Predatory Marriages

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Catsumi
Buddha of the Board

Re: Predatory Marriages

Post by Catsumi »

dirtybiker wrote:
Catsumi wrote:You know you are old when greasy and grassy odour is just fine, but cardboard flavored beer is so YUK !

So.....That's a maybe then ?

Things are looking up.. :up:

Possibly.

I will ask a younger pal to give me the sniff test. Can I pass the 'best before' all-important divination of aging?

This might come in handy when hunting for rich old men as it's rumoured they don't like grass odour. Always had to nag, "Elmer, mow the grass already. Mutt can't find his way home." Anyway, daisies are doing well in one portion of the yard.

[icon_lol2.gif]
Sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice. There’s a certain point at which ignorance becomes malice, at which there is simply no way to become THAT ignorant except deliberately and maliciously.

Unknown
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

TylerM4 wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:Now all those old guys hoping to get hitched to a woman to look after them forever, will be SOL,

No. They just need to get hitched while they're still of sound mind.

Sounds like the definition of an oxymoron.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

This happened to our family.

My grandma died and within a year, some random woman came in and forced my grandpa to marry her. He had "sundowners dementia" so it got bad as the day went on. Of course when we took him to the doctor in the DAY TIME he wasn't that bad, so we could never get him the help he really needed (or take over as guardian or have power of attorney).

He met this woman OVER THE PHONE, she came in from Ontario to BC and married him. Then he died a year later and she took everything. We got nothing. No mementos, keepsakes or anything. He had a fair chunk of money and property also, but that's not what really hurt. It was losing my grandpa and everything in his house.

She just devastated us all.

And all absolutely legal
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

That was just to highlight that that guy could go somewhere else other than his workplace. :up:
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

I wonder how likely these kinds of marriages are when dealing with elderly who are getting proper support from their family. You know, where the kids make sure that their parent isn't lonely, lacking in human contact, etc. Having had family members grow old, it was clear to me that it was only through the support and contact by family that staved off the worst of the loneliness. I've seen plenty of elderly whose kids couldn't spare them a few hours a week, who turned into vultures as soon as the last breath was drawn.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I remember a woman who was well off enough from her first marriage. She got bamboozled by a guy who went out, dinners, dancing but it was all a ruse. The minute the wedding ring went on, he would sit in one room and demand everything be taken in to him. Now he's too sick to go out and do the stuff they did BEFORE the wedding!

She was Catholic and got the marriage annuled before it was too late. I was under the impression they have a set period of time to do that.

Well, wasn't he surprised!
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
two_shoes1mit
Board Meister

Post by two_shoes1mit »

fvkasm2x wrote:This happened to our family.

My grandma died and within a year, some random woman came in and forced my grandpa to marry her. He had "sundowners dementia" so it got bad as the day went on. Of course when we took him to the doctor in the DAY TIME he wasn't that bad, so we could never get him the help he really needed (or take over as guardian or have power of attorney).

He met this woman OVER THE PHONE, she came in from Ontario to BC and married him. Then he died a year later and she took everything. We got nothing. No mementos, keepsakes or anything. He had a fair chunk of money and property also, but that's not what really hurt. It was losing my grandpa and everything in his house.

She just devastated us all.

And all absolutely legal

I know of a few cases that reflect the above. Nobody has mentioned the Seniors Club in Kelowna - this type of predatory chess game is happening frequently. One spouse dies, and the vultures circle the wagon. They employ some blatant forms of divide and conquer. Befriend the children, figure out the attachments, alienate the one/ones that would cause the most waves. Weight until the eleventh hour - bring in a lawyer and totally revamp the will. Disgusting.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Post by oneh2obabe »

Judge lambastes Legal Aid Ontario after it foots bill for woman who married her ex-boyfriend after he suffered a ‘catastrophic’ brain injury and then spent years fighting his family in court.

In a landmark decision, an Ontario judge has ruled that Legal Aid’s ongoing support of Kathleen Anne Worrod was an “abuse of process” that undermined the public interest and wasted precious judicial resources meant for low-income Ontarians

Worrod’s case forced the family of Muskoka landscaper Kim Kevin Hunt, 57, to needlessly spend hundreds of thousands of dollars of its own money on legal bills, the judge said, ruling that Worrod and Legal Aid are now on the hook.

It is the first time that Legal Aid Ontario has been ordered to pay costs in a losing case it funded. Justice Koke ordered $385,279.54 be reimbursed to Hunt’s family to help offset the expense of their court fight.

Hunt’s sons started legal action against Worrod in 2012 to have her secretive marriage to their father voided, saying he did not have the mental capacity to consent. She fought back, saying she wanted to stay married and claimed ownership of his house.

Full article
https://www.thestar.com/news/investigat ... court.html
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Return to “Social Concerns”