10 Safeway to close in Lower Mainland

averagejoe
Buddha of the Board

10 Safeway to close in Lower Mainland

Post by averagejoe »

Like Sears? Safeway not keeping up with times. Need to to pursue the exploding Asian market in the Vancouver area...

10 Safeway stores to close

A union representing Safeway employees in British Columbia says 10 stores in the province will be permanently closed, affecting about 1,000 employees, as labour negotiations are set to begin.

The Safeway locations slated for closure in B.C. include Lougheed Mall and Royal Oak in Burnaby, City Square and Point Grey in Vancouver and Sunwood Square in Coquitlam.

Safeway stores in B.C. also slated to be permanently closed but that may reopen as FreshCo locations include Blundell and Broadmoor in Richmond, Newton Town Centre and Strawberry Hills in Surrey, and Safeway Mission.

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/217028 ... s-to-close
Ecclesiastes 10:2 A wise man's heart is at his right hand; but a fool's heart at his left.

Thor Heyerdahl Says: “Our lack of knowledge about our own past is appalling.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Re: 10 Safeway to close in Lower Mainland

Post by GordonH »

This should not have been unexpected as soon as Safeway Canada was purchased by Sobeys.
Last edited by GordonH on Jan 23rd, 2018, 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I bet that the one at 97 and Leckie will go too. Stupid store and Wallymart on either side and always busy when Safeway is dead.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

alanjh595 wrote:I bet that the one at 97 and Leckie will go too. Stupid store and Wallymart on either side and always busy when Safeway is dead.

Bite your tongue, I like that Safeway. :D
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

alanjh595 wrote:I bet that the one at 97 and Leckie will go too. Stupid store and Wallymart on either side and always busy when Safeway is dead.

Downtown location should be safe since it's pretty well the only grocery store.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

Unionized employees doesn't help either and I think Sobey's is trying to bust the Union.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

GordonH wrote:Downtown location should be safe since it's pretty well the only grocery store.

Safeway left Orchard Park because it didn't make the money the one on Bernard did. Of course in store prices are different store to store and the one downtown always seems to be busy. I only shopped the sales there.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Seem's to be ones that are anchored to malls in the lower mainland that are being closed, possibly extremely high rental/leaae prices (not sure if empire owns those). Malls do have ridiculously high lease rates, and grocery stores are more of a destination shop, than a chance pass by let's go see whats in this store that malls offer.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Why anyone would shop at Safeway or Save On is beyond me - you get the same products else where for almost half the price. $7 for a box of Lucky Charms - good grief.
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

Dizzy1 wrote:Why anyone would shop at Safeway or Save On is beyond me - you get the same products else where for almost half the price. $7 for a box of Lucky Charms - good grief.

I know I maybe paying a little more but I also know I'm buying from a locally owned & operated grocery store, when I shop at Lakeview Market.
So everyone you can keep your Safeway, Save on More, Urban Fare & Walmart etc... etc
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Dizzy1 wrote:Why anyone would shop at Safeway or Save On is beyond me - you get the same products else where for almost half the price. $7 for a box of Lucky Charms - good grief.

Actually I can answer that for you.

No one with a mind toward being a prudent shopper, purchases all their items from the same store.

Every store has items that they will take you to the cleaners with, if you are gullible enough to buy them.

Because of this it's best to know who has what, compare prices, and in an apples to apples sense, where you pay attention to weight/quantity as well.

For example I know for a fact there are products sold at Walmart that at first glance appear to be the same packaging and price, as other retailers, that is until you count the contents, and learn that you are getting far less for the same price.

Not all stores carry the same products or size of product either, so that's another reason to shop around. Safeway for example has my shampoo in one litre bottles, whereas everyone else only carries 300ml bottles. As another example of availability good luck trying to find turkey kolbassa anywhere but Save On these days.

I also like Safeway's hot food offerings, and find they have far more variety than Save On Foods or IGA. Their roast beef dinners were awesome, but I think they quit offering those now.

So in conclusion, in my case I obtain some items from Safeway, some from Super Store, some from Costco, and the rest of my shopping is fairly evenly split, between Safe On Foods and IGA.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Old Techie wrote:Actually I can answer that for you.

No one with a mind toward being a prudent shopper, purchases all their items from the same store.

Every store has items that they will take you to the cleaners with, if you are gullible enough to buy them.

Because of this it's best to know who has what, compare prices, and in an apples to apples sense, where you pay attention to weight/quantity as well.

For example I know for a fact there are products sold at Walmart that at first glance appear to be the same packaging and price, as other retailers, that is until you count the contents, and learn that you are getting far less for the same price.

Not all stores carry the same products or size of product either, so that's another reason to shop around. Safeway for example has my shampoo in one litre bottles, whereas everyone else only carries 300ml bottles. As another example of availability good luck trying to find turkey kolbassa anywhere but Save On these days.

I also like Safeway's hot food offerings, and find they have far more variety than Save On Foods or IGA. Their roast beef dinners were awesome, but I think they quit offering those now.

So in conclusion, in my case I obtain some items from Safeway, some from Super Store, some from Costco, and the rest of my shopping is fairly evenly split, between Safe On Foods and IGA.

I get where you're coming from, but buying shampoo at a grocery store? Barbaric :biggrin:

As for meat products, butchers and delis are our go to places.

We only go to grocery stores for dried goods, essentials and some produce - otherwise its off to specialty stores (bakery's, deli's, grooming supplies, etc.)
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

GordonH wrote:I know I maybe paying a little more but I also know I'm buying from a locally owned & operated grocery store, when I shop at Lakeview Market.
So everyone you can keep your Safeway, Save on More, Urban Fare & Walmart etc... etc

I agree, whenever I go into my local IGA, I have at least 6 staff wave at me and say, "Good morning". We are on a first name basis and they give me a heads-up to sales on items that I usually buy.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

A lot of people walk to the downtown Safeway - it's convenient. People shop there on their lunch hour so don't have to stop on the way home - convenient.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
casey60
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by casey60 »

Used to shop at Safeway, became too expensive. Save on Food with Darrell (annoying) too expensive, Superstore, they changed there isles as such so I have to walk much more just because of the addition of wine and the store is becoming too expensive. Independent store, you would think they charge same as SuperStore. They don't. They charge more. Leaves me with Wallmart and any sales in the other stores. Works for me as I am on a limited pension that increased by .05%. Wow

Return to “B.C.”