Slashed Tires at College

Home of the traffic rant.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Re: Slashed Tires at College

Post by LTD »

all on the passenger side so if it was something sharp like a piece of rebar poking out of a sidewalk at one of the entrances it would be plausible but also easy to find
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

If the tire/s is repairable then go to a tire shop, have them do a plug patch (which means taking tire off the rim). I personally never let any tire shop/garage to use just a plug, I insist on a plug patch.
Now it's been 20+ since my last flat tire (knock on wood), so maybe innovation has developed a better way.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

LTD wrote:all on the passenger side so if it was something sharp like a piece of rebar poking out of a sidewalk at one of the entrances it would be plausible but also easy to find

How sharp, though? Rebar would be more of a puncture than a slash.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

LTD wrote:all on the passenger side so if it was something sharp like a piece of rebar poking out of a sidewalk at one of the entrances it would be plausible but also easy to find

kgcayenne wrote:How sharp, though? Rebar would be more of a puncture than a slash.

A slash of the tread area, I would expect a rather large stationary item. Added, if the slash is on the edge of the tread & near the sidewall then tires are un-repairable.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Wheels likely would have damage also.
And since the tire is rolling and rubber flexible, usually tear into carcass not just poke.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

I popped a tire driving over the railway tracks in Vernon. the plastic cover was cracked, and it bent up, biting a massive 4 inch hole in my sidewall. Of course, you really should buy your tires in pairs, so it set me back $500.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I noticed an update.

An item was also removed from the roadway and police said it may have been responsible for damaging the tires.
RCMP are asking anyone with information to suggest the damage was intentional or accidental is asked to contact the Kelowna RCMP and cite File #2018-3436.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

LTD wrote:the tires on mine are around 700 each but I still wouldn't go through insurance by the time they pro rate the wear on them and you pay deductible you may as well just go buy them, personally I don't think insurance should even cover tires unless someone actually steals them

Nobody forces you to put in an insurance claim. So, only if they are stolen ? Someone smashes into your fender and tears your sidewall open, just tell the insurance you rather pay for the tire yourself. I'm sure they'd let you, might get some strange looks, but it's a free country.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

little different scenario getting damaged in a collision compared to getting a flat good try tho
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

Different lots, all on passenger side... it does sound like some sort of road hazard. Could have been intentionally placed hence RCMP asking for info.

If the puncture was in the tread area it's very unlikely they were slashed. It's not easy to puncture the steel belts in the tread area, and the sidewall is easier to access while doing more damage (tire can't be plugged).

Return to “Trials & Tribulations of Traffic”