Is this man's career being destroyed for political reasons?

Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Is this man's career being destroyed for political reasons?

Post by Merry »

Up until now I haven't been paying much attention to what's been happening to our Vice Chief of Defence Staff, but this article has really made me sit up and take notice.

If even half of what the article alleges is true, our Minister of National Defence (Harjit Singh Sajjan) should be asked to resign.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/andrew- ... f-politics
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Is this man's career being destroyed for political reaso

Post by rustled »

Apparently, the complaint is that the federal government was embarrassed. So like petulant children who'd been tattled on, they looked for someone to scapegoat.

This government is getting more and more ham-fisted. It's terribly un-Canadian of them, and does not reflect who we are as a people.

Arrogance and hubris will bring them down.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
christopher
Board Meister

Post by christopher »

If this is true the Government " even when it is not popular needs to do the right thing " an apology to this man and some of that money they hand out for any wrongdoings.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Post by Catsumi »

Buried within this great little news item is a reference to another soul (unnamed) who has been singled out as having caused "embarrasment" to the federal government.

Although his "crime" is not mentioned, I wonder if this is the unsung anonymous Canadian folk hero who leaked the info re the Ten Million payout to Khadr.

If so, I will start a gofundme page for him. He (she) will need high priced lawyers to battle with this evil perched upon the arches of Parliament and crapping on our values.

Watch carefully, wait patiently, the rat agenda will emerge from its hole at some point.

. :chicken:
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
LongHaul
Fledgling

Post by LongHaul »

The link below is to an article that provides more detail into what lead up to Liberals attempting to have Vice-Admiral Norman
walk the plank.

Interesting read. Short summary as I understood it.

The Navy needed a supply ship badly. Vice-admiral Normal may have put his career on the line to ensure the Navy got it. It was delivered on time and on budget. Something unheard of in CDN Military procurement.
The Liberals under pressure from the Irving Family who didn't get the business tried to stop the build for a "review".
Somebody leaked this to the press and the resulting publicity made the Liberals back down.
The Liberals suspect Vice-Admiral Norman of the leak in order to beat off the interference by them on behalf of the Irving Family.
http://nationalpost.com/feature/man-overboard
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

^^From the piece:
Environment minister Catherine McKenna told investigators she believed that as a result of the leak, “trust and confidence in officials was clearly put into disrepute.”

As if.

Newsflash, McKenna: Our governments' ongoing inability to properly maintain our military, their ridiculous preference for politics over practicalities, has clearly put trust and confidence in officials into disrepute. And this witch hunt over the leak is simply more of same.
There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - Martin Luther King Jr.
LongHaul
Fledgling

Post by LongHaul »

No charges, no investigation — but DND declares Vice-Admiral Mark Norman is guilty

There is concern among some of Norman’s supporters the federal government is dragging out the investigation in the hopes the financial pressure of his legal bills would force Norman to resign.

Isn't this a violation of the Charter of Rights? Seems like "Guilty
until Proven Innocent Law".

The new supply ship which was completed on time and on budget in spite
of the Liberals attempt to delay it should be named after Vice Admiral
Norman.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/dnd-declares-mark-norman-is-guilty-even-though-no-charges-have-been-laid-document
rustled
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by rustled »

LongHaul wrote:
No charges, no investigation — but DND declares Vice-Admiral Mark Norman is guilty

There is concern among some of Norman’s supporters the federal government is dragging out the investigation in the hopes the financial pressure of his legal bills would force Norman to resign.

Isn't this a violation of the Charter of Rights? Seems like "Guilty
until Proven Innocent Law".

The new supply ship which was completed on time and on budget in spite
of the Liberals attempt to delay it should be named after Vice Admiral
Norman.

http://nationalpost.com/news/politics/dnd-declares-mark-norman-is-guilty-even-though-no-charges-have-been-laid-document

I think the ship is only on lease, but the two that are being built could be Norman I and Norman II.

He actually got done what had to be done (heroic, in today's political climate), and our petulant government is hanging him out to dry.

Not my prime minister, not my government, not my Canada.
hobbyguy
Buddha of the Board

Post by hobbyguy »

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mark-norman-case-prosecutors-1.4478470

and http://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-reveal-the-case-against-vice-admiral-mark-norman

Over the years, there have been rumors of a cozy relationship between some contractors and members of the military brass. I have to wonder, because details are very sparse, if that is not part of this. In some ways, if that is the case, it is akin to insider trading, where the responses from contractors get tailored to meet objections from cabinet, and the brass get to subvert cabinet decisions that suit their personal preferences.

We don't know, the press don't know. While I understand the desire of the press to get to the bottom of this, it is, after all, a personnel matter - and as such it would be entirely inappropriate for the government to release any details - ahead of or after a resolution.

So all we have is pure speculation...
The middle path - everything in moderation, and everything in its time and order.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

Not my prime minister, not my government, not my Canada.

Its a sad day when one whom voted for said PM completely agrees with this statement.......
We need to make Canada awesome again!
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
LongHaul
Fledgling

Post by LongHaul »

Another update on the strange case of Vice-Admiral Norman accused of sabotaging by a deliberate E-mail leak the Liberal Cabinet's plan to delay the build of a badly needed navy supply ship.

This latest update reports:

The case recently became even stranger still. The vice-admiral had applied for financial assistance for his legal bills via a federal program that supports public service members who are required to seek legal assistance arising from problems faced during their duties. The application was rejected, and a letter obtained by Postmedia from National Defence to one of Norman’s lawyers explains that, “In disclosing confidential government information respecting a Government of Canada procurement initiative to a third party without authorization, (the vice-admiral) does not meet the eligibility criteria” for the financial aid.

In other words, he’s being told he’s ineligible to use funds specifically meant to help service members defend themselves against allegations against them, because Defence has decided the allegations in this case must be true, even though no charges have been laid and no investigation has been completed. Franz Kafka, call your office.

It is possible, of course, that charges are just around the corner. Maybe a conviction would result. But in the meantime, one of Canada’s top military men remains idled, still paid while bureaucrats effectively punish him by process. It’s an appalling situation and it gets worse the longer it drags on. And if the government is handling this as unfairly and badly as it looks to us, it’s not hard to imagine hearing some prime minister at some point explain how angry he or she is about having to settle an expensive, but justified lawsuit over all of it.

As for that ship the Liberals didn’t want but were forced to accept after a leak that may not have actually been a leak? The Asterix is now completing trial runs and has successfully refuelled the HMCS Toronto at sea. Meanwhile, the program to replace it with newly built vessels has been delayed again, with no delivery likely until the mid-2020s.

Makes one wonder is there solid evidence incriminating Vice_Admiral Norman for the leak and charges are coming? Or is the government trying to force him to resign when he no longer can afford to pay the legal bills for his defence. Guess time will tell.

http://nationalpost.com/opinion/np-view-vice-admiral-mark-norman-gets-the-kafka-treatment-from-the-liberals

Return to “Canada”