Automatic Gratuity

dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Automatic Gratuity

Post by dirtybiker »

Keeping tips off the machines has better chance of it going to staff
instead of the Government.

Actually look at the bill, not just the total.

Proceed from there.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

There is no way to hide it.....revcan will simply assess tax on what it "should be"......received or not and declared or not. They have done very comprehensive audits in the past of this industry and they have been exhaustive in their taxing of tips.
You and 71 others Like this post
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

Glacier wrote:Why should the servers get paid so much more than the cooks?

I think it only fair for tips to be split proportionately between servers, cooks, bartenders and wait staff etc., everybody contributed to the overall experience of the patrons, however, its the server that has the most influence in the experience being he/she is the "face" of it all and therefore should likely be entitled to a larger share.
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

RVThereYet wrote:
Glacier wrote:Why should the servers get paid so much more than the cooks?

I think it only fair for tips to be split proportionately between servers, cooks, bartenders and wait staff etc., everybody contributed to the overall experience of the patrons, however, its the server that has the most influence in the experience being he/she is the "face" of it all and therefore should likely be entitled to a larger share.

I don't agree that the server has the most influence on the experience.
The primary reason you are there is for the food.
The chef, the assistant cooks, the kitchen help all play a part in the quality of the food.
The server plays a part in the guest feeling welcomed and catered to.
The server is certainly not more important than the others - in fact several restaurants have suffered or even failed when they lost their chef - though I never heard of one failing because they lost their server. Splitting tips equally is in my opinion the only fair and equitable way to go.
Anonymous123
Lord of the Board

Post by Anonymous123 »

Critical kitchen staff, chef, sous chef etc, are generally paid more than servers. Most restaurants have the servers tip out a percentage of their cash out to the kitchen and the bartender.
Be careful when you follow the masses.
Sometimes the M is silent
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

lensbaby wrote:
RVThereYet wrote:I think it only fair for tips to be split proportionately between servers, cooks, bartenders and wait staff etc., everybody contributed to the overall experience of the patrons, however, its the server that has the most influence in the experience being he/she is the "face" of it all and therefore should likely be entitled to a larger share.

I don't agree that the server has the most influence on the experience.
The primary reason you are there is for the food.
The chef, the assistant cooks, the kitchen help all play a part in the quality of the food.
The server plays a part in the guest feeling welcomed and catered to.
The server is certainly not more important than the others - in fact several restaurants have suffered or even failed when they lost their chef - though I never heard of one failing because they lost their server. Splitting tips equally is in my opinion the only fair and equitable way to go.

I don't care how good the food is, if the server is unfriendly, rude, inattentive, breaks some etiquette rules etc., it negatively affects the overall experience and makes me leave less of or no tip at all, but that's just me.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

RVThereYet wrote: its the server that has the most influence in the experience being he/she is the "face" of it all and therefore should likely be entitled to a larger share.

My son is a Chef and try and get repeat business if you are serving crappy food and I don't care how good the server is.

I would bet that if the patrons could see what goes on in a kitchen they would either never return or give the staff bigger tips.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

McDonalds seems to be doing okay and get lots of repeat business. Just sayin'
Bring back the LIKE button.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

LANDM wrote:There is no way to hide it.....revcan will simply assess tax on what it "should be"......received or not and declared or not. They have done very comprehensive audits in the past of this industry and they have been exhaustive in their taxing of tips.

That sound a little crazy to me.
Paying tax on something that may or may not have been recieved based on
the tally at the end of a bill.

Yup, sounds legit !

If I were to be taxed on income for income not recieved I would be switching
paths quicker than you could say, "cheque please."
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

alanjh595 wrote:McDonalds seems to be doing okay and get lots of repeat business. Just sayin'

Trump eats there and I would bet he doesn't tip either.

Maybe they could make him the mascot for Fatburger? :biggrin:
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

I object!!!! FatBurger is good food. I don't like the name, but it is still good food.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

OOooppppsss....okay.

When I was in China and ate at the restaurants there, tipping was frowned upon.They say that tips, "Spoil the people". I have had more than one waitress chase me out of the restaurant with the change that I left on the table, clutched in both hands and tried to return it to me.
I have many stories about tipping in China. ........I wonder now if she turned the money over to the boss or shared it with the others. I am talking about maybe $1 CAN tip for a table of 4.

Return to “Central Okanagan”