Judicial System Failed Us.

oldtruck

Judicial System Failed Us.

Post by oldtruck »

Here is yet again another example of what rape culture looks like; " Gardecki said: “Girls can say anything they want ... they're like that, you know, they freak out about anything. If they don't like somebody, they may do that, right? They may say something more intense than whatever is even happening.” The victim is not believed. She was further traumatized by having to sit close to the accused in the court room. Lawyers, judges and juries, for the most part, do not have any knowledge of how trauma memory is stored in the brain. It is fragmented, much like a slide show with missing slides, shown very quickly before the viewer has a chance to see the image fully. Add misogyny to the mix and this is why the judicial system fails victims, men as well as women. A good place to start in understanding trauma memory is to read the work of Peter A. Levine Ph.D, starting with "Waking the Tiger."

I truly hope this woman has some resources available for her. As a survivor myself of sexual violence, I will say that healing is possible with the guidance of helping witnesses and support from compassionate people.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/2 ... -failed-us
Tfishwood

Re: Judicial System Failed Us.

Post by Tfishwood »

Judge and jury should be forced go to councilling w victims. A new pic and home
addresss, place of employment ( ha ) about perv should be published and a list of hobbies.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

we're talking about the judicial system.
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
lensbaby
Board Meister

Post by lensbaby »

When he is found not guilty, after a full trial, and a jury that deliberated for more than a day were unanimous in their decision, then maybe he wasn't guilty!
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Tfishwood wrote:Judge and jury should be forced go to councilling w victims. A new pic and home
addresss, place of employment ( ha ) about perv should be published and a list of hobbies.

same old crap ,the cops do there jobs ,and the system lets them walk :cuss:
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
RVThereYet
Übergod

Post by RVThereYet »

something tells me that there is more to this story than what is in the media...
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Tfishwood wrote:Judge and jury should be forced go to councilling w victims.
The jury requested clarification and they do have to abide by the law as it is set out. You can't change the law to suit a specific agenda and I doubt the jury took much satisfaction in their decision - their hands are tied.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Catri
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Catri »

The way local media generally report things, I trust the story less than I trust the courts.
Danielson99
Board Meister

Post by Danielson99 »

We protect people from wrongful conviction by demanding proof of a crime being committed. I have not read the details on this case but I'm assuming that if there were fingerprints or dna left at the scene it would have been a clear-cut conviction. Surely there would have been a facial/head/body hair left under those sheets, possibly saliva. Finger prints on anything he touched. Did they simply go to court with a he said - she said case and expect a conviction?

If there was no physical evidence he was even there and he was not caught at the scene, is our court system not doing it's proper duty by vindicating this guy?
K-Dub

Post by K-Dub »

The fact that he couldn't contain himself or his impulses (as reported by a few women in the community) while being on trial for being unable to control himself or his impulses is very telling.
Ken7
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Ken7 »

lensbaby wrote:When he is found not guilty, after a full trial, and a jury that deliberated for more than a day were unanimous in their decision, then maybe he wasn't guilty!

It also depends upon they victims and how they were able to articulate what occurred. Remember in the Criminal Court it must be beyond a reasonable doubt. As it states the "accused" did not give evidence.

Sadly, another one gets away. Not much one can do. Wish the victims success in getting over their trauma can not say how they must feel, on both ends the system and what occurred.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

K-Dub wrote:The fact that he couldn't contain himself or his impulses (as reported by a few women in the community) while being on trial for being unable to control himself or his impulses is very telling.

If that's true then we can only hope that eventually he either gets the help he needs or is put in jail.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
youjustcomplain
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by youjustcomplain »

the truth wrote:same old crap ,the cops do there jobs ,and the system lets them walk :cuss:

Or is it possible that the victim in this is the defendant?

What If you go have a fun night with a girl, then she decides to accuse you of rape. Sure, this likely doesn't happen all that often. But when you blindly believe the woman, you are opening the door to her abusing the system.
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

youjustcomplain wrote:Or is it possible that the victim in this is the defendant?

What If you go have a fun night with a girl, then she decides to accuse you of rape. Sure, this likely doesn't happen all that often. But when you blindly believe the woman, you are opening the door to her abusing the system.

Did you miss this?

The boyfriend of one of the women, who had just returned home, ran after the suspect.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

youjustcomplain wrote:Or is it possible that the victim in this is the defendant?

Fancy wrote:Did you miss this?

The boyfriend of one of the women, who had just returned home, ran after the suspect.

So then she cry's rape so her boyfriend doesn't get mad at her for fooling around on him. (possible)
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!

Return to “Central Okanagan”