Good at math or not?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Good at math or not?

Post by Urban Cowboy »

dirtybiker wrote:I Am Canadian, I can use both Metric and Standard in one sentence.

Ì went into that 60k corner doing 50mph

So what you're saying is you are a daredevil going 20kph over the suggested limit. :biggrin:

On another note, what concerns me is how do all these cashiers that can't do math in their heads, know when there's been a mistake made if they rely solely on what they see the till say? I mean they could have punched in the cash they were given incorrectly, so if there were change to be given back it would be wrong.

I now wonder if anyone would be shocked, at how often I've been given too much change back, and explained it to the clerk, when I suppose if I was a jerk, I could have just pocketed it and wandered off home.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

alanjh595 wrote: I called it the 4 5 6 rule. Very valuable math as a carpenter.

I guess you're the third type?

It's 3 4 5.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
Veovis
Guru

Post by Veovis »

Queen K wrote:Image

I think a paternity test should happen because looking at the Pythagorean would think that A squared plus B squared didn't make their little C squared
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

Veovis wrote:
Queen K wrote:Image

I think a paternity test should happen because looking at the Pythagorean would think that A squared plus B squared didn't make their little C squared

It's possible they have right angles in their genes.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

36Drew wrote:
alanjh595 wrote: I called it the 4 5 6 rule. Very valuable math as a carpenter.

I guess you're the third type?

It's 3 4 5.

:laugh: YES, you are right! My bad. :up: On the other hand, I checked both equations in my head, too bad I didn't check mine before I posted it. :smt045
Good catch!
:130:
Bring back the LIKE button.
seewood
Guru

Post by seewood »

dirtybiker wrote:I Am Canadian, I can use both Metric and Standard in one sentence.Ì went into that 60k corner doing 50mph I just put 70L in the tank, getting 34mpg."

This side of the Rockies this is being called " bilingual" :biggrin:
I am not wealthy but I am rich
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

TheBoss wrote:Not good at math, I struggled with it in school. The whole number thing i never could wrap my head around. English on the other hand i was very good at. When i was in school (grade 3) It was a split class room grade 3-4. I seen kids reading a book and doing the group book study i asked my teacher if i could do that instead. Her response was well they're in a higher grade than you but i'll let you try. So she put me into this group and she was surprised at how well i did, i was able to understand the story answer questions about it etc etc.

You did not pay attention in English class, you saw kids reading a book.
Waste not
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

TheBoss wrote:Not good at math, I struggled with it in school. The whole number thing i never could wrap my head around. English on the other hand i was very good at. When i was in school (grade 3) It was a split class room grade 3-4. I seen kids reading a book and doing the group book study i asked my teacher if i could do that instead. Her response was well they're in a higher grade than you but i'll let you try. So she put me into this group and she was surprised at how well i did, i was able to understand the story answer questions about it etc etc.

Grandan wrote:You did not pay attention in English class, you saw kids reading a book.

There are a few issues. But forum rules prohibit correcting people’s english.

395A579F-77AE-471D-B4E2-EAF2C098F3EA.jpeg

kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I dig math. I use it daily at work for data analysis and full-cycle accounting. Physics is a trip, love that even more.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

oldtrucker wrote:Good at math? Lets see if someone comes up with the answer for this super important, real world practical math question.---
---At the first lookout area up Knox Mountain...how far can you see line of sight in kilometers looking south assuming no surface obstacles ?
Show your work. Marks will be taken off if you don't.

Did we drive or hike to the first lookout?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Not really any kind of math whiz at all, but I did do well in university statistics courses (of course, I had a keen interest in being able to critically evaluate research), and thanks to my brother who was in the same class, I was able to make through calculus. I do have to admit that calculus was real mind-blowing stuff. Like the value of x as it approaches infinity multiplied by any number, no matter how small equals one. This mathematical condition supports the inevitability of intelligent life existing on another planet, as no matter how small the chance, once multiplied by the size of the universe (approaching infinity, or even infinite if possible) the probability becomes 1.0, or 100%. Fascinating stuff IMO.
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

oldtrucker wrote:Good at math? Lets see if someone comes up with the answer for this super important, real world practical math question.---
---At the first lookout area up Knox Mountain...how far can you see line of sight in kilometers looking south assuming no surface obstacles ?
Show your work. Marks will be taken off if you don't.

So, are you actually just asking a question on line of sight from a certain elevation taking into account the curvature of the earth or are you specifically asking for an answer from that position looking due South taking into account all existing natural features but no additional obstacles on the surface?
Two totally different questions and you are unclear.
You and 71 others Like this post
TreeGuy
Lord of the Board

Post by TreeGuy »

And if you remembered to wear your glasses or not. Also do we have binoculars.
GenesisGT
Guru

Post by GenesisGT »

More importantly is it daytime or night time.
You can see the past but cannot go there, you cannot see the future but you can go there.

Return to “Social Concerns”