Hand railings

russellparker

Hand railings

Post by russellparker »

as 16yrs season ticket holder I put this challange to ron mattiussi in a email via gavin hamilton for prospera to install hand railings as this is a safety hazzard .the money is in place but the owners arent interested? could ron make them install these hand railings as a last great thing he does before retiring?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Re: Hand railings

Post by Queen K »

You want hand railings to be installed at Prospera Place in a specific area or for the whole building?

Hand railings are great safety devices and are helpful for people with specific health issues. What is the hold up or did you not get an email back yet?
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

City doesn't own Prospera.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
just popping in
Lord of the Board

Post by just popping in »

And, sir, I remembered this Letter to Editor in 2014, and totally agreed then and now.

Hand-railings on the steps at Propera
Contributed - Jan 9, 2014 / 3:50 pm | Story: 106258
Hand-railings on the steps at Prospera Place
The safety of the patrons that attend the functions at the arena does not seem to be a concern to the powers that be.
I have noticed, from time to time, older patrons having trouble going up and down the stairs. I’m 84 and if there is no action to help people.
Because of this matter, I won’t be buying seasons tickets to the WHL hockey games. I have supported the Kelowna Rockets since they came to Kelowna. I have noticed many arenas with hand-railing on the steps. It makes me wonder how the arena passed final inspection. The safety of people should be at the top of the list.

In addition to another letter that was posted in 2008 about Accessibility issues.

Nothing has changed in 10 years and, unfortunately, no one seems to care about safety and/or accessibility.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

russellparker wrote:as 16yrs season ticket holder I put this challange to ron mattiussi in a email via gavin hamilton for prospera to install hand railings as this is a safety hazzard .the money is in place but the owners arent interested? could ron make them install these hand railings as a last great thing he does before retiring?

Were you should be directing your request is here, the owner of the building.
http://www.gslholdings.com/divisions/mu ... se-arenas/
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

russellparker wrote:as 16yrs season ticket holder I put this challange to ron mattiussi in a email via gavin hamilton for prospera to install hand railings as this is a safety hazzard .the money is in place but the owners arent interested? could ron make them install these hand railings as a last great thing he does before retiring?

It would seem to me with thousands of people coming through weekly that the building would be up to standards and building codes. Liability is a major concern in facilities like this. If the accessibility to certain areas of Prospera is a problem, then reach out to the attendants when you arrive or when you purchase your tickets and see if they can't help you have a more enjoyable/satisfying visit.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Post by JayByrd »

I agree, this is needed at Prospera. Even musty old Rutland Arena installed railings a couple of years ago. However, Ron Mattiussi has no leverage on the owners of the building. No one at City Hall does, unless it's a bylaw or building code issue, which this doesn't seem to be.

As the primary tenant, The Kelowna Rockets might be able to push the building owners to get this done. Perhaps they'd even share in the cost. What the Rockets would need to see is a large group of customers, preferably season ticket holders, speak up about this. I realize that's a long and thankless road but it's the only thing I can think of that might help.
When someone says they pay taxes, you know they're about to be an ******e.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

It's been at least 15 years since I've been in Prospera Place, so I can't really say much other than doesn't Workers Compensation and other government agencies require handrails in such buildings?
If they aren't meeting min government standards it should only take a phone call to get the inspectors out.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

stuphoto wrote:It's been at least 15 years since I've been in Prospera Place, so I can't really say much other than doesn't Workers Compensation and other government agencies require handrails in such buildings?
If they aren't meeting min government standards it should only take a phone call to get the inspectors out.

Occupational Health and Safety only covers workers, not the general public. For this matter the Building Department would be the place to start.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

Letters and petitions are time consuming and do little. Usually it takes a few trips, slips and falls for anything to happen.

Any volunteers? :biggrin:
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
Dizzy1
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Dizzy1 »

alanjh595 wrote:
Occupational Health and Safety only covers workers, not the general public. For this matter the Building Department would be the place to start.

However, it is a place of business - which means there are workers so Workplace BC could have some authority on the matter, no?
Nobody wants to hear your opinion. They just want to hear their own opinion coming out of your mouth.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

Dizzy1 wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:

However, it is a place of business - which means there are workers so Workplace BC could have some authority on the matter, no?

That is what I was thinking. Compo will give most companies one or two chances to be fair. Then they will lower the axe hard.

Return to “Central Okanagan”