10 Safeway to close in Lower Mainland

Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: 10 Safeway to close in Lower Mainland

Post by Bsuds »

We shopped at Safeway years ago when it was at OP and stopped when it moved to Dillworth.

One day not too long ago when shopping I was at Save On and several of the items I needed were pretty pricey there and I was going to Wal Mart so decided to look there.

Comparing prices on 3 items I saved over $10!!! On just 3 items, that's pretty bad.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

I haven't purchased shampoo since my mid 20s. lol....... Dizzy1
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

GordonH wrote:I haven't purchased shampoo since my mid 20s. lol....... Dizzy1

We noticed! :laugh:
lesliepaul
Lord of the Board

Post by lesliepaul »

Read the weekly flyers people. I have my main "go to" stores for certain items and that is Safeway (Leckie) and Lakeview Market. Superstore and Walmart are odds and ends when their sales draw me in. I will say that Save-On is at the bottom simply because their prices are high. Safeway WAS on par with Save-On pricewise but after the Sobey's takeover their regular prices dropped on a LOT of items and their weekly sales encompass considerably more. The "best" rye bread in Kelowna is sold at Safeway and that one item drew me their years ago.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

In store prices are different from the same chain so pays to pay attention.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Bsuds wrote:We noticed! :laugh:

Looks good doesn't it
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
fluffy
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by fluffy »

I don’t mind paying a few bucks more to support a store that looks after their employees but those all seem to be going the way of the dodo, and I’ll be the first to admit that not everyone has the luxury of making a choice like that.
“We’ll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective.” – Kurt Vonnegut
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

fluffy wrote:I don’t mind paying a few bucks more to support a store that looks after their employees but those all seem to be going the way of the dodo, and I’ll be the first to admit that not everyone has the luxury of making a choice like that.

I agree. At my local IGA, the manager is always out on the floor doing the worst jobs, like restocking frozen foods and resetting end-caps for sale items. The staff always speak very highly of their leadership and appreciate his presence.
If the cashier line up is more than 2-3, another cashier will come running and open up.
I often ask for the bakery to leave 1 loaf of bread unsliced for me to pick-up the next day, they have never failed and neither have I at keeping the promise.
I can pre-order whatever cut of meat I want and it will be ready right on time, every time. I have a great rapport with the staff at this store. Even when the milk truck was late getting in due to snow conditions, I gave the owner a "small" hard time about not having 4 ltr. jugs of 2%. He told me to give the manager a HARD time about it, which I did in front of the owner. The manager gave me two 2 ltrs. for the same price, took them out of the cooler and delivered them to the cashier with his special price for me. It was great fun.
It also pays to show your support and appreciation for customer service that goes above and beyond of today's standards.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Swapped shampoo for SPF 50 sunscreen I take it. [icon_lol2.gif]
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Fancy wrote:In store prices are different from the same chain so pays to pay attention.

Definitely!

There can be quite a difference in product offered as well from same chain. Save On Foods in the Mission, has far more items than the one in Winfield, and higher prices too.

Every once in a while you can tell they had too much product somewhere, as our local store will carry items you normally only see in the Kelowna outlets, then once it's sold you don't see it again for eons.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

If you see something in the Safeway, Save-On-Foods, Nestor's, London Drugs, Shoppers, etc. flyers and you won't be near that store when you're going shopping at RCSS or Walmart, take the flyer with you and they'll price match. Saves on gas and time spent going store-to-store.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

:laugh: :up:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

oneh2obabe wrote:If you see something in the Safeway, Save-On-Foods, Nestor's, London Drugs, Shoppers, etc. flyers and you won't be near that store when you're going shopping at RCSS or Walmart, take the flyer with you and they'll price match. Saves on gas and time spent going store-to-store.

That works if you get the flyers. I got tired of throwing everything in the recycling bin and hauling it to the curb once a week.
I put a sign up saying "no papers or flyers" and voila no more crap at the door every day.

I'm not running from store to store chasing prices either. We have stores that we shop at and things we use on a regular basis we can wait for sales and stock up. We have 2 fridges and 2 freezers, so that's 4 freezers we can fill up. A vacuum sealer machine for buying things in bulk and separating into portions for use later. Meat will keep for over a year in those.

We do have a friend who goes thru the flyers and will let my wife know if there is a good sale on somewhere.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Haven't received flyers for 3 weeks since the carrier quit. I check the flyers online and since I know everyone in the main stores near me, I can pull the flyer up on my phone and they will price match as long as the dates are current.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

I don't shop where your required to have some loyalty card or provide a number for a sale- Glad Safeway dumped that.
I NEVER shop at Save On for that reason and i've never really gotten into the habit of shopping at Safeway because of it.
Though Safeway's deli or hot food counter i've gone to frequently at times.

It's mostly SuperStore, Walmart & Safeway only if there's some freakish sale on a particular item.

Return to “B.C.”