Home based business bylaw

susyq
Fledgling

Re: Home based business bylaw

Post by susyq »

[quote="TreeGuy"]This is from the City of Kelowna's website. The classification is pretty clear.

"home is used for phone and office use only"

[attachment=0]Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 12.24.04 PM.png[/attachment][/quote]

Still doesn't say that Company vehicles can not come to property does it?
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

susyq wrote:That's exactly what Bylaw is saying..... If your home based business like a plumber, tile guy, electrician, blind cleaner, carpet cleaner, taxi, wine tour company etc..... you can not have your vehicle on site. Buddy down the street had his truck he uses for his eaves trough company with signage on it, Bylaw all over the guy for parking in his driveway!!! Just Ridiculous!!!!!

I understand it and I don't.

Did your limo bus have a back up alarm? Was it being backed into your property late at night?

These bylaws have to have a line drawn somewhere to make sure people are being good neighbours.

A regular sized vehicle with signs, parked in the driveway, I don't see how that can be an issue.

I operated my business from my home here on the Westside. I had my small dump truck in the driveway, equipment in the garage and I did maintenance on all of it. But I have a good relationship with my neighbours and they wouldn't complain. Much of the time I think bylaw enforcement is complaint driven.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

Just like I noticed in the by-laws posted above. You are not allowed to have more than 1 visitor for business related purposes, like in-home yoga. That would discloud hair cutters and other salon related activities. Also you are not allowed to build things to be sold off premise, like bird houses, artwork, pottery, candle making, sewing, etc.
It just takes one neighbour to cause you to go out of business.

Here are photos of what a 4100 kg. truck looks like. If it is used for work, you can't have it at your home.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=ford+pic ... 42&bih=579
Bring back the LIKE button.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I'm not allowed to bring my Commercial Vehicle home by law.
(eta my neighbours never cared if I did)

I can stop for lunch (short stay)

I best not clean the windows or vaccum though, that would be a breach.

I may not agree with how right it is,
But,
I sure am glad the playing field is being leveled.

Same application of by-law from Semi Tractor to Prius.
Commercial use vehicle.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
susyq
Fledgling

Post by susyq »

So basically, if bylaw is complaint driven, There would need to be a complaint filed against all the home based businesses with company vehicles at their home? maybe 15,000 home based businesses?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

susyq wrote:So basically, if bylaw is complaint driven, There would need to be a complaint filed against all the home based businesses with company vehicles at their home? maybe 15,000 home based businesses?

Would probably have to be somehow directly affected. (I don't know, I am just guessing.)
Bring back the LIKE button.
lightspeed
Guru

Post by lightspeed »

susyq wrote:That's exactly what Bylaw is saying..... If your home based business like a plumber, tile guy, electrician, blind cleaner, carpet cleaner, taxi, wine tour company etc..... you can not have your vehicle on site. Buddy down the street had his truck he uses for his eaves trough company with signage on it, Bylaw all over the guy for parking in his driveway!!! Just Ridiculous!!!!!

It sounds like you have a bunch of vehicles, commercial and non commercial.

It sounds like you have inadequate parking, and most likely park all over the street.

It sounds like you come and go all day/night with various vehicles. Probably do maintenance on them outside, too.

Please clarify.

If true, you should buy yourself a place with a shop and adequate land for parking. Get out of people's hair and let them enjoy the neighbourhood. Who needs that nuisance nearby.
"Why does everyone in Kelowna act like they're in Hollywood"

A hermit; a recluse; one of the Okanagan "hill people"

All my haters are less successful than me...
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 26th, 2018, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

The women in that video is one of those people, i bet she says "id like to speak with the manager" on a weekly basis...imho :smt045
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

dirtguy wrote:The women in that video is one of those people, i bet she says "id like to speak with the manager" on a weekly basis...imho :smt045

FC53C776-8916-42A3-AB84-AD630451E71F.jpeg
susyq
Fledgling

Post by susyq »

It sounds like you have a bunch of vehicles, commercial and non commercial. << 3 smaller vehicles

It sounds like you have inadequate parking, and most likely park all over the street. <<Have 6 parking spots

It sounds like you come and go all day/night with various vehicles. Probably do maintenance on them outside, too. << Only do daytime service, never the bar crowd

Please clarify.

If true, you should buy yourself a place with a shop and adequate land for parking. Get out of people's hair and let them enjoy the neighbourhood. Who needs that nuisance nearby.[/quote]
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

*removed*
Anyways the best way to combat the bylaw is to get friendly with your neighbor (yes imagine talking to neighbors ) ask him if its ok to park in his driveway because your friends and walk to your house....Truck is not technically on your home based business property and you are visiting your friend.
Last edited by ferri on Jan 26th, 2018, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Post by Symbonite »

susyq wrote:
If true, you should buy yourself a place with a shop and adequate land for parking. Get out of people's hair and let them enjoy the neighbourhood. Who needs that nuisance nearby.

That could go with visual nuisance then as well. Find land for your RV that sits there for 51 weeks of the year.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

susyq wrote:It sounds like you have a bunch of vehicles, commercial and non commercial. << 3 smaller vehicles

It sounds like you have inadequate parking, and most likely park all over the street. <<Have 6 parking spots

It sounds like you come and go all day/night with various vehicles. Probably do maintenance on them outside, too. << Only do daytime service, never the bar crowd

Please clarify.

[/quote]

How many employees do you have?

You left out this little nugget earlier when you were quoting the bylaw....

9.2.2 No person other than residents of the principal residence shall be engaged in the minor
home based business.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

OP,
Go lease a place for your vehicles..simple..

You are not singled out, just the way it is...stupid or not...

If By-law says I can't keep a Semi at home..
the very same By-law says you can't keep your cabs at home.
or
Plumbers van, or, or, or.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

Return to “Central Okanagan”