#MeToo

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
liisgo
Lord of the Board

Re: #MeToo

Post by liisgo »

[/quote]

The movie/entertainment industry dictates how women are suppose to behave, dress, appear in public. This article blames the women for trying to meet the required standard. They are required to be compliant, cheerful, beautiful, slim, and dressed the way they are. There were/are no jobs for women who appear unhappy, disheveled, unsexy and complaining with the circumstances of their employment. I see no blame being laid on those who required those women to endure sexual abuse along the way.

It's a stupid article, regardless if it was written by a woman or not. And is just one more example of victim blaming in this whole process.[/quote]

OMG, please stop. Its choice. Everything you chose in life means you made a choice. Hang gliding, Hunting grizzly with a bow.
Driving drunk. Taking a dangerous, life threatening job. Careers with bad locations, horrible hours. Posing naked, having sex for pay for the whole world to see. Dressing with most of your privates exposed. Flirting, Taking your clothes off for money, fame etc.
Real, its out of women's control? Hollywood.
Being abused in Hollywood sexually is wrong A sure fire way to avoid it a 100% is stay clear of it. Don't do it. easy as pie.
For god's sake are people not smarter and more capable of control and decisions?
zoo
Übergod

Post by zoo »

Know why hollywood is such a sex based, visual business. Because women are doing it.
No one else is to blame for how they dress, for having sex for money, etc.
Could women themselves put a stop to the sexually part of the business? Of course they could.
would they? Not a chance.
So who has the power? Someone that can expose themselves and make a fortune or the person that has to pay for it???
If you sell yourself of as a sex object, something to visualize over, there is a name for that.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

I don't hear of many men complaining that they were forced to have sex with castors or directors just to get or keep a job.
Are the women getting the same "choice" as anyone else, for half the pay?
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Jan 24th, 2018, 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... nice-today with the me to movement is it really a good idea to give someone a complement you do not know ? god knows what it will get twisted into, sad but true
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/217095/You-look-nice-today with the me to movement is it really a good idea to give someone a complement you do not know ? god knows what it will get twisted into, sad but true

Funny, I just started a thread on this. Definitely risky for a middle aged white guy like me. LOL
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

the truth wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/217095/You-look-nice-today with the me to movement is it really a good idea to give someone a complement you do not know ? god knows what it will get twisted into, sad but true

TreeGuy wrote:Funny, I just started a thread on this. Definitely risky for a middle aged white guy like me. LOL

Oh, yeah, the old "I just smiled at a woman and was sent to jail for 20 years" claim?
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

depends what you consider a compliment. Who are you complimenting strangers or a friend?
I look nice everyday ( I pretend whilst having a squirrel living in my dirty hair)
Nice. You know it's a bad day when you get nice. My Sainted Mother would say someone had " nice eyes" learned she meant they had 7 of them :/
Think of me as Thumper's step mother - if you can't say anything nice sit by me
Sorry, inhaled glue fumes etc for 2 days
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

zoo wrote:Know why hollywood is such a sex based, visual business. Because women are doing it.
Could women themselves put a stop to the sexually part of the business? Of course they could.
So who has the power? Someone that can expose themselves and make a fortune or the person that has to pay for it???
If you sell yourself of as a sex object, something to visualize over, there is a name for that.

What are women doing exactly? Hollywood is a sex based, visual business run by men showing men's version of women. Maybe that's why a lot of you think we all think the same and can't comprehend that's were all unique individuals.

https://womenandhollywood.com/resources/statistics/
FACTS TO KNOW ABOUT WOMEN IN HOLLYWOOD
1) Women account for 52% of moviegoers. (MPAA 2016)

2) On the top 100 grossing films of 2016, women represented:

4% of directors
11% of writers
3% of cinematographers
19% of producers
14% of editors
(Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film)

3) On the top 250 grossing films of 2016, women comprised 3% of composers. (Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film)

4) Kathryn Bigelow is the only woman to ever win the Academy Award for Best Director. Only four women have ever been nominated (Lina Wertmüller, Jane Campion, Sofia Coppola, and Bigelow).

5) A female cinematographer has never been nominated for an Oscar.

6) In the top 100 films of 2016:

Females comprised 29% of protagonists
78% of female characters had an identifiable job or occupation (compared to 86% of male characters)
45% of female characters were seen in their work setting, actually working (versus 61% of males)

7) 76% of all female characters were white in the top 100 films of 2016. 14% were Black, 6% were Asian, and 3% were Latina. (Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film)

8) On the top 500 films of 2016, movies with at least one female director employed greater percentages of women writers, editors, cinematographers, and composers than films with exclusively male directors. (Center for the Study of Women in Television and Film)

9) DIVERSITY SELLS:

Films with diverse casts enjoy the highest median global box office and the highest median return on investment
Broadcast scripted shows featuring diverse casts net the highest median 18-49 ratings
(Ralph J. Bunche Center)

10) During the 2015-2016 broadcast network TV season:

Women accounted for only 27% of all individuals working as creators, directors, writers, producers, executive producers, editors, and directors of photography
98% of programs had no women directors of photography, 91% had no women directors, 78% had no women editors, 76% had no women creators, 71% had no women writers, 26% had no women producers, 26% had no women executive producers
71% of female characters were white. 17% were Black, 5% were Latina, 5% were Asian, and 2% were of another race or ethnicity.
On programs with at least one woman executive producer, females accounted for 41% of major characters
On programs with exclusively male executive producers, females comprised 31% of major characters

11) A “fiscal cliff” faces female directors. Women:

Directed 27.5% of independent narrative competition movies at Sundance from 2007 to 2017
Accounted for 22.2% of first-time episodic TV directors from the 2009-10 season to the 2016-17 season
Accounted for 17% of episodic TV directors from the 2012-13 season to 2016-17 season
Represented 4% of the top-grossing films directors from 2007-2017
(Inclusion Initiative)
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

zoo wrote:Know why hollywood is such a sex based, visual business. Because women are doing it.

Why should a woman be blamed for dressing attractively?
Who signed up to have sex for money? They applied for acting jobs, were assaulted, and in some cases accepted a settlement for the assault (and might have had a non-disclosure agreement).
So women could put a stop to the sexual attacks, by what, wearing a burka?
Looking attractive IS part of the business. It's also part of being a waitress, a secretary for many businesses. Surely you are not saying that women have brought on sexual abuse by looking attractive?. Should news anchors, business women, Olympic athletes, also dress a little more ugly, use less makeup, to stave off sexual abuse?
Actresses are working as actors, they are not "selling themselves" as a receptacle for men's sperm.(Yes there is a name for that, but it still needs to be consensual).
If you want to "visulalize" over their filmed image or magazine layout, there is no law against that, but there is a law against forcing unwanted sexual advances on them.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

:popcorn:
Gilchy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Gilchy »

liisgo wrote: Being abused in Hollywood sexually is wrong A sure fire way to avoid it a 100% is stay clear of it. Don't do it. easy as pie.
For god's sake are people not smarter and more capable of control and decisions?

What about all the women who are sexually harassed or abused outside of Hollywood? Here in Kelowna, out and about, at work, home, school?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

liisgo wrote: Being abused in Hollywood sexually is wrong A sure fire way to avoid it a 100% is stay clear of it. Don't do it. easy as pie.

Gilchy wrote:What about all the women who are sexually harassed or abused outside of Hollywood? Here in Kelowna, out and about, at work, home, school?

Liisgo's solution: "A sure fire way to avoid it a 100% is stay clear of it. Don't do it. easy as pie.
For god's sake are people not smarter and more capable of control and decisions?"

What about the RCMP applicant's assaulted by their doctor, should they just not apply to the RCMP?
What about the Olympic gymnast's assaulted by their doctor, or coach, should they just not train to be gymnasts?
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

oldtrucker wrote:So...if a woman is dressing attractively, is she doing it to "attract" men? Is she doing it to attract women? What is dressing "attractively" for? Women know that men are hard wired by evolution to notice curves,and when a woman dresses with showing off those curves intentionally, who is she showing those curves to? Is it a game? Of course it is. Actually the game starts before they even leave the house in the form of "makeup"."Make"-up. It's what it sounds like. The deception starts there and ends with flaunting her sexuality ...but, don't look at her makeup or curves because that's not acceptable anymore.
Get where I'm going with this? It's kinda like advertising a delicious looking plate of food on a billboard and having someone show up to the place that was advertising it and saying to the person that wanted to buy the food that it wasn't for sale and they can't have any because the billboard was only put up there for the sole purpose of making people's mouths water.
Its a sick sick mindbleep game as usual. :dash:

If there was any logic to your comment, which there is not, then why would a married woman put on makeup and dress attractively just to go get groceries? Is she planning on cheating on her husband, does she hope to get raped in the parking lot?
Are women supposed to dress in a burka, because some men think women are just walking billboards for sex?
A woman is not a plate of food for men to consume. Women often feel better about themselves if they have been to the hairdresser, found a new outfit they like the look of. Other women will compliment a woman on her appearance, their figure, are they doing it as to sexually attract other women? It's part of our culture, not generally intended to make anyone's mouth water, and not to deceive or play some game.
I don't know why guys sometimes decide to go out in something other than tattered jeans and a torn paint-stained T-shirt, but if a guy did dress up a bit, I wouldn't take it as a sign that I should sexually assault him.
How a male might receive or interpret a woman's choice in clothing, women cannot be responsible for. Nor should they be. If I want to wear something stylish, I can assure you , it is not for the benefit of random men I might meet.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

oldtrucker wrote:So...if a woman is dressing attractively, is she doing it to "attract" men? Is she doing it to attract women? What is dressing "attractively" for? Women know that men are hard wired by evolution to notice curves,and when a woman dresses with showing off those curves intentionally, who is she showing those curves to? Is it a game? Of course it is. Actually the game starts before they even leave the house in the form of "makeup"."Make"-up. It's what it sounds like. The deception starts there and ends with flaunting her sexuality ...but, don't look at her makeup or curves because that's not acceptable anymore.
Get where I'm going with this? It's kinda like advertising a delicious looking plate of food on a billboard and having someone show up to the place that was advertising it and saying to the person that wanted to buy the food that it wasn't for sale and they can't have any because the billboard was only put up there for the sole purpose of making people's mouths water.

have you been at a local gym lately :200:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

HI I'm a guy, sometimes when I'm putting on my clean properly fitting clothing and making my hair into not bedhead I think "Damn I look good today" This doesn't mean I spent that whole time making myself look nice for other people. It just feels nice to look nice, it feels nice in the same way looking like a dirty piece of garbage feels bad. Making it into a deliberately sexual thing (also comparing it to food) is ridiculous and kind of gross.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.

Return to “Social Concerns”