, violence against the elderly or anything involving children &/or disabled.
Personal they can rot in jail both mind & body.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Sparki55 wrote: If jail becomes so lax don't you agree there will be no fear to return? Live life to the max while you are free; steal, kill, rape. Once incarcerated, kick back on a paid for vacation with plently of rights, treated well, tv's, gym, play time, social time, take a free course, no fear of being isolated too long for bad behavior.

I know that misconception of the easy life in jail is popular among some. TV, gym, "play time" - yes, when scheduled and if and when allowed. Social time? Yes, but restricted to the pod you are assigned. Free courses? Yes, we don't want any of these guys learning anything that might help them to take another course than crime. Isolation? Try to think this further through.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Ka-El I get it, you are taking the approach that we should treat them nicely and maybe they will be better people after.

I think that if prison was the hell hole that it should be and people were afraid to go, we would have less offenders and less repeat offenders.

My parents whipped my :cuss: with a spoon and took away my most beloved items and grounded me if I ever stepped out of line. If they didn't isolate me in my room and take away things which to occupy my time I wouldn't have been so afraid to step out if line.
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Sparki55 wrote:Ka-El I get it, you are taking the approach that we should treat them nicely and maybe they will be better people after.

I think that if prison was the hell hole that it should be and people were afraid to go, we would have less offenders and less repeat offenders.

My parents whipped my :cuss: with a spoon and took away my most beloved items and grounded me if I ever stepped out of line. If they didn't isolate me in my room and take away things which to occupy my time I wouldn't have been so afraid to step out if line.

The problem however is that we usually let these people out at the end. The people we let out however are more often than not worse than when they went in.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

GordonH wrote:Those convicted of any on the list murder charges/or causing death, rape, violence against the elderly or anything involving children &/or disabled.

but, but, but they will never do it again, [icon_lol2.gif]
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Sparki55 wrote:Ka-El I get it, you are taking the approach that we should treat them nicely and maybe they will be better people after.

Uh, not exactly. Although we are going to treat them like human beings - other than the fact they are locked up and have had all their freedoms taken away (how would like to share a cell with someone and have to crap on the toilet out in the open) - it is far more involved than that. Contrary to the belief of some, we do not employ "hug therapy".

Sparki55 wrote: I think that if prison was the hell hole that it should be and people were afraid to go, we would have less offenders and less repeat offenders.

First, you are wrong in assuming that people are not afraid to go to jail (although some like to sound tough). And while there is definitely a punitive effect (contrary to your belief), it is not the punishment that leads to a reduction in recidivism.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Those convicted of any on the list murder charges/or causing death, rape, violence against the elderly or anything involving children &/or disabled.

the truth wrote:but, but, but they will never do it again, [icon_lol2.gif]

Shouldn't have done it the first time.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

most of them have no problem going back to club fed
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

the truth wrote:most of them have no problem going back to club fed

Pretty tight with an ex con who told you this I assume?
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 17th, 2018, 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

MrBrocksEgo wrote:
the truth wrote:most of them have no problem going back to club fed

Pretty tight with an ex con who told you this I assume?

[icon_lol2.gif] That is funny. Share a cell in a pod of four cells, eight guys (or more sometimes) to a pod – all cinderblock and steel and no windows to the outside. Get up when you’re told and fall out for cell inspection. Breakfast one pod at a time and no food allowed to be brought back to your cell. Need to go to the bathroom? There’s your toilet – it’s sitting right out there in the middle of your cell. Told when and when you cannot watch TV. An hour in the yard each day – maybe play some handball, or just enjoy being outside for an hour (the yard is a box surrounded by three story walls on all four sides, but you can see the sky) – and then back to the pod. Regular “lock-ups” during the day requiring everyone to get back in their cells. For those who want to otherwise get out of their pods sometime during the day, there is work (laundry, kitchen), school and/or CBT programming. Got a problem with any of this? Well, there is segregation.

It’s a damn vacation! :birthday2:
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

Ka-El wrote:
MrBrocksEgo wrote:Pretty tight with an ex con who told you this I assume?

[icon_lol2.gif] That is funny. Share a cell in a pod of four cells, eight guys (or more sometimes) to a pod – all cinderblock and steel and no windows to the outside. Get up when you’re told and fall out for cell inspection. Breakfast one pod at a time and no food allowed to be brought back to your cell. Need to go to the bathroom? There’s your toilet – it’s sitting right out there in the middle of your cell. Told when and when you cannot watch TV. An hour in the yard each day – maybe play some handball, or just enjoy being outside for an hour (the yard is a box surrounded by three story walls on all four sides, but you can see the sky) – and then back to the pod. Regular “lock-ups” during the day requiring everyone to get back in their cells. For those who want to otherwise get out of their pods sometime during the day, there is work (laundry, kitchen), school and/or CBT programming. Got a problem with any of this? Well, there is segregation.

It’s a damn vacation! :birthday2:

Sign me up. I'm usually sick of making decisions for myself at the end of the week anyway. /s

Return to “Social Concerns”