Daily poll

mnprochnau
Banned

Daily poll

Post by mnprochnau »

Today its shutting down dispensaries. That is a very broad subject and not at all open to interpretation. For example, legal dispensaries ministry of health sanctioned medical marijuana dispensaries. Or, some fly by night non sanctioned and operating without a permit or business licence from the city. Which are you referring to in this poll? Seems to me your anti-marijuana agenda is alive and well. It's no secret that Castanet has a history of one sided journalism on this subject. Why don't you come to the realization that no matter what you promote pot is here to stay and the fact that is has been illegal for so long means nothing now. I for one do not condone the illegal sale of marijuana but am 100% behind the benefits of this plant as a medicine. These properties have been well known far a long time and I pity the fool who thinks otherwise.Shame on you castanet staff for promoting medieval and backward beliefs. this poll leaves no choice and by offering it as a viable account of public opinion you are showing us all how limited you really are in just what is happening now and what is going to happen on July first.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Re: Daily poll

Post by Bsuds »

I assume you are talking about this? It helps to give a link to what you want to discuss if there is one available.

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-story--11-.htm
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Since the Feds have already stated it won't be July 1, that they have to push it back, it still is illegal to sell pot in Canada. I will refer to my post in another forum.

I am not against the legalization of pot. I do believe, however, that it needs to be managed the same way any pharmaceutical is if it's for medicinal purposes. A medical professional (let's call them Doctors for the fun of it) could write a prescription for it, and then you would take it to a place that sells pharmaceutical drugs (since that's what everyone is claiming their for - medical reasons), and just for the fun of it we'll call them drug stores - and you get your prescription filled by someone who went to school for 8 freaking years so they could dispense drugs legally. There is not ONE of these so-called medical marijuana shops that are run by a PROFESSIONAL. They are owned by "Bill" because he used to, or still does, smoke dope. That in itself is NOT a qualification. The drug store would be buying product from a regulated farm, that has to adhere by rules and regulations so that there is a level of consistency of the drug. Oxy is legal if purchased at a drug store, but not on the street, however, you can buy it on the street anytime. It's the same thing AT THIS TIME.

If it's for recreational use, then it should be sold with the same rules and regulations as liquor, either through a Government agency, or a private one. The way these retailers would get their pot would be the same as the drug stores. From legitimate growers.

But for right now, as of Jan 26 2018. marijuana is illegal, so it should not be sold by a legitimate business. I mean, if a pot shop can set up and start selling, then by all means of logic, a crack house should be able be set up as well.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

Tony wrote:Since the Feds have already stated it won't be July 1, that they have to push it back, it still is illegal to sell pot in Canada. I will refer to my post in another forum.

I am not against the legalization of pot. I do believe, however, that it needs to be managed the same way any pharmaceutical is if it's for medicinal purposes. A medical professional (let's call them Doctors for the fun of it) could write a prescription for it, and then you would take it to a place that sells pharmaceutical drugs (since that's what everyone is claiming their for - medical reasons), and just for the fun of it we'll call them drug stores - and you get your prescription filled by someone who went to school for 8 freaking years so they could dispense drugs legally. There is not ONE of these so-called medical marijuana shops that are run by a PROFESSIONAL. They are owned by "Bill" because he used to, or still does, smoke dope. That in itself is NOT a qualification. The drug store would be buying product from a regulated farm, that has to adhere by rules and regulations so that there is a level of consistency of the drug. Oxy is legal if purchased at a drug store, but not on the street, however, you can buy it on the street anytime. It's the same thing AT THIS TIME.

If it's for recreational use, then it should be sold with the same rules and regulations as liquor, either through a Government agency, or a private one. The way these retailers would get their pot would be the same as the drug stores. From legitimate growers.

But for right now, as of Jan 26 2018. marijuana is illegal, so it should not be sold by a legitimate business. I mean, if a pot shop can set up and start selling, then by all means of logic, a crack house should be able be set up as well.

but it is not illegal.it is illegal for you.i have a perscription from my doctor.it is within my rights to buy and possess marijuana.it is far more convenient to go in to a store on the way home and pick up 10-50 bucks worth than it is to order it thru the mail from a licenced producer for a minimum order of 250 bucks and have canada post bring it out from ontario sight unseen .i want to look at it before i buy. i dont want to look at a picture of it on my computer.i want to see it in a bag in my hands.there is a big difference between medical marijuana(legal) and recreational marijuana(currently illegal)
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

And I have no problem with that. I have, however, maintained that if it is medicinal, and I understand it has many medicinal values, it should be sold as any other restricted drug - By a pharmacy, administered by a pharmacist, grown by an approved grower. None, and I repeat, none of the people dispensing medical marijuana are licensed by any body at all, and that's not right - in my opinion. Pharmacists go to school for 8 years to learn their business. What gives a pot head the right to the same line of business?
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Tony wrote:Pharmacists go to school for 8 years to learn their business. What gives a pot head the right to the same line of business?

The reasons pharmacists don't need to be involved:
1. It's impossible to overdose on marijuana.
2. It's a plant, not a pharmaceutical concoction. By this logic coffee and sugar should be prescribed too.
3. You could smoke it everyday and your biggest side effects would be the munchies, laziness (in large qty) and lack of dreams at night.
4. 8 years of study of drugs and I bet a pharmacist wouldn't take half of the drugs they sell, knowing the harmful side effects.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

I'd have to disagree. My sister in law was prescribed something one day and her pharmacist couldn't give it to her because it would interact with another drug she was taking. What do you think they do for the 8 years of school? They study the drugs, their side effects, and their interactions.

Saying that pot is "just a plant" is like saying acid (the drug acid that is) "is just ajax", or Tide pods "are just soap". I get it, there's no chemical in the production of pot, but there are chemicals in pot that have an effect on people. Otherwise there wouldn't be a use for it. Common sense dictates that if it's to be used for medicinal purposes, it must have some sort of "drug" in it. If you couldn't get high from it, then it wouldn't be popular on the recreational side.

Do you get the munchies? Sure. Do you sleep really well? Sure. There are other side effects that the proponents always steer away from. The lack of giving a crap about anything. The lack of motivation. I've known a couple of people who have used pot so much it's ruined their marriage, their jobs/careers, and have left them penniless - the same as an alcoholic can get, so don't say there's no negatives with pot. There is lots.
Jhunter199
Fledgling

Post by Jhunter199 »

Sparki55 wrote:
Tony wrote:Pharmacists go to school for 8 years to learn their business. What gives a pot head the right to the same line of business?

2. It's a plant, not a pharmaceutical concoction. By this logic coffee and sugar should be prescribed too.
3. You could smoke it everyday and your biggest side effects would be the munchies, laziness (in large qty) and lack of dreams at night.
4. 8 years of study of drugs and I bet a pharmacist wouldn't take half of the drugs they sell, knowing the harmful side effects.

How does the use of marijuana react with every prescription drug on the market? Will my pharmaceutical prescription react differently if I also use marijuana? I think these are the reasons why a pharmacist should be involved.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

you know the part on some medications that says do not use if under the influence of alcohol or drugs that's because it can cause serious problems from bad allergic reactions to intensifying the effect of the medication
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Tony wrote: Do you get the munchies? Sure. Do you sleep really well? Sure. There are other side effects that the proponents always steer away from. The lack of giving a crap about anything. The lack of motivation. I've known a couple of people who have used pot so much it's ruined their marriage, their jobs/careers, and have left them penniless - the same as an alcoholic can get, so don't say there's no negatives with pot. There is lots.

There are a lot of negative effects from smoking marijuana. At the least, for me, is the side effect of that it makes you stupid, and with chronic use, leaves you stupid all the time. However, the biggest negatives about marijuana use are currently created by our archaic marijuana laws. Prohibition has never, and never will have any impact on the negatives you identified here. People will continue to use marijuana whether it is legal or not. The move to legalize marijuana use for informed and consenting adults is long overdue. Our drug laws have long caused untold pain and cost to society.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Jhunter199 wrote: How does the use of marijuana react with every prescription drug on the market? Will my pharmaceutical prescription react differently if I also use marijuana? I think these are the reasons why a pharmacist should be involved.

That's a good point. I would hope most responsible adults would ask their pharmacist if marijuana use will contradict the impact of any pharmaceuticals they might be taking. Maybe they'll be more comfortable doing that once it is legal.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

Sparki55 wrote:

If you were smoking weed I would agree with you on #1 but there are cases where buddy ate too many brownies and ended up in Emergency.
There are situations with smoking which can cause one to take pause as for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNKL9onYB_8
Not quite what you would call an OD though.
Waste not
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Ka-El wrote:
Jhunter199 wrote: How does the use of marijuana react with every prescription drug on the market? Will my pharmaceutical prescription react differently if I also use marijuana? I think these are the reasons why a pharmacist should be involved.

That's a good point. I would hope most responsible adults would ask their pharmacist if marijuana use will contradict the impact of any pharmaceuticals they might be taking. Maybe they'll be more comfortable doing that once it is legal.

That's the whole point Ka-El. If the pharmacists are dispensing it, then nobody would have to ask. They'd know because that's their job. It's the whole point of the matter.
Tony
Übergod

Post by Tony »

Ka-El wrote:
Tony wrote: Do you get the munchies? Sure. Do you sleep really well? Sure. There are other side effects that the proponents always steer away from. The lack of giving a crap about anything. The lack of motivation. I've known a couple of people who have used pot so much it's ruined their marriage, their jobs/careers, and have left them penniless - the same as an alcoholic can get, so don't say there's no negatives with pot. There is lots.

There are a lot of negative effects from smoking marijuana. At the least, for me, is the side effect of that it makes you stupid, and with chronic use, leaves you stupid all the time. However, the biggest negatives about marijuana use are currently created by our archaic marijuana laws. Prohibition has never, and never will have any impact on the negatives you identified here. People will continue to use marijuana whether it is legal or not. The move to legalize marijuana use for informed and consenting adults is long overdue. Our drug laws have long caused untold pain and cost to society.

Do you think, in all honesty, that more people will start smoking dope because it's legal????? The laws have nothing to do with the effects of the drug. Anyone who wants to use pot is using it now, the law won't change a thing. I chose not to smoke it, and it being legal won't change my mind. I don't use it because I don't like it. Just to put this into perspective, I grew up in the 70's, so I am very familiar with it. Around Grade 12 I figured that that was a lousy road to travel.
voice of reason
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by voice of reason »

what do you think your pharmacist knows about marijuana?

Return to “Central Okanagan”