10 Safeway to close in Lower Mainland

Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: 10 Safeway to close in Lower Mainland

Post by Urban Cowboy »

fluffy wrote:
Old Techie wrote:I'm just trying to make the point that we need to be careful as to how we rank skills and subsequent pay packages.

Exactly. "Unskilled" is not a term to be bandied about lightly. In many cases its use betrays a prejudicial lack of vision in just what kind of skills are needed to be successful in a so-called unskilled job.

I agree.
In my younger years I recall a couple of times working in a factory environment, and my training in all seriousness consisted of about ten minutes, but it worked in my case because I've always been sort of a Jack of all trades comfortable in a number of areas, yet by definition many would I'm sure call what I did unskilled.

I'd also have to say that I would much prefer those factory jobs I had to let's say flipping burgers at McDonald's which most look down upon as unskilled, yet those workers have to function under a lot of pressure, and frankly the beeping alone would drive me nuts.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

I think in the future we will continue to see older, smaller chain stores close as they realize a decline in area market share. They will give up a certain area to focus on an easier area to gain market share. This will keep on continuing as consumers keep looking for bigger, better, and cheaper. A place where they can walk into, spend 1 hour and come out with 2 weeks groceries, toiletries, entertainment needs, and all other misc. items.
Personally I love my neighbourhood IGA and the personal service you get from them. Yes I pay a little more for somethings, but also the meat, bakery, and produce section is a much higher quality than most grocery chains, and at the end of the day you get what you pay for.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Jhunter199 wrote:I think in the future we will continue to see older, smaller chain stores close as they realize a decline in area market share. They will give up a certain area to focus on an easier area to gain market share. This will keep on continuing as consumers keep looking for bigger, better, and cheaper. A place where they can walk into, spend 1 hour and come out with 2 weeks groceries, toiletries, entertainment needs, and all other misc. items.
Personally I love my neighbourhood IGA and the personal service you get from them. Yes I pay a little more for somethings, but also the meat, bakery, and produce section is a much higher quality than most grocery chains, and at the end of the day you get what you pay for.

IGA east of BC are owned by Sobeys, BC IGA's are owned by H.Y. Louie Co. (same company that owns London Drugs).
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote:
Jhunter199 wrote:I think in the future we will continue to see older, smaller chain stores close as they realize a decline in area market share. They will give up a certain area to focus on an easier area to gain market share. This will keep on continuing as consumers keep looking for bigger, better, and cheaper. A place where they can walk into, spend 1 hour and come out with 2 weeks groceries, toiletries, entertainment needs, and all other misc. items.

IGA east of BC are owned by Sobeys, BC IGA's are owned by H.Y. Louie Co. (same company that owns London Drugs).

Aren't some of the IGA's here independently owned? Pretty sure the one in Winfield is, and the one in Armstrong.
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Old Techie wrote:Aren't some of the IGA's here independently owned? Pretty sure the one in Winfield is, and the one in Armstrong.

Took another look, BC IGA store are independently owned. They are supplied by H.Y Louie co.
You are correct Old Techie
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

The IGA in Winfield and the one in Glenmore are owned by the same person. Kevin. He is a really nice guy and treats all of his staff very well.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

alanjh595 wrote:The IGA in Winfield and the one in Glenmore are owned by the same person. Kevin. He is a really nice guy and treats all of his staff very well.

The owner of the Winfield store used to own the Armstrong one as well, though I don't know if that is still the case or not.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

GordonH wrote:
Old Techie wrote:Aren't some of the IGA's here independently owned? Pretty sure the one in Winfield is, and the one in Armstrong.

Took another look, BC IGA store are independently owned. They are supplied by H.Y Louie co.
You are correct Old Techie

Good to know. That's why I like supporting them.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Just like the one in Penticton and Summerland share the same owner. Not a chain, but a owner run place that has a very noticeable feel when you walk into the store.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Old Techie wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:The IGA in Winfield and the one in Glenmore are owned by the same person. Kevin. He is a really nice guy and treats all of his staff very well.

The owner of the Winfield store used to own the Armstrong one as well, though I don't know if that is still the case or not.

No IGA in Armstrong, its Askew's and they have stores in Armstrong, Sicamous, and Salmon Arm. Enderby has an IGA perhaps thats the one your thinking of.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Jhunter199 wrote:
Old Techie wrote:

No IGA in Armstrong, its Askew's and they have stores in Armstrong, Sicamous, and Salmon Arm. Enderby has an IGA perhaps thats the one your thinking of.

Yeah sorry my mistake, I believe you are correct it's Enderby.

Return to “B.C.”