Slashed Tires at College

Home of the traffic rant.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Slashed Tires at College

Post by Always Sunny »

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#216834

So which is it? Security says the tires were slashed, Kal Tire says vandalized with a sharp tool, but the RCMP thinks that all 10+ vehicles must have all run over something sharp to cause the damage?

I appreciate that parking lots are “at your own risk”. How (or does it) affect an insurance claim if the police report only states you did something wrong, as opposed to being an act of vandalism.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Slashed Tires at College

Post by Dizzy1 »

Always Sunny wrote:but the RCMP thinks that all 10+ vehicles must have all run over something sharp to cause the damage?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Wondering if any local tire shops are trying to drum up sales, maybe not the best way..... just a thought.

running over something sharp usually only effects first vehicle, also just a thought
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Always Sunny »

GordonH wrote:Wondering if any local tire shops are trying to drum up sales, maybe not the best way..... just a thought.

running over something sharp usually only effects first vehicle, also just a thought

Right? Unless it was literally some kind of spike belt, debris like that is going to get stuck in the tire, not lie there for the next vehicle.

Can’t imagine the tire shop angle. There are a lot of options to choose from, so there wouldn’t be much assurance they’d go to the offending one for new tires. Then again, if any business were that still to slash tires to gain customers, they probably wouldn’t think that far ahead.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Wondering if any local tire shops are trying to drum up sales, maybe not the best way..... just a thought.

Always Sunny wrote:Right? Unless it was literally some kind of spike belt, debris like that is going to get stuck in the tire, not lie there for the next vehicle.

Can’t imagine the tire shop angle. There are a lot of options to choose from, so there wouldn’t be much assurance they’d go to the offending one for new tires. Then again, if any business were that still to slash tires to gain customers, they probably wouldn’t think that far ahead.

My tire shop comment, I was joking (should have indicated with a lol).

Usually slashed tires happen on the side wall, since the amount of force needed to slash in tread is huge (because it's thickness part of the tire).
Yes, you are correct it would have to be something along the lines of a spike belt to get both passenger side tires only. As well multiple vehicles
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Isn’t it a huge stretch to think that all 10 vehicles drove over exactly the same thing despite having possibly come from various directions? If that is the case, shouldn’t they have been able to identify what it was that they all drove over by narrowing down the most common point, being entrance to the parking lot itself? If it is the one I am thinking it is, there are two entrances to the parking lot, and several entrances to the campus itself. Again, likelihood they all took exactly the same route in? Not bloody likely.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Well, if anyone knew how a spike belt worked, you'd know the damage wasn't caused by one. Think of a porcupine. As you drive over the belt, hollow "spikes" pierce the tread surface of the tire (generally several) and these spikes pull out of the belt and slowly deflate the tire. If ten vehicles drove over the same belt it would be very unlikely there'd be any spikes left, and each flat tire would have the spikes still in each tire.

Makes sense in that if the spikes were permanently affixed to the belt, as the tire continued to roll it would take the belt with it.

"Always Sunny" has a good point, except any insurance company will do their own inspection, or rely on a tire store to describe the damage. The fact some cop said thay ran over something doesn't amount to a hill of beans. They'd rely on the physical damage on the tire.

Big difference between "10 vehicles running over something" verses "slashed" (which is vandalism).

But if each tire was damaged in the tread area, the ties could likely be repaired, which would be under any comprehensive deductible, if the damaged is on the side wall the tire needs replacing, then insurance wouls pay for new ties less deductible and depreciation.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

insurance claim for two tires lol, seriously? unless youre running low profile 20s which you wouldn't this time of year anyway, it would cost more for the deductible than the tires cost
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

A newer, other than base model, car could take up to $700 to replace 2 tires, sensors & programming. My kid’s car runs 18s on her winter rims... not cheap. You would be surprised how low tires have to be profiled because of a tight brake caliper to wheel fit.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

the tires on mine are around 700 each but I still wouldn't go through insurance by the time they pro rate the wear on them and you pay deductible you may as well just go buy them, personally I don't think insurance should even cover tires unless someone actually steals them
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I feel absolutely terrible for these students who have clearly done nothing to warrant this absurd, unexpected expense. It’s sad that some people feel there should be no coverage for crap like this.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

I feel bad for them to but if ya cant afford two tires for your ride might be time to think about an alternative means of transportation, and they don't even know for sure if its vandalism if they all ran over something sharp should icbc cover that to
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

If it's just a puncture then the tires can be repaired and no need to replace.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

true depending on how bad of a puncture it is and where on the tire
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

LTD wrote:I feel bad for them to but if ya cant afford two tires for your ride might be time to think about an alternative means of transportation, and they don't even know for sure if its vandalism if they all ran over something sharp should icbc cover that to

It is not so much the affordability, my angst is more about the absurdity and unjustness. The likelihood of each vehicle approaching the college campus using the exact same route is soooooo slim that the damaging sharp thing that punctured should have been immediately spotted. There are two entrances to that particular parking lot, and several entrances to the campus itself.

My money is on vandalism, and someone needs to be held responsible. I'd like to see the perp clean the parking lot of the winter sand with his tongue.

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”