Adulthood now begins at 24

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Re: Adulthood now begins at 24

Post by normaM »

Maybe we need a few more "hoods"
Nearly adulthood
Adultishhood
Agejustanumberhood
Refusetogrowuphood
Whotooktheremoteohthereitishood
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

Well, a blonde with dyed hair told me the 40 is the new 20 and winked at me.

I said "Ma'am, I think mother nature disagrees with you".
Rider59
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Rider59 »

Back in my day, we used to have roommates to share expenses at the beginning. Almost everyone did. Hardly anyone lived alone.

What's wrong doing with that today when one starts out in life. Living wage. LOL
Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick Two
TheBoss
Fledgling

Post by TheBoss »

Well in vernon my parents wouldn't be able to afford the rent for the house 1800+ bills. My dad got into a bad car crash and some how cannot get onto disability but some cracker jack can. So I have my own space down stairs (living room bedroom) share the kitchen with them, help cook clean etc etc. So nothing wrong with that, it's a win win. I have a roof over my head and they have a roof over theirs.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Given the fact that no women in playboy were over the age of 24, Hugh Hefner and all men who looked longingly at his magazines were a pedophiles.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

What if the ones that were looking at the women were males under 20?
Bring back the LIKE button.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Rider59 wrote:Back in my day, we used to have roommates to share expenses at the beginning. Almost everyone did. Hardly anyone lived alone.

What's wrong doing with that today when one starts out in life. Living wage. LOL

It takes a lot of people making $11/hr to afford that $1400/mo 2 bedroom basement suite. Don't forget the utilities on top of that.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Zoso
Übergod

Post by Zoso »

Kids become career students so they dont have to do what their parents did , get dirty.
There are tons of jobs that do not require school . Matter if fact there aren't nearly enough people to fill them.
They would prob pay better if we didnt keep importing cheap labour and buying sweat shop junk .
Strong and free
psychprof
Fledgling

Post by psychprof »

There’s a very entertaining documentary from Doc Zone called Generation Boomerang that addresses this very situation. Apparently in Italy it is common for “children” to stay with their parents until they’re 30.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

psychprof wrote:There’s a very entertaining documentary from Doc Zone called Generation Boomerang that addresses this very situation. Apparently in Italy it is common for “children” to stay with their parents until they’re 30.

Nothing keeps them at home like nonna's cooking.
Bring back the LIKE button.
foodsmith
Board Meister

Post by foodsmith »

JLives wrote:Well your brain isn't fully developed until about 25. When I look back, I was a baby in my 20's. Who had a baby. My kids are welcome to stay as long as they want.

You and I are not unalike on this one: My home will always be open to the kids. It's a family home, after all -- built by us, for us, and its history is 100% about us...

The getaway is for me and the spouse. When we go, we go alone. That one is by us two, for us two, and we want a history 100% about us two. "Our" culture is worth preserving...

As for the brain, it's such a cool orgab in the young. The brain actually continues to develop well into the late 20s, and close to 30 for most people, doing so sequentially -- from the brainstwm up and the inside out.

This will sound funny, but as an exeecise in presence, attunement, patience, and insight into development, I used to encourage parents of Youth and Young Adults I was counselling to grow artichokes. They're a neat visual of the time it takes, the nurturing at each stage, and the separate growth of 'lobe' after 'lobe' tended to help frame things.

Knowing that the Pre-frontal Cortex (the brain's CEO, basically) is barely complete until 28 - 30ish and is responsible for complex 'adult-like' decision-making and logical reasoning, it makes snese that our children are remaining home longer.

Arguably they should have been all along, really -- perhaos our world has just finally matched the level of complexity encountered in the developing brain?
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

Zoso wrote:Kids become career students so they dont have to do what their parents did , get dirty.
There are tons of jobs that do not require school . Matter if fact there aren't nearly enough people to fill them.
They would prob pay better if we didnt keep importing cheap labour and buying sweat shop junk .

Unfortunately, none of us can afford to do otherwise...just like young adults can't afford to take that $13/hr job because they'd still have to live with their parents anyway.

There was a time where you could get a job pushing broom, live on the cheap, and work your way up, both in pay and lifestyle. That's not a reality for most anymore. The cost of living, even cheaply, just doesn't allow for it.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
Leifer
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Leifer »

It is our Western cushy lifestyle.
We have had it so good for so long....kids and households don't have the hunger and drive instilled in them anymore.

I will give you an example.
The company I work for has a internship program we run every couple of years.
It pulls students from all over the Pacific Northwest.

Invariably, it is the immigrant students (or the first Gen from an immigrant family) who elevate themselves and get the employment contract at the end. These students are generally from Pakistan, Indian, China, The Philippines, and Vietnam.

They show up early, they stay late, the volunteer first, maintain a great attitude, and are generally more mature and ready for responsibility. They are hungry....and we are not.

I remember befriending a PAK army officer on exchange several years ago while deployed overseas.
He had been to Canada and simply loved the place and gushed about how lucky I was to be born there (I agreed).

One comment stuck with me through all the years.
"Canada is a very rich country....I know this because even your poor people are fat and well fed. In Pakistan our poor people are very thin and starving".

He had a point.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)

Return to “Social Concerns”