Legalized cannabis

jvdlee

Legalized cannabis

Post by jvdlee »

A few Kokanee with the munchies sounds good to me.
botsnot

Re: Legalized cannabis

Post by botsnot »

Good point Gord
Omnitheo
Guru

Post by Omnitheo »

Dumbest thing I’ve read today. Here is the full letter:

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... d-cannabis
t seems next summer will bring on a new wave of pot smokers. It will be perfectly legal and from the number of producers coming out of the woodwork it seems there will be pot everywhere.

So, what happens to those millions of buts? I understand that it will be allowed to smoke weed anywhere smoking is allowed, so it is safe to assume that a large quantity will be disposed of on the sidewalks and roadways of every community.

In Kelowna that means that those buts (THC) will make their way through the storm sewer and into Okanagan Lake. The THC will join the opioids and other chemicals dumped there from the sanitary sewer system. Is it any wonder our marine life is struggling? After doing damage in the lake, those chemicals come back in our drinking water and irrigate our crops, so we all get to share.

If we keep poisoning our food and ourselves, we may not have to worry about climate change. Thanks Justin.

On a side note, if it is ok to smoke pot on the street corner, why can’t I have a beer or glass of wine? Liquor has been legal since prohibition and they are both intoxicating substances.

Firstly, there is not expected to be a huge influx of new smokers over what we would normally expect. People are already smoking, and some tossing butts.

Secondly though, there is a fairly big difference between cigarette butts and joints. Pot smokers I know first of all tend to save their “roaches” (the leftover “butt” of the joint) as these can be re-used, unlike cigarettes.

Secondly, joints are just one of the ways people use marijuana. Most I know prefer to use pipes, bongs, or vapes. Or ingest it.

Thirdly, unlike cigarettes and prescription meds and other things ending up in the lakes, marijuana does not go through any significant chemical alterations or processing. The smoked product is identical to the plant except dried a bit. Therefor water that finds its way into the lake which has touched THC would be no different from water which has entered the lake which has touched the naturally occurring cannabis plant. A plant which has existed alongside nature for thousands of years before our ancestors ever walked through it and licked their fingers.

And finally, in regards to alcohol. There is a fairly big difference between a drunk person and a stoned person. If I had to walk down one of two alleys downtown, one populated with drunk strangers and one with marijuana high strangers, I know which alley I would be less terrified to walk through.
Last edited by Omnitheo on Jan 26th, 2018, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Dishwashers, the dishwasher, right? You press it. Remember the dishwasher, you press it, there'd be like an explosion. Five minutes later you open it up the steam pours out, the dishes -- now you press it 12 times, women tell me again." - Trump
Snman
Übergod

Post by Snman »

Omnitheo, you are a wise one indeed. I don't always agree with your opinion but I do respect it. Well put.
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

I also got a chuckle out of that letter. Chicken Little at his finest.

People are stubborn - they want to cling to their conceptions (in this case "Pot is evil") and will dream up all sorts of reasons for why they're right instead of conceding that they may be wrong.
Nedroj
Übergod

Post by Nedroj »

j watson wrote:Omnitheo, you are a wise one indeed. I don't always agree with your opinion but I do respect it. Well put.

My thoughts exactly. Thank you for taking the time to put these absurdly gross exaggerations of non issues to rest.
'I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand' - Confucius
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

TylerM4 wrote:I also got a chuckle out of that letter. Chicken Little at his finest.

People are stubborn - they want to cling to their conceptions (in this case "Pot is evil") and will dream up all sorts of reasons for why they're right instead of conceding that they may be wrong.

I'm not of the belief pot is evil, the smell of pot is 1 of my problem with it. The other is having a way to have driving high charges actually stick in the court of law.
According to what I seen & heard on this program, it concerns me if will actual do have the that ability
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2017-2 ... d-reliable
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
capleton
Banned

Post by capleton »

GordonH wrote:
TylerM4 wrote:I also got a chuckle out of that letter. Chicken Little at his finest.

I'm not of the belief pot is evil, the smell of pot is 1 of my problem with it. The other is having a way to have driving high charges actually stick in the court of law.
According to what I seen & heard on this program, it concerns me if will actual do have the that ability
http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/episodes/2017-2 ... d-reliable

I don't like the smell of pollution and cow *bleep* but i don't complain, the smell is of pot is really good actually
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

capleton wrote:I don't like the smell of pollution and cow *bleep* but i don't complain, the smell is of pot is really good actually

To each their own then, enjoy that skunky smell
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
miss_sterious
Fledgling

Post by miss_sterious »

I’m not even slightly concerned about a naturally occurring plant wrapped in biodegradable paper finding its way into the eco system. However, if an impaired driver harms any of my kids, I will scorch the earth!
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

miss_sterious wrote:I’m not even slightly concerned about a naturally occurring plant wrapped in biodegradable paper finding its way into the eco system. However, if an impaired driver harms any of my kids, I will scorch the earth!

I've already lost family & close friends to as :cuss: hole drinking drivers.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

So, what happens to those millions of buts?

They're called roaches and get get re rolled into new joints when the stash gets empty..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
Jlabute
Guru

Post by Jlabute »

Lord Kelvin - When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

GordonH wrote:
miss_sterious wrote:I’m not even slightly concerned about a naturally occurring plant wrapped in biodegradable paper finding its way into the eco system. However, if an impaired driver harms any of my kids, I will scorch the earth!

I've already lost family & close friends to as :cuss: hole drinking drivers.

I have also been a victim of DUI. But I was the 1st on scene of 6 boys on 3 bicycles hit by a drunk driver. 2 died at scene, another will never walk again. The driver got stuck in the soft ground in a playground and she was spinning her wheels, still trying to get away.
That was 45 years ago and I still see it as clearly as if it happened yesterday.
I had to appear in 2 different courts to give testimony. She was given 5 years in jail.

I personally witnessed a child with his brains outside of his head, and held another in my arms as he took his last breath. If a stoned driver ever causes me to witness that again, court and jail will be the least of their worries.
Bring back the LIKE button.
username_71

Post by username_71 »

That has to be one of the stupidest letters I have read on here. Thinking a weed could be harmful to fish or pollute water is just dumb. I don't believe the number of people smoking weed is going to increase just because it becomes legal. With the availability and convienence of vape pens and such possibly less will be smoked "the old fashioned way" while out in public. That would keep all the whiners about the smell quiet as well.

Return to “Central Okanagan”