Landlords and the new MJ rules

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
AlienSoldier
Übergod

Re: Landlords and the new MJ rules

Post by AlienSoldier »

There is no reason to think "oh poor landlord" or "oh poor tenant".

The landlord accepted a certain amount of risk when he got into the industry, if he didn't then its his fault for not looking into everything. They need to do their due diligence when purchasing the property or renting it out to renters. I know many people who come by the renters current home to sign the papers and see how they live. They also check on the people periodically, and know the laws inside and out so in case of issues they know what rights they have as landlords and the actions they can take. They also build in the cost of the risk into the rent.

For the tenant's, if they get kicked out for stupid reasons that is there own fault. If they can't find a place, then need to look elsewhere. They also need to present themselves in a manner which convinces the landlord that they would be acceptable people to live in at the property.
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Woman I met said they just changed their Strata rules - before owners could smoke on their balconies, now with leg. pot no smoking period. I'd be annoyed if I had bought in that building, she claimed many condo buildings doing same thing.
The whole grow it yourself isn't going to be the best decision. Nothing going to change as it will still be cheaper to buy pot from your source that Govt regulated.
What are ppl going to call the police " I smell weed?" 10 times a day?
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

^^^ if condo owners have issues with strata rules, then get involved & get on the strata board. Then speak up & vote for or against, any of strata rules.

If you are a renter in a strata unfortunately you can't get on the strata board, only owners can.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

GordonH wrote:^^^ if condo owners have issues with strata rules, then get involved & get on the strata board. Then speak up & vote for or against, any of strata rules.

If you are a renter in a strata unfortunately you can't get on the strata board, only owners can.

Not true. The owner can sponsor you.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

normaM wrote:Woman I met said they just changed their Strata rules - before owners could smoke on their balconies, now with leg. pot no smoking period. I'd be annoyed if I had bought in that building, she claimed many condo buildings doing same thing.
The whole grow it yourself isn't going to be the best decision. Nothing going to change as it will still be cheaper to buy pot from your source that Govt regulated.
What are ppl going to call the police " I smell weed?" 10 times a day?

It is happening more and more. Stratas are adopting the no smoking on LCP anywhere which includes balconies. Adapt or move is the new message being sent. This will include MJ.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:if condo owners have issues with strata rules, then get involved & get on the strata board. Then speak up & vote for or against, any of strata rules.

mexi cali wrote:Not true. The owner can sponsor you.

Wow, any owner stupid enough to give that right to a renter is complete idiot imo.
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

GordonH wrote:
GordonH wrote:if condo owners have issues with strata rules, then get involved & get on the strata board. Then speak up & vote for or against, any of strata rules.

Wow, any owner stupid enough to give that right to a renter is complete idiot imo.

Much as we hear endless horror stories about renters, there are some good ones who have good relationships with the property owner.
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

GordonH wrote:Wow, any owner stupid enough to give that right to a renter is complete idiot imo.

mexi cali wrote:Much as we hear endless horror stories about renters, there are some good ones who have good relationships with the property owner.

Of course being given the right to be part of a Strata Council & actually being elected onto that council, is still 2 different things.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I am wondering when stratas and landlords are going to start enacting the "NO bbq Pork" rules?

Where will it end? Where did it start?
Bring back the LIKE button.
LiamHaddock
Übergod

Post by LiamHaddock »

https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/canada/health-canada/migration/healthy-canadians/alt/pdf/drugs-products-medicaments-produits/buying-using-achat-utilisation/cannabis-medical/access-acces/personal-production-personnelle/registration-form-formulaire-inscription-eng.pdf

Scroll to page 5 Section A1. Production Site

Please choose one of the following options:
I will produce marihuana plants at my ordinary place of residence (the address you provided under Section 2 of
the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations Registration Form.)
Or
I will produce marihuana plants at a site other than my ordinary place of residence.
If you selected the second option, please provide the following information for the proposed site where you will
produce marihuana plants:

The proposed production site is my ordinary place of residence or I own or I am a part owner of the site where I will
produce my marihuana plants: Yes No
If you answered yes, please skip Section A2 and move to Section A3.

A2. Production Site Owner’s Consent (if applicable)

The way I read that if it's your ordinary place of residence (the place you live, address on your ID, address you provided under Section 2 of the Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Regulations Registration Form.)

You would be able to skip section A2 (Production Site Owner's Consent).

Now if you wanted to grow somewhere else thats not your primary residence you need permission from the production site owners.

This to me makes sense otherwise those on low income, unable to purchase their own home to grow in would unfairly be discriminated against when trying to find somewhere to live. You shouldn't have to disclose you are growing medical marijuana anymore than you should have to disclose growing Tomato plants or Tobacco in your house. Its legal to grow tobacco in your home if you wish.

Now this is for Medical Marijuana if things will be different for recreational marijuana and obtaining landlord/property owners permission. Time will tell..
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

As tobacco smoke will absorb into both paint & carpets, if pot does the same thing. I would expect damage deposits to increase if that is possible.
I noticed a number of rental apartments (& condos) have no smoking policies.
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

It's the mold that is the byproduct of a grow op that hurts the house. A poorly run op.can cause so much damage that the house would have to gutted to the studs, all of the insulation removed and sterilized and have air quality testing done, before it can all be put back together again. The next issue is trying to get a mortgage on a grow house. the banks won't touch it.
Bring back the LIKE button.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

alanjh595 wrote:It's the mold that is the byproduct of a grow op that hurts the house. A poorly run op.can cause so much damage that the house would have to gutted to the studs, all of the insulation removed and sterilized and have air quality testing done, before it can all be put back together again. The next issue is trying to get a mortgage on a grow house. the banks won't touch it.

That is exactly it.

Who polices the four plant rule? And we all know that even the simpliest directives can't be respected by some.

So it's going to be those people pushing the boundaries of four. Okay, five. Okay now it's eight, now it's four for every family member in the house and hey, I have four kids! So what if one is in diapers, he/she counts!

So now the landlord is dumping rental properties and forcing people out.

Out to what?

Because a lot of landlords are cashing out before their properties are trashed right down to the studs.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

I don't see why everyone is making this so complicated. Seems pretty obvious that setting up your rental basement as a big grow up is going to be against the rules. Landlords should be doing occasional house inspections with new tenants anyway so if they find someone doing that they get reported. If they're growing them outside then they'll generally be visible and growing extras will be a standard risk.

I also think there will be little point in growing that much, I don't see it being cost effective enough to be competitive price wise against the big ones (if they aren't stupid and greedy).

Also getting pot smoke smell off a wall is as hard as using vinegar /lemon juice and water and wiping the walls down. Its not like rooms that have had cigarettes smoked in them where you literally have to scrub sticky tar off the walls. I've cleaned both (separate use cases) and the difference is immediate and obvious, pot smoke gets cleaned up easily through normal vacancy cleaning, cigs need way more care.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Post by Queen K »

I have seen home totally destroyed by smoking cigs indoors. The to point of total gut is the only way out.

My thing is the numbers of pot plants climbing up and what is a landlord going to do about the inevitable.
As WW3 develops, no one is going to be dissing the "preppers." What have you done?

Return to “Social Concerns”